Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the lack of sun bothering you this winter?
Yes it's beyond horrible I'd rather sun with freezing cold 12 29.27%
No it's winter it's supposed to suck 29 70.73%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 08:31 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Up here in Quebecistan, rain is not welcome in mid-winter. It usually means that the temps
Will drop sooner rather than later, and cause damage, or at least ice over streets, sidewalks, driveways, etc…

Extreme cold days here are generally very sunny. Usually. That means that even minus 25C or -13F is fairly pleasant. I often walk on colder sunny days where the sun hits the back of my parka and gloves and I feel warm. Winter is, at least here, different every day, it's a state of flux. I like it better when there is a bunch of snow on the ground, though.
I do too. I believe I've read that snow reflects most sunlight during the day (whereas bare ground absorbs more) which makes the temperature reading a little colder, but it can feel warmer (like sitting in a sun patch) because of the strength of the reflected sun (part of the reason skiers get sunburns in less forested parts of the world and you see people in T-shirts on sundecks in the Alps in the middle of winter). My understanding of the physics is probably wrong, but there's a psychological component for me too - the bare trees and ground look and feel colder to me on a gray winter day than a blanket of snow on the ground and trees.

Boston's a weird place in the winter. It's not quite consistently cold and snowy enough to "take advantage" of the winter the same way places like Montreal, Quebec City, or Reykjavik do. But Copenhagen isn't too far off in terms of climate, snowfall, etc. and still manages to be a more active place in the winter. No reason we can't be better. Dressing the part makes a huge difference. One thing I've noticed in Montreal (and other cities where people don't let the cold grind outdoor life to a halt) is that parkas, mittens, snow boots, and heavy-duty winter hats are the norm. Apart from the Canada Goose crowd (who will sport the $1200 parka even if it's 60 degrees), I don't see nearly as many people dressed for comfort here in winter temps. Enough to walk from the house to the T or from the car to the store, but not enough to comfortably spend time outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 01:14 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,124,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I do too. I believe I've read that snow reflects most sunlight during the day (whereas bare ground absorbs more) which makes the temperature reading a little colder, but it can feel warmer (like sitting in a sun patch) because of the strength of the reflected sun (part of the reason skiers get sunburns in less forested parts of the world and you see people in T-shirts on sundecks in the Alps in the middle of winter). My understanding of the physics is probably wrong, but there's a psychological component for me too - the bare trees and ground look and feel colder to me on a gray winter day than a blanket of snow on the ground and trees.

Boston's a weird place in the winter. It's not quite consistently cold and snowy enough to "take advantage" of the winter the same way places like Montreal, Quebec City, or Reykjavik do. But Copenhagen isn't too far off in terms of climate, snowfall, etc. and still manages to be a more active place in the winter. No reason we can't be better. Dressing the part makes a huge difference. One thing I've noticed in Montreal (and other cities where people don't let the cold grind outdoor life to a halt) is that parkas, mittens, snow boots, and heavy-duty winter hats are the norm. Apart from the Canada Goose crowd (who will sport the $1200 parka even if it's 60 degrees), I don't see nearly as many people dressed for comfort here in winter temps. Enough to walk from the house to the T or from the car to the store, but not enough to comfortably spend time outdoors.

Yes, I agree with dressing well for the part. In the oast couple of years, I’ve been more assiduous as far as walking twice a day, my dog is my master, lol.

I bought a good Canadian Parka, (Audvik) and boots (Pajar) and mittens for very cold weather when g’oves just won’t cut it. If you dress properly, you can spend a decent amount outdoors and feel pretty good, barring frozen exposed face.

Of course, the dreary grey days of winter are a drag when you have supped on them until
March. I just find that a lot of people treat winter like it is a disease, like a cancer you need to fight off until you are well again. I mean there are a lot of cities and towns that even in perfect weather, are deserted in terms of street life.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:27 PM

12,393 posts, read 9,493,040 times
For what it's worth, in Quebec City (not the province):
- Average snowfall is 124in
- January 29 temps - average high/low are 20F/6F
- Winter solstice day length is 8hr32min
- Average 82hrs of sunshine in December

Whereas in Boston:
- Average snowfall is 53in
- January 29 temps - average high/low are 36F/23F
- Winter solstice day length is 9hr4min
- Average 142hrs of sunshine in December

Sounds like some of our winter lovers need to head north to get more of a good thing!

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 02-24-2023 at 05:49 PM..

Old 02-24-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
For what it's worth, in Quebec City (not the province):
- Average snowfall is 124in
- January 29 temps - average high/low are 20F/6F
- Winter solstice day length is 8hr32min
- Average 82hrs of sunshine in December

Whereas in Boston:
- Average snowfall is 53in
- January 29 temps - average high/low are 36F/23F
- Winter solstice day length is 9hr4min
- Average 142hrs of sunshine in December

Sounds like some of our winter lovers need to head north to get more of a good thing!

Right. Some might consider that triangle in Northwestern NY state where some cities experience the biggest yearly snowfall in the lower 48. Buffalo and Syracuse are pretty cold too!

Old 02-24-2023, 11:11 PM

12,393 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Right. Some might consider that triangle in Northwestern NY state where some cities experience the biggest yearly snowfall in the lower 48. Buffalo and Syracuse are pretty cold too!
I currently live at the northeast corner of Massachusetts, but I spent 5 years working at Kodak in Rochester, NY. Those suburbs can get really intense and very local "lake effect" snow off Lake Ontario - which happens when cold but warm-er air with very high humidity that's been picked up off the lake meets the colder air at the shoreline, and all that moisture condenses out as snowflakes. It can be difficult to see, and I mean amazingly so, because the air is just dense with these huge white crystals, and you can drive 15 miles south and see significantly less snow. Temperatures there were about the same as in Newburyport, MA but snowfalls were definitely heavier. My first winter, we had 3 feet fall overnight at my house in Victor - I open up the garage door in the morning to walk the dog - because I couldn't open the storm door - and I am looking at snow, not drifted, that is up to my hip and clear skies. This was an honest 36 inches of snow in less than 24 hrs. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that here - neither that total, nor that rate of snowfall to do that in just one night.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 02-24-2023 at 11:37 PM..

Old 02-25-2023, 03:00 AM

Quote:
I currently live at the northeast corner of Massachusetts, but I spent 5 years working at Kodak in Rochester, NY. Those suburbs can get really intense and very local "lake effect" snow off Lake Ontario - which happens when cold but warm-er air with very high humidity that's been picked up off the lake meets the colder air at the shoreline, and all that moisture condenses out as snowflakes. It can be difficult to see, and I mean amazingly so, because the air is just dense with these huge white crystals, and you can drive 15 miles south and see significantly less snow. Temperatures there were about the same as in Newburyport, MA but snowfalls were definitely heavier. My first winter, we had 3 feet fall overnight at my house in Victor - I open up the garage door in the morning to walk the dog - because I couldn't open the storm door - and I am looking at snow, not drifted, that is up to my hip and clear skies. This was an honest 36 inches of snow in less than 24 hrs. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that here - neither that total, nor that rate of snowfall to do that in just one night.

Yeah! That's pretty intense, lol.

Old 02-26-2023, 11:27 AM

913 posts, read 560,292 times
Quote:
That said, Rochester's lake effect dissipates fairly steeply in geographic terms once you get to and south of the Onondaga Escarpment that runs 15-20 miles south of the Niagara Escarpment. And while Syracuse can get heavy wet lake effect snow, Rochester's tends to be more powder.

Old 02-26-2023, 06:11 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
Snow requires shoveling, and snow/slush/ice make for hazardous driving conditions, and even hazardous walking conditions for older people.
Snow and the snow melting compounds that are used to melt ice on walkways are also notorious for getting tracked into houses and making a mess indoors.

Old 02-27-2023, 07:11 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Snow and the snow melting compounds that are used to melt ice on walkways are also notorious for getting tracked into houses and making a mess indoors.
That was the one thing I was happy about this winter up to this point. No salt/calcium in the house and on the carpet of the cars.

Old 02-27-2023, 07:25 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,123,096 times
I have not used my one-year-old snowblower once this season. It's still in the shed and I don't think I'll pull it out for tomorrow's event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts