Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2022, 05:26 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Yes.
Lol love your status. Didn’t meant to trigger you so hard over a friggen heat pump wow….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 06:40 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Lol love your status. Didn’t meant to trigger you so hard over a friggen heat pump wow….

Old 12-29-2022, 07:34 AM

297 posts, read 133,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
But there's one other consideration: wasn't it 5-7 years ago, that many Long Island households were without electricity for two weeks?

Under an all electric arrangement, then what?

What happens if an ice storm hits LI, and the electric is knocked out?

The heat will be knocked out.

You can't drive anywhere with your EV.

You can't operate a wood burning stove, since those are being regulated out of existence.

So what do you do?

Freeze to death?

What?
There was a recent story about how a Ford Lightning EV powered the home owners house for almost 2 days, and still had the capability to drive and get power afterwards - this was in Canada. Some of the newer EVs have this capability.

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/ont...e-to-two-days/

Aside from wood stove, there are pellet stoves that operate at a .8 -.9 efficiency rating. They however need power for the auger and control box that monitors temps - similar to pellet grills. But you can likely find ones without those options?

Old 12-29-2022, 07:49 AM

297 posts, read 133,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton1944 View Post
[b][color="RoyalBlue"]As a former Long Islander, now relocated in Tenn, I can say with authority, that I would not recommend Heat Pumps for LI. When temps get cold and you need to raise temps in house, this puts a strain on your heat pump and its COMPRESSOR to get it to raise the temp in house. It demands more electric to fight the demand. When that happens, your Heat Pumps will automatically go into a "Elec Heat On' cycle. Basically what that is , your pumps will be more expensive to operate to bring the house temps up to the requested heat setting. The longer it operates in that 'Demand' cycle, you're using more Elec to keep up the Heat setting and that can get expensive. The compressors can fail over the length of time faster than just using it at normal temps. It's the Compressors that costs $$$$ to replace before their time. Here in TN the Elec is not too expensive. But I had to keep the temps lower around 66 degrees to prevent the compressor from working harder. I remember LICO experimented with HEAT pumps in Kings Park where I lived around the late 70's. It didn't work out too well and the homes went back to Gas Heat which most homes in my development had already prior.
We just went through some VERY LOW temps, 4 degrees night and the high's were no higher than 9 or 10 degrees day time for 3 days. I have a Propane Fireplace with a fan in it. I ran it for 2-3 hours while watching TV at night. Cost effective. Better than replacing a Compressor.
Part of the issue you are describing, sounds like you're using your expectations of gas/oil/propane heat and applying it towards heat pumps.

Based on my readings, you can't slap a heat pump on and expect it to perform like an oil/gas/propane furnace. That's not what it is designed to do. It doesn't do well with large set backs. It can and will regulate heat a home but doesn't really recover well on cold days. You are better off setting and forgetting, when not in emergency heat mode and running just as a heat pump.

As for your example, there are countless other who posted pics of their heat pumps running well in single digit weather from Wisconsin, Michigan and Canada over the weekend. Could be your insulation or air sealing that needs an upgrade.

Old 12-29-2022, 01:10 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Much agreed: the argument is not that heat pumps produce no heat, it's that they cycle often to keep up with demand, thus making them expensive to operate.
Cycling is not the issue. It’s the electric auxiliary heat mode once the outdoor temps get to a certain level. We all know here on LI that electric is double to triple the price compared to some other states. That’s why they say it’s not worth it.

Old 12-29-2022, 02:02 PM

983 posts, read 725,909 times

Old 12-29-2022, 03:43 PM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
I have a lot of experience with heat pumps on LI.
I do like them for a few reasons, however, I don’t think the tech is quite there yet for them to really become a standard in central heating. They are fantastic for milder climates, but ultimately, in my experience, they are not the best choice for climates that experience harsh cold winters. Not yet.

Old 12-29-2022, 05:02 PM

31,926 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I have a lot of experience with heat pumps on LI.
I do like them for a few reasons, however, I don’t think the tech is quite there yet for them to really become a standard in central heating. They are fantastic for milder climates, but ultimately, in my experience, they are not the best choice for climates that experience harsh cold winters. Not yet.
Better get used to idea of heat pumps;

"The state Climate Action Council, a 22-member commission created by state law to set policies related to climate change, last week adopted a sweeping plan aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions and developing renewable energy.

One section of the plan called for prohibiting the installation of heating equipment that burns fossil fuels in newly constructed single-family homes and low-rise apartment buildings, beginning in 2025.

The council plan also said new commercial buildings and multifamily homes higher than three stories would face the same mandate beginning with building permits issued in 2028."

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2022/1...l-it-work.html

Just three years away...

"The first phase of this ‘phase-out’ begins in 2025 when newly constructed single-family homes and low-rise apartment buildings will need to be heated with heat pumps. Larger structures – including commercial builds would require heat pumps between 2028 and 2030."

https://www.fingerlakes1.com/2022/12...-do-they-cost/

Old 12-29-2022, 06:20 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Cycling is not the issue. It’s the electric auxiliary heat mode once the outdoor temps get to a certain level. We all know here on LI that electric is double to triple the price compared to some other states. That’s why they say it’s not worth it.
The cycling is annoying, but you're right about the auxiliary heat mode being the real issue.

Old 12-29-2022, 06:23 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
There was a recent story about how a Ford Lightning EV powered the home owners house for almost 2 days, and still had the capability to drive and get power afterwards - this was in Canada. Some of the newer EVs have this capability.

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/ont...e-to-two-days/
Appreciate the link; this application of the technology is flexible...I applaud the engineers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island