Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the lack of sun bothering you this winter?
Yes it's beyond horrible I'd rather sun with freezing cold 12 29.27%
No it's winter it's supposed to suck 29 70.73%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 02:01 PM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

I've gotten my fill of winter now. Bring on spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 02:42 PM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Now that this winter has been oddly warm, and temperatures bounce back into the 50s after a few cool days... will the flowers and trees bloom a little bit earlier? Especially for this warm, sunny winter?

Im in Boston on April 15-17 and am hoping for some green because my friends have never seen Boston with leaves on the trees or flowers in the ground.

Old 02-06-2023, 03:30 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Now that this winter has been oddly warm, and temperatures bounce back into the 50s after a few cool days... will the flowers and trees bloom a little bit earlier? Especially for this warm, sunny winter?

Im in Boston on April 15-17 and am hoping for some green because my friends have never seen Boston with leaves on the trees or flowers in the ground.
Ticks and allergies will be active. Unfortunately you’re still going to be about a month early for most spring foliage and flora. The grass is still pretty green around here, so there’s that.

Old 02-06-2023, 04:00 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:

We all know the best time to go to mass is Sept to Nov. Your friend should come then

Old 02-07-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
We all know the best time to go to mass is Sept to Nov. Your friend should come then
oh we definitely will.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:57 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
We did go to Loon this weekend and skied Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon. Friday was the worst weather-wise with high winds and frigid temperatures. But we bundled up and stuck to the enclosed lifts. It was actually not so bad. Nobody was there and the conditions were nice - we last about 2.5 hours because it simply got too cold. Saturday was warmer, less windy, and sunnier. But a mechanical issue with the Gondola limited skiing to 10 trails off of a single lift. We quit after 2 hours because of the relative crowds and lack of variety, not the temperatures. Sunday and Monday were fine (though the Gondola was still down). Typical weekend crowds on Sunday, and Monday was the best day of the weekend. Absolutely frigid, but not unbearable.

I'm not surprised, but it's amazing how bad the issues with pipes have been. My mother in SE Mass. had a few inches of water in her basement on Sunday until my brother could go down and shut the water off. The insurance company is giving her a hard time. There are 12 houses on her street and 3 of them had burst pipes. I've seen a number of businesses with the same issues.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
We did go to Loon this weekend and skied Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon. Friday was the worst weather-wise with high winds and frigid temperatures. But we bundled up and stuck to the enclosed lifts. It was actually not so bad. Nobody was there and the conditions were nice - we last about 2.5 hours because it simply got too cold. Saturday was warmer, less windy, and sunnier. But a mechanical issue with the Gondola limited skiing to 10 trails off of a single lift. We quit after 2 hours because of the relative crowds and lack of variety, not the temperatures. Sunday and Monday were fine (though the Gondola was still down). Typical weekend crowds on Sunday, and Monday was the best day of the weekend. Absolutely frigid, but not unbearable.

I'm not surprised, but it's amazing how bad the issues with pipes have been. My mother in SE Mass. had a few inches of water in her basement on Sunday until my brother could go down and shut the water off. The insurance company is giving her a hard time. There are 12 houses on her street and 3 of them had burst pipes. I've seen a number of businesses with the same issues.
I went to Loon in early January and it was so warm, little crowds, but quite enjoyable. Most/all of the snow was manmade.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:37 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
will the flowers and trees bloom a little bit earlier? Especially for this warm, sunny winter?
I've already got some of my perennials starting to poke up through the mulch. A bit early for sure.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:19 AM

914 posts, read 562,491 times
Quote:
Spring bulbs will be in bloom, and saucer/star magnolias as well, and cherry trees along the Esplanade, as well as in Arnold Arboretum and the garden cemeteries (Mount Auburn and Forest Hills). It's possible leaf out for early-leafing trees and shrubs can be as early as that if this pattern obtains through then (though mild winters are often balanced by chilly Aprils because of back-door cold fronts off the chilly Gulf of Maine, though that body of water is several degrees above average right now).

In terms of average temperatures and phenology*, Boston's growing season climate in recent years has become what the growing season climate of Long Island and northern NJ was 50 years ago. (Our January this year was like an average January in DC in temperature terms, but obviously not insolation (sunlight) terms.)

* to keep track of how spring is trending vs historical averages, bookmark this:

https://www.usanpn.org/news/spring

Old 02-07-2023, 10:41 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
You don't usually see full leaves on the trees until around April 27th in Boston . Even if it's a warm winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts