Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 12:39 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,652,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
Because really rich people can afford the really expensive repairs.
you're not kidding ,a friend of mine was dumb to buy a mercedes and just about went bankrupt with the repairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 04:33 PM

382 posts, read 804,986 times
$30K a year and well on his way to becoming a millionaire. You need to invest BIG money to reap the benefits of investing. This guy...

Old 01-18-2014, 04:37 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
i dont know what really rich is can you define? i have known many mercedes owners they were not as rich as me and frankly many of them could not afford to properly take care of their vehicle.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:50 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,247,257 times
I have a Mercedes and I am FAR from being rich... In fact, my Mercedes needs some repair and I cant even afford to fix it.

Anyone on here that is RICH and has more money than they know what to do with have about $1500 they want to send my way so I can get it repaired?

Old 01-18-2014, 04:55 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,988,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I agree. I find the higher end Mercedes to be nice looking cars, but the lower end ones not so much. I don't think their current design language translates well on the smaller cars.
Can you be more specific? Which smaller cars does the design not look good on? Which larger cars does it look good on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
Takes a lot of self control to get rich. I was just talking to a friend last night about that. He's 26, been working 30k a year or less jobs since he turned 18, has well over 100k in the bank, an 800whp c6 vette, just sold the cleanest fc rx7 with a 400whp lsx in it, has a big diesel truck, and lives in the country club.
He started investing in mutual funds at 19 with a broker. Said his smallest return has been 12%. 39% this year. He's never bought a new car, pays cash for everything, doesn't pay interest, and doesn't go out blowing money. Looking at him, he looks like a typical 26 year old. He's well on his way to becoming a millionaire. The housing market where he lives is a buyer's market. He's about to step into the real estate world. He has a lot of restraint.

I do not. I've made more than him, by triple, from work income and have little to show for it because I blew a lot of it. I'm 31 with kids and don't have half his restraint. After hitting this rough patch for the last year, it's made me more aware, and want to follow his example. I've just landed a pretty sweet job. My first course of action is get caught up, pay off and cut my credit cards, get out of my truck loan (sell with cash on top) and invest/save. It's really hard, there's so much I want to buy, but I don't want my kids being broke again.

I had a good job for the last 8 years, as long as the money came in, I didn't worry. Well, the money dried up and it was rough.
How do you live in a country club? Or do you simply mean he's there all the time?

Old 01-18-2014, 04:56 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
had to think about it for a bit. i think that not many rich do. i think rich wana be's buy mercedes.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:57 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,745,280 times
It's a status symbol. Rich people buy expensive items.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:04 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,988,662 times
Things are "status symbols" to some, and simply genuinely enjoyed by others. Sometimes I think the people who are quick to assume somebody has something as a "status symbol" simply don't understand and/or are unable to appreciate it, or maybe they're jealous. I think what the people who yell "status symbol" are going for is that the person who has it is shallow and must have it because they want to show off, but in reality I think often times the accuser is the shallow one, considering their inability to appreciate the depth and understand that some people genuinely enjoy nice things. But don't get me wrong, I know that some people do acquire things they don't necessarily truly appreciate to show off.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:29 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,421,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
from my uneducated view, a really attractive Mercedes is very expensive while a really attractive audi is less expensive. also, my mom always had Mercedes growing up and it has a somewhat feminine feeling to the brand for me. an audi feels more like a young stud muffin car.
Interesting, since the majority of Audi owners I know are women, with A5,Q5, and Q7 primary vehicles for the lady in the household. And a reason why two bought the A5-series, one coupe and one convertible, was because of the pleasing aesthetics of the interior and exterior. I would not say Audi is feminine, but like Mercedes has a range of models that are gender-neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I agree. I find the higher end Mercedes to be nice looking cars, but the lower end ones not so much. I don't think their current design language translates well on the smaller cars.
I agree as well, with respect to the smaller Benz models that are not as able to carry through the design from the S/SL/CLS/SLS. The E would be the cutoff from my view, though the current design is somewhat bland, not that the C is not a decent car, but the rear and sides are too clipped. The CLA is the model that I find completely unappealing in terms of design as the design cues look strange on a car of those proportions.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-19-2014, 02:55 PM

42 posts, read 72,107 times
If you look at the wealthiest streets of London - where houses can hit 20million plus -there are very high number of Merc S class
Most popular car though is Range Rover- where there can be at least 3 to a street
And at least every other rd will have a Lexus RX400h -the choice of the conservative multi millionaire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart