Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the lack of sun bothering you this winter?
Yes it's beyond horrible I'd rather sun with freezing cold 12 29.27%
No it's winter it's supposed to suck 29 70.73%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 08:14 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
We were in Boston on Sunday. Drove Mass & Cass to the garage at the Christian Science Plaza. It was sunny, 45F, and no sign of snow.
There was a sharp gradient on Saturday. Had about 4" in Woburn where I live...went about 8 miles to Cambridge and the snow was melting on contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 08:24 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
There was a sharp gradient on Saturday. Had about 4" in Woburn where I live...went about 8 miles to Cambridge and the snow was melting on contact.
Saturday was a bit weird (and the forecast was way off for the areas where we were). We spent Friday night at my mother's on the South Coast where we woke up to mixed precipitation, a dusting on the grass, and melting on contact on the roads. We went to Bristol, RI at around noon where the sun was peeking through and no snow had collected anywhere. Drove back to Boston mid-afternoon and drove through some moderate falling snow closer to the city, but again, not collecting on the road. Streets were clean in the city when we got home. Friends in Leominster posted pictures of what appeared to be 6-7 inches of snow in their yard.

Old 03-07-2023, 11:03 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,888,677 times
Quote:
We only got 4" in Worcester instead of the 9" we were supposed to. 75% melted during the day or Sunday, so Monday I didn't have to clean my car at all.

Awful. Couldn't even get my nordic skis out.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:12 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,765 times
Another big precipitation event from Monday night all the way to Wednesday. Monday should be mainly rain but the other two days it could go either way.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:17 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Stock up on that bread and milk…

Old 03-12-2023, 08:24 AM

12,383 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Another big precipitation event from Monday night all the way to Wednesday. Monday should be mainly rain but the other two days it could go either way.
Currently, NECN is estimating 4-6in of snow in Newburyport across the whole thing - at least if that's how it goes, not too bad.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:27 AM

3,377 posts, read 1,540,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Stock up on that bread and milk…
Why do they say bread and milk and not other grocery items before a storm? I don't drink milk so it's a mystery why of all grocery items milk is mentioned. I kinda see bread but there are so many other items you could stock up on.

They never say stock up on the salad. Why not stock up on the Doritos? Beef jerky might be good to stock up on.

Milk goes bad if you have no electricity.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/na...fore-storm.htm

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 03-12-2023 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-12-2023, 11:39 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Why do they say bread and milk and not other grocery items before a storm? I don't drink milk so it's a mystery why of all grocery items milk is mentioned. I kinda see bread but there are so many other items you could stock up on.

They never say stock up on the salad. Why not stock up on the Doritos? Beef jerky might be good to stock up on.

Bread, milk, eggs, i.e. commonly purchased perishable items. Also the three ingredients for , which I can only assume is the morning-after-blizzard family favorite.

Also, milk goes bad if you have no electricity in spring, summer, and winter. If the power goes out in a blizzard, though, outside is a perfectly acceptable substitute for indoor refrigeration. As someone who grew up in the deep south and California, this possibility absolutely blew my mind the first time told me about it.

Old 03-12-2023, 01:47 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post

Yeah, not sure why milk...I don't drink it either.

Now coffee and half & half? Those are essentials of life.

Old 03-12-2023, 03:42 PM

3,377 posts, read 1,540,314 times
Quote:
Yeah, not sure why milk...I don't drink it either.

Now coffee and half & half? Those are essentials of life.
I hate half & half its either cream or straight black for my coffee. half and half is technically half milk.

ya coffee is a must if there is a storm I better have coffee! if I was out of coffee I would walk or drive to dunkin donuts in a blizzard. some drink milk straight and enjoy it! I could drink milk it's not discusting but its not great either by itself.

they might want the milk for cereal that's what I'm thinking. i don't eat cereal or breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts