Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 07:46 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
How is it possible that you don’t know anyone who lost their job since early March? My girlfriend furloughed half her staff across several hospitals and took a pay cut. Everyone I know who works at a resort is unemployed. Most restaurant employees. Most retail employees.
I guess I don’t know a lot of people lol. I seriously don’t know anyone who is literally unemployed right now. I do have a few acquaintances who were laid off from toast. We know of a few restaurant owners who are struggling right now but still working.

My brother had a side job at a restaurant and he hasnt even been laid off from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 08:56 AM

779 posts, read 877,067 times
I feel like the majority of people I know have been affected economically--some have been laid off, some furloughed, but many (myself included) have had a salary reduction that likely won't return until Q4 at the earliest.

I am in e-commerce, so working insanely long hours and weekends to keep our company afloat so that my colleagues (and close friends) who were furloughed will have a job to come back to. My colleagues in e-commerce at a variety of companies are in the same boat.

I have a friend who owns a dentist practice and had to furlough her entire practice--she's sick about it. Another friend owns a legal practice and had to furlough half of her office.

Those who are still working are insanely stressed right now. We are working really long hours and trying to do virtual schooling on top of it. I admit that I get frustrated with the mentality that this is a time for us to be tackling projects, spending more time with family, etc. Many of us have never been this stressed out--we are working harder than ever, trying to teach, cooking, cleaning, grooming our own pets, haha. Most of us moms have completely hit a wall. I had my babysitter come back and she's doing 2 hours of teaching/day. My kids have started to need more than 2 hours of tutoring just to get their schoolwork done. Doggy daycare is opening next week and I'm very excited about that.

I feel so completely awful for those who are unemployed and furloughed. I feel helpless for my friends. And those of us who are still working and trying really hard to keep our companies afloat are struggling, too. Just a terrible situation for everybody.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:22 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
If anyone should avoid braincell destroying media its you. You do not have the capability of understanding freedom to assemble is part of the first amendment that was violated. dont talk to me in a condecending way. you cant even understand freedom to assemble. yes for the most part it was a one size fits all .

I use zero social media if anyone is assuming its you.

I have no problem if someone disagrees with me but i will not tolerant your condecending talk and huge assumptions and your insults.

show me source that 10 people can assemble for religous reasons source? ill require you to provide proof like i have had to come out with.
Seriously??? You have not provided one single source proving any of your wide-eyed claims.

It's not a matter of disagreement or disparaging opinions here; the stuff you keep repeating is flat out WRONG, non-factual not to mention reckless and potentially harmful. If you can't handle being corrected, then I suggest doing your homework before posting because once you hit Submit Reply you own those words and they are open to scrutiny. As a fellow poster concerned with the accuracy of information shared here, it's not my job to spare your feelings.

But here ya go...

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus...usinesses.html

"Churches, temples, mosques and other places of worship would also be exempt from the order, but faith-based gatherings would have to comply with the restrictions set forth by the state, including limiting gatherings to 10 people."

Old 04-20-2020, 09:31 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
John Hopkin's county map really makes me understand why some of the flyover states want to reopen.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map
Yeah. I'm as guilty as anyone at falling into the politics trap, but I get it too. I'm not condoning these mass protests we're seeing by a long shot. But I'm also trying to maintain some perspective. I am still getting a pay check while working from home and I live in one of the harder hit areas in one of the hardest hit states in the country. So it's easy for me to sit here and say that everyone should hunker down indefinitely. But for someone living paycheck to paycheck, or off of tips from a restaurant job in a state or county with minimal infection, the frustration is absolutely understandable.

I think we're moving towards a localized approach to reopening which makes sense when you remove the rhetoric from all of it. Dr. Birx yesterday described the Federal response as "treating it like a series of series of small epidemics across the United States." And while the word "small" is more than a little misleading, it's fair to say that not every section of the country is equally impacted. Not every county in America needs Chelsea MA level interventions. Not yet, anyway. But here in Massachusetts, the social distancing and restrictions in place are essential and are likely here in their entirety for at least another month or so. And that's a good thing for us. I believe the lack of mass protests here are an indicator that most people feel the same way.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:49 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yeah. I'm as guilty as anyone at falling into the politics trap, but I get it too. I'm not condoning these mass protests we're seeing by a long shot. But I'm also trying to maintain some perspective. I am still getting a pay check while working from home and I live in one of the harder hit areas in one of the hardest hit states in the country. So it's easy for me to sit here and say that everyone should hunker down indefinitely. But for someone living paycheck to paycheck, or off of tips from a restaurant job in a state or county with minimal infection, the frustration is absolutely understandable.

I think we're moving towards a localized approach to reopening which makes sense when you remove the rhetoric from all of it. Dr. Birx yesterday described the Federal response as "treating it like a series of series of small epidemics across the United States." And while the word "small" is more than a little misleading, it's fair to say that not every section of the country is equally impacted. Not every county in America needs Chelsea MA level interventions. Not yet, anyway. But here in Massachusetts, the social distancing and restrictions in place are essential and are likely here in their entirety for at least another month or so. And that's a good thing for us. I believe the lack of mass protests here are an indicator that most people feel the same way.
I live in one of those minimally affected counties, and my biggest thing is keeping it the way it is before becoming a Boston. One fear I have is an area like mine re-opening everything while it's still running rampant in your area, and us becoming a free-for-all for restless city folk looking to escape. But some things definitely should be localized. While it's every bit within her right to do it, some elements of Gov. Whitmer's orders in Michigan make absolutely no sense for the rural northern portion of the state.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:13 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I live in one of those minimally affected counties, and my biggest thing is keeping it the way it is before becoming a Boston. One fear I have is an area like mine re-opening everything while it's still running rampant in your area, and us becoming a free-for-all for restless city folk looking to escape. But some things definitely should be localized.
Those are my exact feelings living in southern New Hampshire. Locally we could probably loosen some restrictions but the influx of people from Massachusetts would result in a spike in infections. The virus does not recognize geo-political boundaries.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:50 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
The problem in reopening anything is that once something opens you're going to see a flood of people go to that as "it's open".

I'm sorry but there is something I won't go back to especially if it's packed for months. There's no way I'm going to go into a movie theater with dozens of people in it watching the same screen. There's no way I'm going to a music concert if there is hundreds of people, especially if it's not outdoors.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:55 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
The problem in reopening anything is that once something opens you're going to see a flood of people go to that as "it's open".

I'm sorry but there is something I won't go back to especially if it's packed for months. There's no way I'm going to go into a movie theater with dozens of people in it watching the same screen. There's no way I'm going to a music concert if there is hundreds of people, especially if it's not outdoors.
In have no idea when they will open things like movie theaters and malls. You can bet I won’t there anytime soon even when they do open. I really don’t know who would be there other than teens who aren’t watched by their parents maybe?

Old 04-20-2020, 11:05 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Oil is crashing today, I think everyone is running out of places to store it. Could see under a dollar at the pump if this continues.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:22 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Those are my exact feelings living in southern New Hampshire. Locally we could probably loosen some restrictions but the influx of people from Massachusetts would result in a spike in infections. The virus does not recognize geo-political boundaries.
That's a good point.

We have a wedding in Maine in July. If Maine were to reopen fully given their low number of cases, I would say we were free to book our trip and get away for the weekend for the weekend.

But your point makes absolutely sense.

Really, if they want to localize the lockdowns, they will need to enforce travel restrictions. I don't see that happen given the right of Freedom of Movement in the US unless there is a public health clause I am not aware of.

As easy at it is for me to sit in my basement (except today where i'm in the office) getting my full paycheck telling people to stay home, I understand the desire to get out and restart the economy. At some point, we need to figure out a way to live with this for the next 12-18mos. Clearly where we are now doesn't work for everyone. I doublt fully doubt that people will get creative with some of the things they do to avoid contact. Back in Feb, when I first started to prepare our family for this, I didn't think we would see some of the things we are seeing in response to trying to manage life around the virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts