Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 05:14 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Interesting, since the majority of Audi owners I know are women, with A5,Q5, and Q7 primary vehicles for the lady in the household. And a reason why two bought the A5-series, one coupe and one convertible, was because of the pleasing aesthetics of the interior and exterior. I would not say Audi is feminine, but like Mercedes has a range of models that are gender-neutral.
I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest that Mercedes is feminine for everyone. that's the perception I have an maybe its skewed from my personal history. I would say that from what I see around, I see many more men in audis than women. my brother had an a5 for a while but got rid of it because it was too small for him.

my other point is probably more relevant. I see some really cool looking Mercedes out there but those are the ones you look up online and they are super expensive. the ones closer to 30-50k don't really impress me visually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 06:30 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
I love Audis and hate what MB has been doing with their cars. I saw a MB 3 series on the road last week that looked just like a Honda Accord to me.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:37 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,983,847 times
I guess Mercedes is feminine if rear-wheel drive and big V8's and the new, more aggressive styling is feminine.

I definitely think Audi is more feminine, if I have to choose.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:40 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Can you be more specific? Which smaller cars does the design not look good on? Which larger cars does it look good on?
bmwguydc was pretty spot on. The design lanuage doesn't translate well on the C-class or CLA-class in coupe and sedan forms. The most glaring is the CLA where they obviously tried to bring the CLS and E-class coupe design language down, but it just ended in awkward proportions. The current design language needs a longer body to look right. The CLA basically looks like it was squished, while the C-class looks like it was cut-off. I have no issue with the design of any of the others. The E-class, is OK in my book and I do like the overall design of the S-class.

Comparatively Audi and BMW's design language translates well down their range. An A3/4/5 is just attractive and poportionate as a A6/7/8.

Quote:
How do you live in a country club? Or do you simply mean he's there all the time?
The phrase is a figure of speech which means he is there a lot.

Quote:
Things are "status symbols" to some, and simply genuinely enjoyed by others. Sometimes I think the people who are quick to assume somebody has something as a "status symbol" simply don't understand and/or are unable to appreciate it, or maybe they're jealous. I think what the people who yell "status symbol" are going for is that the person who has it is shallow and must have it because they want to show off, but in reality I think often times the accuser is the shallow one, considering their inability to appreciate the depth and understand that some people genuinely enjoy nice things. But don't get me wrong, I know that some people do acquire things they don't necessarily truly appreciate to show off.
There is no blanket term you can apply to any particular car about its ownership group. One important demo you left off this one though is the business customer. Many Mercedes and other highend sedans, especially in the 7/A8/S class of vehicle are company owned cars for executive transportation. They are bought specifically as a symbol in that case.

Quote:
I guess Mercedes is feminine if rear-wheel drive and big V8's and the new, more aggressive styling is feminine.

I definitely think Audi is more feminine, if I have to choose.
I don't think anyone necessarily said Mercedes was feminine, but the base design language is certainly slanted towards "neutral" with certain performance models being a little more "masculine". Also, it doesn't matter the drivetrain when it comes to feminine or not. Ever see a pink Komen cancer Mustang or Mary Kay Mustang? Decidedly "masculine" car that looks pretty darn feminine in pink.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,033,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I love Audis and hate what MB has been doing with their cars. I saw a MB 3 series on the road last week that looked just like a Honda Accord to me.
MB 3-series? What?

Old 01-21-2014, 03:34 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
MB 3-series? What?
I don't know the designations. Maybe C something?

Anyway it looked just like a Honda Accord. Pretty much ugly.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:45 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Was walking down Madison Avenue (Manhattan, NYC) last night and passed the current trendy "hot" Upper East Side restaurant of the moment. Of the cars waiting out front with drivers for their employers Audi's (A8) dominated with a smattering of Lexus and a few BMW's.

While you do see lots of Mercedes Benz on the UES of Manhattan Audi, Range Rover, and Lexus are more common. Of the MB's you see lots of the E class station wagon, or the GL series. The last is currently duking it out with Range Rover as full sized SUV of choice against the Range Rover especially for families with children. GLK series is seen often enough as is the C class.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:28 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,299,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Was walking down Madison Avenue (Manhattan, NYC) last night and passed the current trendy "hot" Upper East Side restaurant of the moment. Of the cars waiting out front with drivers for their employers Audi's (A8) dominated with a smattering of Lexus and a few BMW's.

While you do see lots of Mercedes Benz on the UES of Manhattan Audi, Range Rover, and Lexus are more common. Of the MB's you see lots of the E class station wagon, or the GL series. The last is currently duking it out with Range Rover as full sized SUV of choice against the Range Rover especially for families with children. GLK series is seen often enough as is the C class.
I'd love too see one of these broke down on the Eastern side of the sierra to actually see who gives a schitt first? Would they ride in that big azz truck that doesn't care about the environment? maybe, they'd wait for a Lexus to pick them up?

Old 03-01-2014, 12:48 AM

65 posts, read 81,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
If I had a new Mercedes in the driveway, that'd tell potential burglars that lots of other expensive stuff (that they could easily pawn for drug money) lives at my house... even if that isn't true. It'd earn me a much higher risk of break-in, for sure. (They'd find that I have very little worth stealing, but once they're inside, they'd take whatever they thought could buy them some coke.)

But it is true that a gun lives at my house. That is the image I want to project.
What a load of crap! Most burglaries are committed in daylight when no one is home. Which negates your beater car in the driveway theory for burglary protection. Get a big dog for protection and a nice car with all the windows for yourself.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:51 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romie Roi View Post
What brand of car mostly used by wealthy people? Ans-Mercedes? BMW? Lexus?
If any one answered it then your are partially right because it was find according latest study done by researchers at Experience Automotive (and published on Forbes), 61% of wealthy people actually drive Hondas and Toyotas and Fords.
In high school we read two books that have had a lasting impact upon me; one was "Rich Kids" by John Sedwick.

From the book and social observations since one learned that money from the best of old values places an emphasis serviceability and value for money over flash and trendy brands.

You can walk all over the UES and find beat up old wrecks or at least very late model autos you assume belong to doormen or servants. When someone dressed in dowdy or at least not decked out in Chanel or Versace opens the door to the thing it confirms your suspicions. Little do you know that the "bag lady" or "homeless looking" man could by and sell most of us hundreds of times over.

Persons that are secure in who and what they are do not need an auto that costs several hundreds of thousands. I mean when you get down to it what is the purpose of an auto? Once that question is settled all you need is something that will get you from point "A" to "B" and back reliably. Comforts do matter but is there really that much of a difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart