Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2020, 08:19 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It's just crazy how much higher the numbers are now than they were over the summer. What the heck happened and no it wasn't elementary schools opening up.
I think we were missing a lot of asymptomatic cases over the summer due to limitations in testing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 08:35 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't think so. At least not imminently. The Baker administration has doubled and tripled down on on the belief that the bulk of transmission today is happening at family/friends gatherings. There's very little political will to shut down businesses again unless we start seeing hospitals come close struggling with capacity. And while numbers are rising (though they appear to be leveling off a little) at alarming rates, we're still quite a bit behind the hotspots in the Midwest. Barring a post-Thanksgiving super surge, I think we'll be looking at the status quo for the foreseeable future with a handful of relatively small adjustments. I could even see a small "pause" on dining and gyms (+/- 2 weeks), extended curfews, travel restrictions, and limits on gatherings at households, but not in store shopping during the holiday season unless there's solid evidence that it's a major factor in a surge. Realistically, I think we're going to continue riding this out for the next several months with minimal change.
I don’t see how we avoid keeping it out of the nursing homes again. With a big community spread, you can’t test the staff no often enough to keep it out. When there are refrigerated trucks to store the bodies in the news, it’s politically difficult to maintain the status quo. I think rolling back indoor dining and anything else without a mask is pretty likely. I’m glad I got to the hygienist before the spike. My dentist isn’t going to want to do non-emergency things with a 30 per 100,000 and rising daily infection rate.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:40 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
I think we were missing a lot of asymptomatic cases over the summer due to limitations in testing.
Agreed we were (and still are) missing asymptomatic cases, but the testing limitations are just part of the problem. During the summer lull in July/August/September, testing was widely available (at least in MA) and people just weren't getting tested. Especially the asymptomatic cases - if there are no symptoms, people didn't feel the need to get tested. The recent surge has reminded people of the importance of getting tested even if you feel fine, but I'm sure we're still missing many of them.

The bad news is that asymptomatic carriers are a problem when it comes to spreading it. The good news is if there are a lot of asymptomatic cases, a higher percentage of the population should already have antibodies than initially thought.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:42 AM

16,406 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I'm sure there must be so many people who have it and don't know it.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:46 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
How do I get tested with no symptoms without paying a big private pay lab fee? It’s my understanding that Quest, CVS, Walgreens, and the medical center in my zip code will charge me unless my physician orders a test. I’d like to do the 7 day home quarantine plus test to move to our Vermont place for the winter. I believe I have to pay to play. I hope I’m mistaken but that’s what a quick Google turns up.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:52 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
How do I get tested with no symptoms without paying a big private pay lab fee? It’s my understanding that Quest, CVS, Walgreens, and the medical center in my zip code will charge me unless my physician orders a test. I’d like to do the 7 day home quarantine plus test to move to our Vermont place for the winter. I believe I have to pay to play. I hope I’m mistaken but that’s what a quick Google turns up.

I've been tested 3 or 4 times without symptoms (1 was potential exposure, the rest were "visiting family" or maybe "travel" as they coded it). It was at the clinic where my PCP is, but basically walk-in and I don't think my physician "ordered" it per se. I didn't pay for any of them.

You can't just call your PCP and say you are traveling to VT where they require you to be tested?

Old 11-23-2020, 08:52 AM

This is happening at 11:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/11/...ss-conference/

Covid Awareness campaign? I think everyone is aware...can't imagine what this program will entail. The problem is stopping people from being fools. Not gonna happen.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:02 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In May I called my health insurance provider who let me know that testing for me would be free regardless of symptoms. Same for antibody tests. So I called my PCP to set one up. Obviously that doesn't apply to everyone, but it's where I'd start.

Next, I'd go to the DPH website which has a "where to get tested" map. There are many sites across the state that offer free testing for any resident of MA, no symptoms required. Some require appointments, some allow walk ups.* We have now used the Project Beacon site at Suffolk Downs in Revere twice - most recently, this morning. It's quick and painless. Scheduling the appointment is simple via the website - they open appointments about a week or two in advance. If nothing's available now, check back again later. Also check the cities/towns around you - many are offering free testing (I'm pretty sure New Bedford is). Somerville was doing it for quite a while and we took advantage of that before we moved.

*There is a walk up site near us and the line looks as if it's hours long every day. Appointment would be preferable.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:16 AM

I just listened to Baker....was pretty much what I expected. Not sure why there were rumors of a shutdown. Basically live at your own risk ....

Old 11-23-2020, 10:32 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I fell asleep. What was the major reveal? A couple of commercials geared at "get back Mass?".

Do people still watch broadcast tv anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts