Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2023, 01:12 PM

544 posts, read 941,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
New construction on LI is a trickle. And gas heating equipment is still FAR cheaper and less prone to breakdowns as well. They won’t become common here anytime soon.
Thank she who haunts Albany,

https://www.oleantimesherald.com/new...ng%20in%202025.

Quote:
By 2025, state officials plan to require new single-family homes and multifamily homes of up to three stories to use high-efficiency, zero-emission heating systems such as heat pumps. The requirement will affect all units that apply for building permits beginning in 2025.
New construction does not necessarily mean brand new from the ground up. Our current client is building a new addition which exceeds the size of the original house. They're having a heat pump installed as per architect's plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2023, 01:50 PM

20,073 posts, read 20,883,901 times
Total BS. Hackle can kiss my white Irish behind.
I’m gonna burn wood and drive my gas guzzler until they have to pry the keys from my dead hand. They can bury me in my sewage lagoon.

Old 01-06-2023, 03:18 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,463,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Somebody please explain to me how they expect people to retrofit their homes for heat pumps...

Heat pumps are typically used for forced hot air systems which is fine if that is what you have or you have central A/C.

What about people who are using baseboards or radiators... or even worse. older homes using steam heat and radiators.
You can look at ductless mini-split systems which I believe are the most common retrofits and that's what I have the most experience with. East Asia in general almost never have ducts / forced air climate control systems for homes. There are also heat pumps for radiator systems and even for boilers.

There's also been the start of some window units which are currently pricey, but will probably come down with scale though that's really more for multi-family units like apartments and condos.

Old 01-06-2023, 03:37 PM

2,686 posts, read 2,332,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You can look at ductless mini-split systems which I believe are the most common retrofits and that's what I have the most experience with. East Asia in general almost never have ducts / forced air climate control systems for homes. There are also heat pumps for radiator systems and even for boilers.

There's also been the start of some window units which are currently pricey, but will probably come down with scale though that's really more for multi-family units like apartments and condos.
Then you need that hideous thing on your wall. I would rather freeze than have to look at that garbage in every room.

Old 01-06-2023, 03:50 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,463,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Then you need that hideous thing on your wall. I would rather freeze than have to look at that garbage in every room.
Sure that makes sense. Or you can choose one of the several other heat pump options which can save you money and have you avoid freezing to death, but it really depends on if you actually have anything joyful to look forward to and live for which isn't everyone, so I respect your decision.

Old 01-06-2023, 04:25 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,658,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Somebody please explain to me how they expect people to retrofit their homes for heat pumps...

Heat pumps are typically used for forced hot air systems which is fine if that is what you have or you have central A/C.

What about people who are using baseboards or radiators... or even worse. older homes using steam heat and radiators.
They simply don't give a damn.

They claim to champion the cause of the working and middle class, and then enact policies which are extremely tough to bear, economically.

After years of economic hardship, droves of people left, and continue to leave, NYS.

In response, the idiots run ads in the South, with YOUR tax dollars, beckoning people to come back to New York. And then the same idiots run surveys to find out why people left NYS.

Old 01-06-2023, 07:41 PM

20,073 posts, read 20,883,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
They simply don't give a damn.

They claim to champion the cause of the working and middle class, and then enact policies which are extremely tough to bear, economically.

After years of economic hardship, droves of people left, and continue to leave, NYS.

In response, the idiots run ads in the South, with YOUR tax dollars, beckoning people to come back to New York. And then the same idiots run surveys to find out why people left NYS.
Hackle got what she wanted. She basically told conservatives in NY there’s the door, don’t let it hit you in the ass on the way out. Of course she back tracked it somewhat but we all know she really meant it.

Old 01-06-2023, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure that makes sense. Or you can choose one of the several other heat pump options which can save you money and have you avoid freezing to death, but it really depends on if you actually have anything joyful to look forward to and live for which isn't everyone, so I respect your decision.
The heat pump options that don’t have the hideous unit on the wall cost thousands more. It was priced out when I did my house and was about 7k more than gas. If my only options was that hideous thing on the wall or freeze I would call it day and move to Florida or Tennessee, 0% I would be willing to have those monstrosities ruin the esthetics of my home.

Bottom line efficiency is very rarely fiscally responsible. A hybrid car saves gas $$, you need to drive it 100-150k miles before your even with the increased upfront cost. Maybe a heat pumps saves a few bucks they cost more upfront. A 20 seer condenser is cheaper than a 14 but it could take 15 years to make the $$ back. Until these fake green items such as heat pumps or electric cars get there energy from renewables and not from gas oil and coal power plants it’s really just a wast of $$ and not doing much for the environment.

Old 01-06-2023, 10:14 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,777,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
The heat pump options that don’t have the hideous unit on the wall cost thousands more. It was priced out when I did my house and was about 7k more than gas. If my only options was that hideous thing on the wall or freeze I would call it day and move to Florida or Tennessee, 0% I would be willing to have those monstrosities ruin the esthetics of my home.

Bottom line efficiency is very rarely fiscally responsible. A hybrid car saves gas $$, you need to drive it 100-150k miles before your even with the increased upfront cost. Maybe a heat pumps saves a few bucks they cost more upfront. A 20 seer condenser is cheaper than a 14 but it could take 15 years to make the $$ back. Until these fake green items such as heat pumps or electric cars get there energy from renewables and not from gas oil and coal power plants it’s really just a wast of $$ and not doing much for the environment.
Yep to me the common mini split heat pumps (or AC units) are just as ugly as having window or wall units. No thanks.

Old 01-06-2023, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yep to me the common mini split heat pumps (or AC units) are just as ugly as having window or wall units. No thanks.
Sadly I would rather have a window unit, you only have to look at it for 3-4 months a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island