Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 10:46 AM

205 posts, read 197,363 times

Advertisements

Looking forward to getting over there and seeing what the city has in mind.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1675...10586430430307
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 08:22 PM

205 posts, read 197,363 times
Here's the master plan for the Civic Center site. The only thing keeping me from jumping on board with the art district idea is I think we need some type of arena. Not as big as what we have but something

http://www.cityofmobile.org/pdf/1711...esentation.pdf

Old 11-15-2017, 06:23 AM

5,024 posts, read 9,275,550 times
I would say we we need a bigger arena and move the Senior Bowl to the new arena. Having a bigger arena would allow the city to attract bigger NCAA bowl games. A 50k-60k arena would be nice. Mobile already has an arts district but if they want to expand on it.Then there is a lot of underutilized land near Broad street where that could happen.If they are going to put residential with a smaller arena venue then high density should be the route to take it because it would compliment the skyline.

Last edited by PortCity; 11-15-2017 at 06:41 AM..

Old 11-15-2017, 07:25 AM

427 posts, read 389,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I would say we we need a bigger arena and move the Senior Bowl to the new arena. Having a bigger arena would allow the city to attract bigger NCAA bowl games. A 50k-60k arena would be nice. Mobile already has an arts district but if they want to expand on it.Then there is a lot of underutilized land near Broad street where that could happen.If they are going to put residential with a smaller arena venue then high density should be the route to take it because it would compliment the skyline.
With all the new apartments being built downtown is there really demand for more high density housing though? I would love for there to be, but it seems like a ton of new apartments/lofts are being built or are going to be built in the next year or so.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Mac View Post
With all the new apartments being built downtown is there really demand for more high density housing though? I would love for there to be, but it seems like a ton of new apartments/lofts are being built or are going to be built in the next year or so.
I agree with you on that. I just saw that as an option and if they were to go with the residential mixed use.Then high density would be the best option.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:18 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,277,533 times
They should build a new ~5,000-capacity ballpark there and a new ~10-12,000-seat arena. I had a plan designed for this exact scenario a while ago on my pc. Will look if I can find it and share it.

But basically I had a huge lake behind the ballpark and the stands were facing the skyline, so you'd see water and the skyline. On the opposite end of the lake was a boardwalk with carnival rides. Directly behind the ballpark about 2-300 feet north was a street similar to Dauphin Street where bars and venues would be. On the other side was the new arena. The idea was everything would be within walking distance.

I also had housing planned as well but probably the best bet is what PC is recommending with high density like a 300 or 400 unit condominium, maybe 2 or 3. The height would add to the skyline, but only 3-400 feet.

Total cost I estimated was $250 to $350 million excluding any housing. That would include the arena, ballpark, retail, lake, carnival rides and boardwalk.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC View Post
They should build a new ~5,000-capacity ballpark there and a new ~10-12,000-seat arena. I had a plan designed for this exact scenario a while ago on my pc. Will look if I can find it and share it.

But basically I had a huge lake behind the ballpark and the stands were facing the skyline, so you'd see water and the skyline. On the opposite end of the lake was a boardwalk with carnival rides. Directly behind the ballpark about 2-300 feet north was a street similar to Dauphin Street where bars and venues would be. On the other side was the new arena. The idea was everything would be within walking distance.

I also had housing planned as well but probably the best bet is what PC is recommending with high density like a 300 or 400 unit condominium, maybe 2 or 3. The height would add to the skyline, but only 3-400 feet.

Total cost I estimated was $250 to $350 million excluding any housing. That would include the arena, ballpark, retail, lake, carnival rides and boardwalk.
My guy ! I like the way you think ! Dis you go to the Civic center meeting ? And if so I hope you offered this idea.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:49 PM
MPC

Quote:
My guy ! I like the way you think ! Dis you go to the Civic center meeting ? And if so I hope you offered this idea.
I didn't get to make due to work but here is the plan I was talking about. I thought I put housing on there but did not. However, I used more land than would be used for the civic center

Old 11-16-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC View Post
I didn't get to make due to work but here is the plan I was talking about. I thought I put housing on there but did not. However, I used more land than would be used for the civic center
Dopeness ! I think the extra land could be shrunken by transforming the parking lots from surface to deck. And since it would blend in with the skyline I hope it wouldn't be anything basic but more in the line of this https://goo.gl/images/fgoZUo

I like your concept and it would be cool if the city would consider it.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:18 PM
MPC

Quote:
Dopeness ! I think the extra land could be shrunken by transforming the parking lots from surface to deck. And since it would blend in with the skyline I hope it wouldn't be anything basic but more in the line of this https://goo.gl/images/fgoZUo

I like your concept and it would be cool if the city would consider it.
It'd be dope if they were to build a parking deck like that. I wonder how much that would cost though. Would be a great thing to revitalize the area. In my plan above you could add parking decks which would make room for high-density housing.

I think it would be cool to leave a Baybears game (if they stay) and walk just 1-2 minutes and depending whether you have kids or not, hit the bars or eat by the lake; or only walk a couple more minutes and ride rides at the boardwalk.

There would be a possibility to include even more venues, such as a bowling alley, arcade, miniature golf, kart racing, movie theater, paintball course, etc. Even the idea of adding an open-air market, even though they already have plans for this at Mardi Gras Park.

Just as a side note to my plan, the arena is modeled after the Ford Center in Evansville, IN, the domed stadium is modeled after the Georgia Dome and the ballpark is modeled after Hank Aaron Stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area