Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:40 AM

39 posts, read 85,599 times

Advertisements

I am not rich (I do well but far from rich) and I bought a Jaguar XKR over an SL. the SL just looks "blah" next to my car. I've been a car guy my whole life and my XKR vert is a weekend/fun car which is a hobby/fun thing to drive and own. If I got tight financially I would be able to get rid of it and keep my daily driver that is 11 yrs old with 160k miles on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 PM

994 posts, read 1,595,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritsmassboy View Post
and poor people and young people get audi?
Because Mercedes Benzes are expensive toys/lawn ornaments!

Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,173,482 times
A guy working the night shift at my adult foster care home has a Mercedes. I doubt he's rich. Although it's a 1990's model.

My little sister has a mid-2000's Audi. I wouldn't say it's an especially luxurious car, but certainly not one for "young and poor people". Repairs on it cost a fortune. A "poor people" car would be more like a 1997 Ford Taurus with 160,000 miles.

Interestingly, probably the wealthiest member of my extended family drives a Suburban with 270,000 miles on it. Her husband drives another older Suburban with about 170,000 miles on it, and their daughter drives an older Volvo station wagon with around 150,000 miles on it. They put their money into their house, trips, motorhomes, their yacht (err...sailboat), etc. They're upper-middle-class by my estimation, but not all rich people, even those for whom money is not an object, drive expensive vehicles.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 PM

102,313 posts, read 108,503,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritsmassboy View Post
and poor people and young people get audi?
Your definition or "really rich" and "poor" are very strange. What country do you live in? The really rich get Bentleys, Lamborghinis, and Rolls Royces.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 4,521 times
Smile Some Topics about Mercedes and affordability

Ok so what I am writing is not meant to offend or judge anybody socially or economically. To purchase a brand new Mercedes, You need to be rich weather it is entry level or not. To buy a CPO car, not always but it is still expensive and is out of financial reach for most. If you buy a Mercedes it is expected that you can afford to maintenance, fuel, and pay for the car. To maintenance some over 3-4 years can coast near to a brand new base model ford. Now I own a Mercedes (not to brag) so I know alot about them. Now another topic to bring up that I read on another forum, Are mercedes common? There are probably around 5-7 million towns in the USA. So roughly 20,000 of those towns are very wealthy which is where the mercedes, Bmw, Land rover, Audi, Porchea, Bently, and some other brands are common. That may sound like a lot of towns but it actually is not when compared to the amount of towns that are in the USA. These wealthy areas are mainly found in the wealthiest states like Florida, California, New Jersey, New york, Masachuesetts. Now these towns are only in certain parts of the states. So when you see a Mercedes its only common and normal in your small community but not really outside it. Yo may see an exspensive car driving to get somewhere through a non aflluance area but it does not mean that it is from there. Now I am very fortunate to live in a very wealthy community (not to brag), where you see a lot of them but when I leave my area I don't see them anymore. You may see alot also because The german cars stay on the road forever so they add up. So Mercedes are not common they are only popular in small areas that they consume and their are not a lot of them so it may seem like they are all over the place but they are really and truly not they, are rare in most places. A 3rd topic I want to hit is why mercedes tend to coast less then a Bently would. Well Bentlys are hand built which does not make them better, It just coasts the company a fortune to pay someone to build the car which raises the price significantly. I bet it coasts the brand 50,000 to pay the employee to build each car so then they add another 50k so that the company does not loose money paying the employees. Now they are at 100,000$ so if the car if the car was not hand built like an s550 Mercedes, which is right under 100,000$ or above, The Bently would be priced about the same as well. Bently also needs to make a profit so including the hand built coast they need to add an extra 100,000$. The 50,000 is part of the shipping, tax, dealer profits, etc. So Mercedes and Bently make around the same profit per unit.

I hope that nobody takes any thing that I wrote the wrong way I am not trying to Show Off!

Old 01-16-2014, 10:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,821 posts, read 58,392,967 times
My friends in Singapore are not rich... one bought a Mercedes cuz it was cheaper to insure than his Nissan, and much more in the line of 'Creature Comfort'.

If I was driving in rural / remote USA (or urban), I would much rather have a MB than a Bentley (for a CAR...Made in DU vs UK is a 'no brainer')

I sold my last MB for $400. The buyer (nor I) were 'Rich People'

Your status may vary.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:50 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,927,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1234 View Post
Ok so what I am writing is not meant to offend or judge anybody socially or economically. To purchase a brand new Mercedes, You need to be rich weather it is entry level or not. To buy a CPO car, not always but it is still expensive and is out of financial reach for most. If you buy a Mercedes it is expected that you can afford to maintenance, fuel, and pay for the car. To maintenance some over 3-4 years can coast near to a brand new base model ford. Now I own a Mercedes (not to brag) so I know alot about them. Now another topic to bring up that I read on another forum, Are mercedes common? There are probably around 5-7 million towns in the USA. So roughly 20,000 of those towns are very wealthy which is where the mercedes, Bmw, Land rover, Audi, Porchea, Bently, and some other brands are common. That may sound like a lot of towns but it actually is not when compared to the amount of towns that are in the USA. These wealthy areas are mainly found in the wealthiest states like Florida, California, New Jersey, New york, Masachuesetts. Now these towns are only in certain parts of the states. So when you see a Mercedes its only common and normal in your small community but not really outside it. Yo may see an exspensive car driving to get somewhere through a non aflluance area but it does not mean that it is from there. Now I am very fortunate to live in a very wealthy community (not to brag), where you see a lot of them but when I leave my area I don't see them anymore. You may see alot also because The german cars stay on the road forever so they add up. So Mercedes are not common they are only popular in small areas that they consume and their are not a lot of them so it may seem like they are all over the place but they are really and truly not they, are rare in most places. A 3rd topic I want to hit is why mercedes tend to coast less then a Bently would. Well Bentlys are hand built which does not make them better, It just coasts the company a fortune to pay someone to build the car which raises the price significantly. I bet it coasts the brand 50,000 to pay the employee to build each car so then they add another 50k so that the company does not loose money paying the employees. Now they are at 100,000$ so if the car if the car was not hand built like an s550 Mercedes, which is right under 100,000$ or above, The Bently would be priced about the same as well. Bently also needs to make a profit so including the hand built coast they need to add an extra 100,000$. The 50,000 is part of the shipping, tax, dealer profits, etc. So Mercedes and Bently make around the same profit per unit.

I hope that nobody takes any thing that I wrote the wrong way I am not trying to Show Off!
With your spelling and writing skills, no one here believes you are driving a late model Mercedes-Benz.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:57 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,734,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
With your spelling and writing skills, no one here believes you are driving a late model Mercedes-Benz.
Indeed. And I'm not "rich" by any stretch of the word, but if I want a Benz, new or CPO, I'm going to go buy one. I suspect there are a fair few others that could easily afford a Benz but choose not to.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:12 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,329,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Speak for yourself!

I have read about many people who were not so highly skilled at reading / writing or never graduated high school, and they did quite well in business - could buy a whole fleet of Mercedes. I've also read of college graduates who can't find a job and are flat broke. Note I heard of a plumber who makes $80,000.00 a year and people who unload bananas from ships making $40,000.00 a year (union).

You also can't tell by the clothes they wear. A car salesman told me someone can look like a bum, but come in and buy 5 pick-up trucks - pay cash.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,810,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Speak for yourself!

I have read about many people who were not so highly skilled at reading / writing or never graduated high school, and they did quite well in business - could buy a whole fleet of Mercedes. I've also read of college graduates who can't find a job and are flat broke. Note I heard of a plumber who makes $80,000.00 a year and people who unload bananas from ships making $40,000.00 a year (union).

You also can't tell by the clothes they wear. A car salesman told me someone can look like a bum, but come in and buy 5 pick-up trucks - pay cash.
Okay, don't judge the book by the cover, more millionaires drive F150's, we get it. Well...I read the book and agree wholeheartedly with PokerMunkee...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart