Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the lack of sun bothering you this winter?
Yes it's beyond horrible I'd rather sun with freezing cold 12 29.27%
No it's winter it's supposed to suck 29 70.73%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 08:24 PM

16,305 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

I hadn't really noticed the lack of sun. Fine by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2023, 08:33 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,729,269 times
By the way is there still a drought with all this rain and snow? I feel like it rains every 2 days. But every spring/summer there is a water ban.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:30 AM

962 posts, read 468,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
No it's not too cold but the lack of sun is driving me nuts. Has the weather the past 3 weeks bothered you? I need the sun and am flying out of here to sunny Arizona.. I can't take it anymore going for a week .

I have never seen it like this with such lack of sun any winter. I'd rather freezing cold with sun then this warm dreary winter..

That's why I left the Boston area and moved to AZ. For me, it was the best decision ever. No more SAD, go for a walk in the sun anytime, no winter wardrobe, etc. However, this has been a strange winter, and it's been unusually cold and rainy with heavy overcast for most of the past month. Those "atmospheric river" rains that hit CA were big enough to hold together across the desert. We sorely need the water, but the persistent gloom and the damp, raw chill were seriously depressing. Too reminiscent of March and April in New England.

The pattern is breaking this week and the sun is out in all it's glory, but it's still abnormally cold (low 50's going down near freezing at night). Not supposed to get back to normal temps for another week, but if the sun is all you're after, you'll enjoy your trip.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:34 AM

531 posts, read 424,384 times
I can definitely see where the lack of sun can be really hard as I sometimes suffer from seasonal affective disorder as well. However, I’ve been trying to beat that with long walks and find that the mild winter is allowing me to do so. Sun would be nice but this weather is definitely better than frigid temps and tons of snow for those who like exercising outdoors.

Enjoy AZ tho! That sounds like a fab trip. Scottsdale or even Canyon Ranch in Tucson sounds lovely right about now.

Last edited by Remy11; 01-23-2023 at 12:43 AM..

Old 01-23-2023, 03:47 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,374 times
No S.A.D. for me, and I have a history of facial skin cancer. This winter has been GREAT; especially for those of us with reduced lung capacity. I'm staying in New England!

Old 01-23-2023, 06:17 AM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
No it's not too cold but the lack of sun is driving me nuts. Has the weather the past 3 weeks bothered you?
Has it been cloudier than normal? Seems pretty normal to me...

But I grew up in Michigan where it's grey for the entire winter (November through January average less than 110 hours of sunlight A MONTH, that's less than 40% i.e. 60+% of daylight hours are overcast), then I lived in Sacramento that isn't even 50% sunny for December and January (but over 92% sunny May through September). An average Boston winter is sunnier than Sacramento and much, much sunnier than Michigan.

The lack of snow has sucked though.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:29 AM

432 posts, read 414,072 times
Lack of snow on the ground is what gets me. It makes up for the lack of sun.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:31 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
I like the snow hate the rain.
I agree. If it's winter it needs to be winter and that means snow! Snow is a vital part of the ecological cycle of New England and helps to regulate the temperature of the Earth's surface. It also provides protection to plants and organisms over the winter and when it melts in the spring it slowly fills streams, rivers and lakes enriching the soil.

Like you, I found this winter to be intolerable with the turning point being around December 17th when the pattern changed and the snow and early season cool temperatures turned warmer. It ruined the skiing which started out as one of the best seasons in years. After 3 weeks of gray skies, rain and dreariness, I bailed on skiing and headed south to Florida where it has been sunny with nearly a cloud in the sky for the past 2 weeks. When the snow returns so will I.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:07 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
The big downside from lack of sunshine is that my solar panels don't produce much. For me the best part of winter is the coziness, and I can get coziness from dreary rain. I really hate the super-cold, and even though the solar panels might produce more, I need more energy to heat my house (and if there has been snow previously, even if it is sunny, if it is really cold, the solar panels might still be covered with snow or ice).

So, I'm content with this type of winter. I might like a little more sun, but I'm happy to trade it for staying in the 30s and 40s.

Funny thing is, I was in AZ from 12/28 to 1/2 and it was dreary, cloudy, and rainy the entire time.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:30 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
I've concluded that it's the short days that get to me. Saps the incentive for doing/planning evening activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts