Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2020, 08:22 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You've got that backwards, porterhouse.

The drivel is the follow-up (well, gee, maybe the 78% didn't have healthy hearts to start with ) and the garbage being posted here by a fast-talking COVID minimizer.
I love the rationale now being used by some--they had underlying conditions, so it's acceptable for them to die prematurely by the thousands, by a disease that didn't exist a year ago. Twisted logic by people who call themselves "pro-life"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 08:35 PM

41 posts, read 18,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I love the rationale now being used by some--they had underlying conditions, so it's acceptable for them to die prematurely by the thousands, by a disease that didn't exist a year ago. Twisted logic by people who call themselves "pro-life"!
None of these points will be found in any of my posts or any of the articles I linked. There is something akin to religious devotion to maximal disaster going on when people start speculating about COVID-19 and it's rather stunning to see play out in real time - as if people are personally hurt that their priors don't hold up.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:40 PM

41 posts, read 18,124 times
Quote:
You've got that backwards, porterhouse.

The drivel is the follow-up (well, gee, maybe the 78% didn't have healthy hearts to start with )
Did you breeze past the posts and links or not read them at all? Your take-away is honestly that published, practicing cardiology researchers made an eye-roll worthy point out of apathy towards public health?

Quote:
and the garbage being posted here by a fast-talking COVID minimizer.
If your starting point is the excessive scale you're evidently attached to, then yes, in a relative sense I'm "minimizing" it. In the same way someone who points out that the extraordinarily vast majority of immigrants aren't MS-13 criminals is "minimizing" them.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:03 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I don’t understand the holding someone back because of sports ?
I remember that back in the 90's. Basically if they can't make varsity until senior year but then they can't so they stay behind a year just for that. There's some evidence that a slight bit of more attention can lead to better players...but at a cost of everything else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_age_effect

Old 09-16-2020, 07:02 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I don’t understand the holding someone back because of sports ?
The idea is that by starting a year later, the child will be more physically mature vis a vis the peers in his grade. Being bigger, faster, stronger gives them an edge in high school sports thus "better" in the eyes of college recruiters.

But the reality is that most kids play on club teams where college recruiters look as well. On those teams, they play with their age group.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:04 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The idea is that by starting a year later, the child will be more physically mature vis a vis the peers in his grade. Being bigger, faster, stronger gives them an edge in high school sports thus "better" in the eyes of college recruiters.

But the reality is that most kids play on club teams where college recruiters look as well. On those teams, they play with their age group.
Wow, that's a good deal of disruption to get some edge in sports, and in a way it's cheating really... then there is the reality that if you play the odds, most kids aren't going to be recruited for a college sports team - there is some selection for who is on the high school team, and then only about 5% of those on the high school teams will play in college. Even the college level is pretty selective.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:33 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Wow, that's a good deal of disruption to get some edge in sports, and in a way it's cheating really... then there is the reality that if you play the odds, most kids aren't going to be recruited for a college sports team - there is some selection for who is on the high school team, and then only about 5% of those on the high school teams will play in college. Even the college level is pretty selective.
Most of the people that red shirt their kids for kindergarten do it for academics and even then it’s usually for summer kids that just made the cutoff.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:12 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Wow.

Attleboro High Student Went To School After Testing Positive For Coronavirus
https://www.google.com/amp/s/boston....tive-test/amp/

Old 09-17-2020, 06:24 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
That Attleboro story is just... However, I'm sure selfish behavior like that is much more common than we think. This case just happened to be discovered and reported.

Sounds like Winchester had a similar situation to Sudbury and has shelved hybrid earning for now.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:39 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
That Attleboro story is just... However, I'm sure selfish behavior like that is much more common than we think. This case just happened to be discovered and reported.

Sounds like Winchester had a similar situation to Sudbury and has shelved hybrid earning for now.
Given the number of two income households, I'm sure terribly common ... particularly if both parents have to be on site and/or don't have robust PTO/sick leave. There is a fuzzy line between 'selfish' and 'financially desperate' ... not sure where the Attleboro case lands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts