Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2020, 10:52 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I don't think a vaccine will trickle down to me for some time. I'm not in a high risk group, don't partake in high-risk activities/jobs, and don't live with anyone deemed high risk.

That means i'll likely be waiting on the sideline for some time so hopefully some good data and feedback can be obtained well before it's my turn. I'm not anti-vaccine, but I do like to see such things properly vetted out and not rushed.
This is exactly the case for myself and my husband. I've been very thankful through all of this that we only have to deal with the stress of the disruption in our and our childrens' lives, but have not had to go through the stress of those battling the virus (we don't actually know anybody who has had it). I would be shocked if a vaccine came out this year, but regardless of when one is available, we will be far down the list of those who need it.

Quote:
Wife’s school district has told the teachers that they won’t be doing full-time, 5 days a week. They are debating a week of half-days or a hybrid program. This hasn’t been relayed to parents just yet.
Has a start date been discussed? Curious how many school districts will start on 9/16. Also, does your wife know when the school plans to reveal its final plans to the parents? I feel like many districts will be communicating their plans starting next week. Our school is not submitting formal plans until 8/10, so I'd be surprised if I hear anything before then. Our teacher assignments won't be released until 8/14.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 11:17 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I believe Aug 8th or 10th is the deadline for submitting the plan to parents.

9/16 start date.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:44 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Wife’s school district has told the teachers that they won’t be doing full-time, 5 days a week. They are debating a week of half-days or a hybrid program. This hasn’t been relayed to parents just yet.

I don't see how towns can meet the school bus requirement. It's not like the company that has the bus contract has dozens of unused yellow school buses lying around to keep the density down to required levels. It kind of needs to be hybrid or some kind of funky flex with staggered start/end times. It will be challenging to align students on bus routes with classrooms.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:59 PM

254 posts, read 587,341 times
Default Covid Rapid Tests in MA

Hi all,

Is anyone familiar or had experience getting a rapid test which is nasal swab that gives results in 15 minutes?

So far I know they are being offered at Carewell: https://www.carewellurgentcare.com/c...e-at-carewell/ and cost $160 at time of service but you would have to expense for re-imbursement by your insurance afterwards.

Are they the only ones that offer that kind of service?

The reason I am asking is because they ask for these requirements to travel to other states like VT:

Quote:
Visitor has completed a 7-day quarantine in their home state AND has received a negative test following the 7-day quarantine.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:05 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't see how towns can meet the school bus requirement. It's not like the company that has the bus contract has dozens of unused yellow school buses lying around to keep the density down to required levels. It kind of needs to be hybrid or some kind of funky flex with staggered start/end times. It will be challenging to align students on bus routes with classrooms.
I talked to my neighbor, who is trying to navigate these logistics, and she said the prevailing opinion was that while more gas and labor would be consumed per bus, running half the fleet would easily compensate ... at least fiscally. It's likely to impact schedule however ... a quite obvious impact.

Note: her district is planning to run a 50/50 format.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:18 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
I don't think a vaccine will trickle down to me for some time. I'm not in a high risk group, don't partake in high-risk activities/jobs, and don't live with anyone deemed high risk.

That means i'll likely be waiting on the sideline for some time so hopefully some good data and feedback can be obtained well before it's my turn. I'm not anti-vaccine, but I do like to see such things properly vetted out and not rushed.

It will be interesting to see how they divvy up the vaccine doses.

A recent study came out saying the highest risk factor was current or past blood cancer diagnosis. Even though my treatment was more than 5 years ago, my increased risk due to my blood cancer history is almost as high as someone who ended treatment for another form of cancer yesterday! My age puts me at relative low risk, but I'm hoping that the blood cancer factor will get me to the front of the vaccine line.

If Moderna called me up tomorrow and asked if I wanted to be on the trial, I'd say yes without hesitation.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:18 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Our district cannot afford more buses, so we were told that if we are in-person, the buses would likely only be used by the children who are farthest from school. There are normally 50+ kids per bus and I think they would need to get the number down to 20 or fewer per bus. So only children who live, say, more than 2 miles from school would be included on the bus route.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:19 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
My sons school district in RI has already announced no bus service.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Our district cannot afford more buses, so we were told that if we are in-person, the buses would likely only be used by the children who are farthest from school. There are normally 50+ kids per bus and I think they would need to get the number down to 20 or fewer per bus. So only children who live, say, more than 2 miles from school would be included on the bus route.
Instead of Republican Senator dumping 29 billion into the already disgustingly bloated military with this second pandemic aid package, and other equally gross allocations, they can be sending it to the schools for bus services, PPE, more teachers for smaller classes, etc... but, priorities.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:23 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
OK kids are getting dumber each generation. I really don't get the point of partying together at a time like this and if it were a "Covid 19 party", then it's as cruel as getting hazed.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...-know/2167341/

Sure, some people will say "Well they were just good kids having a little fun because they're bored that's all, they really meant no harm" but it wasn't as if they got into daddy's Oldsmobile for a joy ride, it was a big gathering in a tight space. There is no excuse for this from either the kids or their parents. Beyond the fact that these stupid gatherings will drive up the coronavirous count, if someone gets seriously ill or even dies as a result, there will be reckoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts