Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the lack of sun bothering you this winter?
Yes it's beyond horrible I'd rather sun with freezing cold 12 29.27%
No it's winter it's supposed to suck 29 70.73%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 01:16 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
...a mechanical issue with the Gondola limited skiing to 10 trails off of a single lift. We quit after 2 hours because of the relative crowds and lack of variety, not the temperatures. Sunday and Monday were fine (though the Gondola was still down).
Loon is my favorite NH mountain. I spend a lot of time there as a child. Rumor has it that the driveshaft broke on the gondola when they tried to fire it up at -20 on Saturday. If that's the case, could be down for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 01:49 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Loon is my favorite NH mountain. I spend a lot of time there as a child. Rumor has it that the driveshaft broke on the gondola when they tried to fire it up at -20 on Saturday. If that's the case, could be down for awhile.
You really can't beat Loon for the quality and variety of terrain so close to Boston. It's usually my go-to day trip mountain (having 7 days each year included with Ikon Pass doesn't hurt). The only drawback as far as I'm concerned is that proximity to Boston means brutal crowds on peak weekends. I'm not surprised by the driveshaft issue, and hopefully they fix it soon. To be honest, I rarely ride it (I prefer taking Seven Brothers to North Peak Express or even East Basin Double rather than waiting in line for the Gondi on a Saturday), but it sure was nice on Friday when the wind was howling and temps were plummeting.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:47 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
My news feed says the six New England states and New Jersey had their warmest January ever. After a weekend of winter, today was like April.

Old 02-10-2023, 07:15 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
We have not even had a winter other than 5 or 6 days. Today felt like may. I kinda was hoping for more of a winter it doeso not look like this patern is going to change. The weather is nice but I wanted a winter but not gray skies for 3 weeks!

Old 02-19-2023, 04:15 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My news feed says the six New England states and New Jersey had their warmest January ever. After a weekend of winter, today was like April.
Yes, I just watched the NECN Weather video forecast loop, and they said that the cumulative snowfall has been less than half the average in the Boston area so far this winter, and the average temperatures have been the 3rd warmest on record. He cautioned that we still need to get through March, but said it would pretty much take a historic March to carry us back up to the averages.

Old 02-19-2023, 05:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yes, I just watched the NECN Weather video forecast loop, and they said that the cumulative snowfall has been less than half the average in the Boston area so far this winter, and the average temperatures have been the 3rd warmest on record. He cautioned that we still need to get through March, but said it would pretty much take a historic March to carry us back up to the averages.
Down here in the banana belt, I haven’t pulled the snow shovel out of the garage. There were a couple of times the lawn was white but it melted to green grass the same day. The snow tires never went on the cars. Woods Hole, my nearest weather station with ocean temperatures is 40F and has been well above average all winter other than getting down to 37F during the cold snap. We’re unlikely to have sustained snow pack this year because the ocean is so warm.

I haven’t received my February Eversource gas bill yet. I’m sure my usage will be up over last month because of the cold snap but I am not looking at the enormous jump in heating costs I was fearing last summer.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:50 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
We haven't even received 18" of snow in Worcester!

Official at the airport is 17.5" for the season so far. We'd have to get over 5' of snow (55.4") in March and April to hit average (72.9")

Old 02-20-2023, 05:58 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Beautiful weather today, I was perspiring by the time I returned from my walk. I love it, no complaints, but it feels weird, like something bad is going to happen. Climate change is what I am thinking.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:31 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Beautiful weather today, I was perspiring by the time I returned from my walk. I love it, no complaints, but it feels weird, like something bad is going to happen. Climate change is what I am thinking.
I remember when I was a kid in 1988 I think mass had a warm winter. We have had several warm winters in the last 10 years but this one seems the warmest. I'll have to check the year of that warm winter. The average temp was like 45 degrees or felt like it. There are some records of 60 degrees in 1930's the weather man said in February .

The summer of 1988 was really hot.... https://www.wickedlocal.com/story/jo...38541398007/in

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 02-20-2023 at 07:09 PM..

Old 02-21-2023, 04:54 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
We haven't even received 18" of snow in Worcester!

Official at the airport is 17.5" for the season so far. We'd have to get over 5' of snow (55.4") in March and April to hit average (72.9")
Yes, I see this week some light snows in the forecast - but we're talking 1-3in. Every week, the days get just a little bit longer, and the temperatures will (on average) begin to climb. We could still get some cold air come in from the north and a 2ft blizzard in March or even early April, but that (a) would still be a below-average season snowfall (b) should melt more quickly if it comes in March than in January. I am liking this!

It looks like Worcester, being inland, averages another foot of snow than we get at the coast in Newburyport. In the fall, warm weather lingers longer here, but in the spring, cold weather lingers longer here - because the land temps change more quickly than the ocean temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts