Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the lack of sun bothering you this winter?
Yes it's beyond horrible I'd rather sun with freezing cold 12 29.27%
No it's winter it's supposed to suck 29 70.73%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 07:31 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Compared to most winters here, this is pretty tame.
Exactly. If this keeps up, this'll go down as the "winter that wasn't".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 07:34 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
By the way is there still a drought with all this rain and snow? I feel like it rains every 2 days. But every spring/summer there is a water ban.
No more drought the weather man and lady said we have had plenty of rain. I love droughts that means more sun.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Exactly. If this keeps up, this'll go down as the "winter that wasn't".
We have had several winters like this but with more sun. It is very warm .several people I know say the weather with lack of sun is bothering them. Sometimes we get a mild winter than get slammed with snow in February.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
That's why I left the Boston area and moved to AZ. For me, it was the best decision ever. No more SAD, go for a walk in the sun anytime, no winter wardrobe, etc. However, this has been a strange winter, and it's been unusually cold and rainy with heavy overcast for most of the past month. Those "atmospheric river" rains that hit CA were big enough to hold together across the desert. We sorely need the water, but the persistent gloom and the damp, raw chill were seriously depressing. Too reminiscent of March and April in New England.

The pattern is breaking this week and the sun is out in all it's glory, but it's still abnormally cold (low 50's going down near freezing at night). Not supposed to get back to normal temps for another week, but if the sun is all you're after, you'll enjoy your trip.
Ya I'm leaving tonight some people on this forum say lack of sun does not bother them. We have had very little snow which sucks too. I can take any weather New England throws at me except lack of sun. Arizona looks like a nice place to live but I'd miss the seasons.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:49 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I want snow.

Give me at least one good storm. 24" of fluff. After that...we can move on to spring.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Has it been cloudier than normal? Seems pretty normal to me...

But I grew up in Michigan where it's grey for the entire winter (November through January average less than 110 hours of sunlight A MONTH, that's less than 40% i.e. 60+% of daylight hours are overcast), then I lived in Sacramento that isn't even 50% sunny for December and January (but over 92% sunny May through September). An average Boston winter is sunnier than Sacramento and much, much sunnier than Michigan.

The lack of snow has sucked though.
Ya it can be cloudy in the winter but this winter really has lack of sun. Some people are not bothered by lack of sun I don't get that. Michigan sounds horrible. Seattle has a high suicide rate and I would not be surprised if the dreary weather was not a factor. Ya sometimes we get lack.of snow than we get hit hard in February. I would like more snow myself. I have been told by several people it's never this cloudy and gloomy. The days are shorter which does not help either.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:00 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I would imagine if it was colder, the days would be a lot sunnier. This 30-40 degree range just allows a lot of moisture to hang around which creates the cloud cover as water is evaporating from soil.

If we has a prolonged cold snap under freezing, the ground would be frozen solid for weeks and it would be a lot more drier than it has been.

Really this weather pattern we in just seems to lean towards cloudy, raining weather.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:02 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,878,990 times
As the owner of a large multi - state timber harvesting (logging) company I need the snow of Winter to help 'skid' the timber .Northern Mass is lacking that with above ave temperatures only a half foot snow cover.

Last edited by ben young; 01-23-2023 at 08:10 AM..

Old 01-23-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I would imagine if it was colder, the days would be a lot sunnier. This 30-40 degree range just allows a lot of moisture to hang around which creates the cloud cover as water is evaporating from soil.

If we has a prolonged cold snap under freezing, the ground would be frozen solid for weeks and it would be a lot more drier than it has been.

Really this weather pattern we in just seems to lean towards cloudy, raining weather.
That's what I'm hoping for colder temperatures and more of a chance to snow too.we have had snow teases with 2 inches and then it melts right after.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:25 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Not in MA anymore (VT) but winters without snow are the worst. I would take snow every day over 33-45 and rain. MA winters drove me north to be able to actually enjoy them but this winter has been terrible. Like a March that never ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts