Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 04:30 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,902,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Because Mercedes are really expensive.
Not true. Audis are.. on average
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 05:56 AM

46 posts, read 143,475 times
i drove by rich houses and the cars on the back all say s class idk.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:26 AM

12,969 posts, read 13,704,728 times
Because it cost more to be poor than it does to be rich, At least that what a social worker relative of mine once told me . A poor person has to buy a car on a regular basis their entire driving life, a rich person who could afford $40,000 or $60,000 (German made) car could conceivably drive the same car their whole life. With anything, the more value you can afford the cheaper it is in long run.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:50 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,390,603 times
I am in middle management and make around 65K a year.
My wife makes a bit more than I do.

We live in a very middle class neighborhood with a mixture of technical blue collar and white collar residents.

I drive a 2010 BMW 760 LI sedan . it runs a twin turbo V-12 and is 120.00 more a month than our house mortgage.
I get razzed by my neighbors because of how much of a presence my car makes.

I scrimped and saved and even took on an extra job to pull together a decent down payment for it.

I purchased my car because I wanted the top of the top in the BMW lineup to the exception of the aftermarket Alpena 7 series.

My point is just because someone is driving a Mercedes S class or BMW 7 series doesn't mean their wealthy.
I'm not wealthy by a long shot.

To the OP, you do realize their are more to Audi's than a A-4 right?

A guy I work with has an S-8 sedan and wants me to go to the track to race him. LOL!!!

To the OP, you show me a 23 year old punk who can afford an S-8 and your premise outlined in your initial post will hold weight.

And what's this blanket statement you made about Mercedes being driven by wealthy people?
Have you priced a base model C-class? You can get one of those new for thousands less than some similarly equipped American and Asian vehicles.

Come back with a strong statement with proof to back your baseless claim or walk away.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:56 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,413,554 times
It's not just rich people who drive Mercedes.
Back in the 80's, business was very good for me and since I could write off the cost of a "business car" I bought an S class Mercedes just to experience what it was like to drive a car like the rich people.
When I took the car in for it's first 1,000 mile check the headlight didn't work and that cost $100 along with the $5.00 windshield washer refill. What a let down, it took three tries to get the radio to keep working, the alarm horn started going off one day when the car went in for service. When I took some friends out to dinner the rear window fell of the track.
The service mgr. at the dealer wore a three piece suit and more gold rings than I could count. Somebody has to pay for all that jewelry and I guess it's the customers.

So owning a MB for me was no biggie but since I paid so much for that pig I kept it for 17 years and finally traded it in for a Maxima that has been trouble free so far after 11 years.

Just my opinion but MB is overrated.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:59 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,184,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It's not just rich people who drive Mercedes.
Ain't that the truth. I've got a Mercedes and I'm definitely not rich.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,032,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Because it cost more to be poor than it does to be rich, At least that what a social worker relative of mine once told me . A poor person has to buy a car on a regular basis their entire driving life, a rich person who could afford $40,000 or $60,000 (German made) car could conceivably drive the same car their whole life. With anything, the more value you can afford the cheaper it is in long run.
I'm willing to say that this makes no sense. Can you not drive a $15,000 car your entire life? With regular maintenance, any car will last for many many many years, the German made car can do the same. And because both are mechanical machines, designed and built by men, both will break at some point, or another...but because both are mechanical machines, made by men, both can be fixed.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:11 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,125,321 times
Owning a Merc was one of the worst car purchases I ever made. My SL600 was a very nice car... when everything was in working order. I had problems with the suspension module, the pneumatic pump for the hard top, and the seat ventilation fans. The plastic trunk trim fell off/bent, so the top would sometimes think it was closed when it wasn't, a common problem.

All in all, the hassles of keeping it in good working order far outweighed how nice it was to drive. I still contemplate buying an S65 from time to time, but whenever I do, I think back to that SL and decide against it.

Most of the people I know that have a Merc have another car as a backup, because they know they will have problems.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,129,165 times
I don´t care who buys them as long as they keep doing it :-) so we all keep our jobs here.

Any opinions on the new A class other than it being a bit of copy of the BMW 1 series? I tease people here by calling it an Einser Mercedes.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 AM

46 posts, read 143,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I am in middle management and make around 65K a year.
My wife makes a bit more than I do.

We live in a very middle class neighborhood with a mixture of technical blue collar and white collar residents.

I drive a 2010 BMW 760 LI sedan . it runs a twin turbo V-12 and is 120.00 more a month than our house mortgage.
I get razzed by my neighbors because of how much of a presence my car makes.

I scrimped and saved and even took on an extra job to pull together a decent down payment for it.

I purchased my car because I wanted the top of the top in the BMW lineup to the exception of the aftermarket Alpena 7 series.

My point is just because someone is driving a Mercedes S class or BMW 7 series doesn't mean their wealthy.
I'm not wealthy by a long shot.

To the OP, you do realize their are more to Audi's than a A-4 right?

A guy I work with has an S-8 sedan and wants me to go to the track to race him. LOL!!!

To the OP, you show me a 23 year old punk who can afford an S-8 and your premise outlined in your initial post will hold weight.

And what's this blanket statement you made about Mercedes being driven by wealthy people?
Have you priced a base model C-class? You can get one of those new for thousands less than some similarly equipped American and Asian vehicles.

Come back with a strong statement with proof to back your baseless claim or walk away.
you pay your entire pay check on a 100,000 car cmon get an e class for 50,000. your suppose to pay 1/3 of your pay salary on a car sounds accruate 100,000a year a 33,000 car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart