Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the lack of sun bothering you this winter?
Yes it's beyond horrible I'd rather sun with freezing cold 12 29.27%
No it's winter it's supposed to suck 29 70.73%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 04:59 PM

12,380 posts, read 9,483,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Bread, milk, eggs, i.e. commonly purchased perishable items. Also the three ingredients for , which I can only assume is the morning-after-blizzard family favorite.

Also, milk goes bad if you have no electricity in spring, summer, and winter. If the power goes out in a blizzard, though, outside is a perfectly acceptable substitute for indoor refrigeration. As someone who grew up in the deep south and California, this possibility absolutely blew my mind the first time told me about it.
They are all staples. Milk is the closest thing there is to a complete food. Eggs are extremely versatile, as is bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 08:25 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
The only things I like to stock up on for a blizzard.

Snowblower gas. Dunks coffee.

Everything else can wait a day til they clear the roads. Seriously. Every landscaping truck in the state will have a plow on it by tomorrow. The roads will be clear pretty much the instant it stops snowing. I can’t remember the last time we had a storm that overwhelmed the road clearing crews. Maybe when we got there major storms with 18”+ in a row about 10 years ago?

Old 03-13-2023, 05:35 AM

12,380 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Well, Newburyport is now up to 6-8in totals in the NECN forecast. The real heavy accumulations in Mass are forecasted west of Worcester, 12-18in, and also in the Berkshires - as much as 24in there - this will be a major snowstorm for them. For most of eastern Mass, it's a mix of rain, sleet and heavy snow. There is forecasted to be high winds right along the coast, so could be some powerlines down.

I always have at least a week's worth of coffee and fixings in the house - snowstorm or not, I can't live without coffee!

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-13-2023 at 05:51 AM..

Old 03-13-2023, 08:29 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,340,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I can’t remember the last time we had a storm that overwhelmed the road clearing crews. Maybe when we got there major storms with 18”+ in a row about 10 years ago?
They push the snow and if there is already a lot of snow pushed you are done, moving or melting the snow is a completely different story. I guess a couple of 18" storm back to back are plenty. That's not very common luckily.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:38 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,340,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Well, Newburyport is now up to 6-8in totals in the NECN forecast. The real heavy accumulations in Mass are forecasted west of Worcester, 12-18in, and also in the Berkshires - as much as 24in there - this will be a major snowstorm for them. For most of eastern Mass, it's a mix of rain, sleet and heavy snow. There is forecasted to be high winds right along the coast, so could be some powerlines down.

I always have at least a week's worth of coffee and fixings in the house - snowstorm or not, I can't live without coffee!
GFS right now gives over 30in in the Berkshires and close to 30in in northern Worcester county.
ECZMWF gives similar results for the Berkshires but up to 36in in a small area in northern Worcester county (probably around Mt Wachusett)

Regardless that's a lot of snow.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:57 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
The low for the week down here in the Massachusetts banana belt is supposed to be 35F. The Woods Hole NOAA station shows a 41F ocean temperature. Your basic nor’easter with 50 mph gusts and a lot of horizontal liquid. The lawn will probably be white on Wednesday morning but the driveway will likely melt as it comes down. The cat is unimpressed.

Old 03-13-2023, 11:22 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
GFS right now gives over 30in in the Berkshires and close to 30in in northern Worcester county.
ECZMWF gives similar results for the Berkshires but up to 36in in a small area in northern Worcester county (probably around Mt Wachusett)

Regardless that's a lot of snow.
Just in time for us to fly there for a visit Tuesday morning! Been living away for more than 20 years and get greeted with a nor'easter upon our return. I guess it's par for the course this time of year.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:08 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Why do they say bread and milk and not other grocery items before a storm? I don't drink milk so it's a mystery why of all grocery items milk is mentioned. I kinda see bread but there are so many other items you could stock up on.

They never say stock up on the salad. Why not stock up on the Doritos? Beef jerky might be good to stock up on.

Milk goes bad if you have no electricity.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/na...fore-storm.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Yeah, not sure why milk...I don't drink it either.

Now coffee and half & half? Those are essentials of life.
We always make sure we have milk because there is a high chance we will make chocolate chip cookies if the weather is bad. And if you have fresh out of the oven chocolate chip cookies, you need milk to go with it.

Not sure why people need bread. I guess for sandwiches. But then you'd need the meat, cheese, etc.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:13 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Early dismissal already called for tomorrow...

Old 03-13-2023, 07:20 PM

3,587 posts, read 1,821,989 times
I'm expecting limbs down or even power lines downed on my property from neighbors decaying trees again. It already happened the last 'significant' storm we got earlier this winter and that one was nowhere as powerful as this one is expected to be. And yes, per my insurance co. and at the advice of an arborist I notified them over six months ago, before we even had any storms about the concerning condition of the trees. Even had a chat in person with them. The response I got was to the effect 'climate change is here, this is a good thing limbs are dropping, the trees are getting stronger, my wife and I will chat about it and decide in spring if we will do anything." So, yeah....I tend to stay on the total opposite end of my house whenever strong winds and/or heavy wet snow are in the forecast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts