Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times

Advertisements

Considering the typical weahter here in the Triangle, if you were looking at two identical homes at the same price but one had gas heat and the other had an electric heat pump, which would you choose and why?

Being from NJ, I always thought gas was the way to go. Friends of mine in NJ with electric heat would have much higher heating bills than folks with gas heat. Does this hold true for Raleigh area homes as well? I know some prefer the "feel" of gas heat, but I am also interested in cost comparison.

I have gas heat and I don't find the heating bills to be very high, but wonder if I would have been better off financially if I had a heat-pump. This is something I want to keep in mind for my next purchase.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 06:53 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
I've always had gas heat and love it. But heat pumps work fine in this part of the country, and from talking with friends heat pumps seem to be slightly less expensive. If buying again, I would probably buy gas again as it just feels warmer when it is running. That is simply a personal preference, and either will work fine.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:56 PM

275 posts, read 1,114,676 times
Gas all the way. Now, I haven't had a heat pump, but the main thing that I was told is that the heat is not "instant" like gas. Basically, if you don't keep your home at a consistant temp even when you aren't there, or have some kind of programmable thermo, it can take a good long while to get the temp you want. I hate being cold, and I am cold all the time anyway, so I need my heat now!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:52 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
We have gas heat and like it very much. I haven't had a heat pump though. But having gas heat sure is nice in the winter when the power goes out and everyone else is freezing! Especially the gas water heater!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:09 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
I've had both.

Years ago, it seemed like the heat pump worked well since our temps were way below freezing. However, as the years went by and the winters got colder and colder, the heat pump seemed to have problems keeping up. Once that "auxillary light" comes on, you can just watch the money go!

We now have gas.

Seems like more people want gas.

However, if you dont have access to natural gas, you get heat pump or propane. Not sure which one of those is preferable, as I have clients that like both!

Vicki

Old 09-09-2007, 09:25 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
I have a dual-fuel gas pack.
It has a heat pump that handles the bulk of heating and all the cooling.
It also has a gas furnace to back up the heat pump when temperatures a low enough that common heat strips would kick in.
I can set the temperature where the gas takes over, or it will automatically burn gas when the furnace is trying to raise the heat more than a couple of degrees.

I think it is the best of both worlds: Cheap cooling with cheap and fairly comfortable heat.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:36 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,840 times
Heat pumps are more economical, but gas heat is toastier. Just gotta pick which is more important. The gas pack is a nice option if you can get it.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:57 PM

847 posts, read 3,522,441 times
We had natural gas in our last home, with PSNC. Even though the house was poorly insulated and we kept our house toasty, the gas bill was consistently low. I think gas is warmer than a heat pump. I would never have propane because I have known people go broke trying to heat their homes with it. EDIT to say "consistently low" means it was never over 90 bucks, in the coldest months.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:44 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
I would never have propane because I have known people go broke trying to heat their homes with it.
As someone with propane, this does not match my experience. I moved from a house with natural gas (PSNC) to a home with propane. The home with propane is about as inexpensive to heat as my last home, although it is quite a bit larger. It does have good insulation throughout, which probably makes a big difference. But in my experience, the two (natural gas and propane) are comparable in cost.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:38 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
Gas has spiked crazily in the past and may well do so again.

Heat pumps work well here with mild winters. Our aux heat has only kicked in a few times.

Some folks like the higher temp from the vents with gas. We've never found the heat pump's output inadequate.

Gas can be a budget buster here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary