Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2022, 05:30 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton1944 View Post
[b][color="RoyalBlue"]As a former Long Islander, now relocated in Tenn, I can say with authority, that I would not recommend Heat Pumps for LI. When temps get cold and you need to raise temps in house, this puts a strain on your heat pump and its COMPRESSOR to get it to raise the temp in house. It demands more electric to fight the demand. When that happens, your Heat Pumps will automatically go into a "Elec Heat On' cycle. Basically what that is , your pumps will be more expensive to operate to bring the house temps up to the requested heat setting. The longer it operates in that 'Demand' cycle, you're using more Elec to keep up the Heat setting and that can get expensive. The compressors can fail over the length of time faster than just using it at normal temps. It's the Compressors that costs $$$$ to replace before their time. Here in TN the Elec is not too expensive. But I had to keep the temps lower around 66 degrees to prevent the compressor from working harder. I remember LICO experimented with HEAT pumps in Kings Park where I lived around the late 70's. It didn't work out too well and the homes went back to Gas Heat which most homes in my development had already prior.
We just went through some VERY LOW temps, 4 degrees night and the high's were no higher than 9 or 10 degrees day time for 3 days. I have a Propane Fireplace with a fan in it. I ran it for 2-3 hours while watching TV at night. Cost effective. Better than replacing a Compressor.
Thank you for this input. More proof that heat pumps are not great at all…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
But there's one other consideration: wasn't it 5-7 years ago, that many Long Island households were without electricity for two weeks?

Under an all electric arrangement, then what?

What happens if an ice storm hits LI, and the electric is knocked out?

The heat will be knocked out.

You can't drive anywhere with your EV.

You can't operate a wood burning stove, since those are being regulated out of existence.

So what do you do?

Freeze to death?

What?
They will never stop wood burning stoves and fireplaces. Even in Europe which is climate change fanatic central wood burning stoves are all over the place especially this winter with energy shortages they are crucial. As far as EV’s go if there is an outage you simply go to a public fast charger where there is power to charge up. Gas stations typically don’t work in outages either so you go to a station with power.

Old 12-28-2022, 06:21 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Love my wood stove.

Old 12-28-2022, 06:41 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,206 times
LMFAO, bunch of old school dummies just don't get it. Been using my heat pump this whole winter, and zilch, zero issues. Nice and toasty, even the last week of frigid cold.

Old 12-28-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
LMFAO, bunch of old school dummies just don't get it. Been using my heat pump this whole winter, and zilch, zero issues. Nice and toasty, even the last week of frigid cold.
Ahhhhh you bought a heat pump. Nooooowwww I get why you are so defensive, you want to believe you made a good investment.

Old 12-28-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Ahhhhh you bought a heat pump. Nooooowwww I get why you are so defensive, you want to believe you made a good investment.
No, my cac crapped out last year. No brainer spending a couple thousand extra for the heat pump. And I get most of it back from rebates. And yes, I made a good investment, for myself. I could give 2shts what anyone thinks. Let's talk in 10years when just about everyone has one, just like the modern boilers we have now, that everyone thought were no good.

Old 12-28-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
No, my cac crapped out last year. No brainer spending a couple thousand extra for the heat pump. And I get most of it back from rebates. And yes, I made a good investment, for myself. I could give 2shts what anyone thinks. Let's talk in 10years when just about everyone has one, just like the modern boilers we have now, that everyone thought were no good.
Uh huh you keep telling yourself that. Have fun when your coils leak out of warranty down the line and everyone’s boilers are still going strong for decades LOL

Old 12-28-2022, 07:32 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
As far as EV’s go if there is an outage you simply go to a public fast charger where there is power to charge up. Gas stations typically don’t work in outages either so you go to a station with power.
I suppose with advance planning, the concern is nil.

Quote:
Anyone who disagrees with you is a "dummy."

Nice.

I can't speak to the utility costs on LI, but in my current State of residence, my natural gas bill is a minimum of half of what my electric bill would be using a heat pump.

If your experience is different than mine, fantastic.

Old 12-28-2022, 07:39 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton1944 View Post
As a former Long Islander, now relocated in Tenn, I can say with authority, that I would not recommend Heat Pumps for LI. When temps get cold and you need to raise temps in house, this puts a strain on your heat pump and its COMPRESSOR to get it to raise the temp in house. It demands more electric to fight the demand. When that happens, your Heat Pumps will automatically go into a "Elec Heat On' cycle. Basically what that is , your pumps will be more expensive to operate to bring the house temps up to the requested heat setting. The longer it operates in that 'Demand' cycle, you're using more Elec to keep up the Heat setting and that can get expensive.
Much agreed: the argument is not that heat pumps produce no heat, it's that they cycle often to keep up with demand, thus making them expensive to operate.

Old 12-28-2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

Anyone who disagrees with you is a "dummy."

Nice.
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island