Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2022, 10:24 AM

297 posts, read 133,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Thank you for the link.

I think the State is moving too fast with mandates: hybrids make more sense in the short term, lest something like what happened in TX, happen in NY.
It depends on how you see it, could also be the best time:

1. Federal gov't is enacting stricter standards by region in 2023
2. Manufacturers will phase out production of cheaper and lower performing a/c and heater; thereby raising the price of new available equipment
3. Demand and adoption of heat pumps naturally increases, dropping prices
4. Price disparity becomes less of an issue

Prior to getting a heat pump, I spoke with two contractors because I just wanted a 14 SEER CAC. They both said the same thing, manufacturers already cut back on production pf those units(23' regulation change) and may cut it out all together. Inventory is limited, parts will go up slowly as it phases out; so going up to 16 would be the better choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 10:41 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,410,313 times
Phasing out gas/oil in the near future is just beyond STUPID! Sure Heat pumps these days work very well, but they should be complimenting each other at this point. Its bad enough the EL grid cant handle summer temps, imagine when everyone is using a HP too in the winter.

Old 12-28-2022, 10:54 AM

983 posts, read 725,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Phasing out gas/oil in the near future is just beyond STUPID! Sure Heat pumps these days work very well, but they should be complimenting each other at this point. Its bad enough the EL grid cant handle summer temps, imagine when everyone is using a HP too in the winter.
Speculation

Old 12-28-2022, 11:55 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,657,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
It depends on how you see it, could also be the best time:

1. Federal gov't is enacting stricter standards by region in 2023
2. Manufacturers will phase out production of cheaper and lower performing a/c and heater; thereby raising the price of new available equipment
3. Demand and adoption of heat pumps naturally increases, dropping prices
4. Price disparity becomes less of an issue

Prior to getting a heat pump, I spoke with two contractors because I just wanted a 14 SEER CAC. They both said the same thing, manufacturers already cut back on production pf those units(23' regulation change) and may cut it out all together. Inventory is limited, parts will go up slowly as it phases out; so going up to 16 would be the better choice.
You raise several good points.

Quote:
Anecdotally, many people would argue the "heat pumps work very well" statement - not for the sake of being contentious, but because they simply aren't as adequate as their natural gas/oil powered equivalents. (And I am not in the business; I am simply a former LI'er, now resident of the Carolina's, that dislikes the technology).

And you raise another great point: the grid has to be bulked up, to support the use of all electric appliances.

Thirdly, there's the single point of failure issue: could you imagine being without electricity for several days, without access to an (electric powered) car, or to heat? Then what?

While I am glad that the State is moving in a forward thinking direction, there are issues that need to be addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Speculation
Not necessarily; all things considered, the grid could support the use of heat pumps, since it currently supports air conditioner use. But few people consider the additional migration to EV's. Conceivably, homeowners might have to alternate times as to when they charge or use certain appliances, should the grid's capacity stay as it is.

Old 12-28-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
You raise several good points.

Anecdotally, many people would argue the "heat pumps work very well" statement - not for the sake of being contentious, but because they simply aren't as adequate as their natural gas/oil powered equivalents. (And I am not in the business; I am simply a former LI'er, now resident of the Carolina's, that dislikes the technology).

While I am glad that the State is moving in a forward thinking direction, there are issues that need to be addressed.
I'm not saying they don't work well. The new ones work just fine. The issue is the grid CANNOT support everyone switching over, not in its current state.

Old 12-28-2022, 12:05 PM
NDL

But there's one other consideration: wasn't it 5-7 years ago, that many Long Island households were without electricity for two weeks?

Under an all electric arrangement, then what?

What happens if an ice storm hits LI, and the electric is knocked out?

The heat will be knocked out.

You can't drive anywhere with your EV.

You can't operate a wood burning stove, since those are being regulated out of existence.

So what do you do?

Freeze to death?

What?

Old 12-28-2022, 12:12 PM
NDL

Quote:
I'm not saying they don't work well. The new ones work just fine. The issue is the grid CANNOT support everyone switching over, not in its current state.
That's my point: myself and others would argue that they don't work fine.

There are a lot of former Long Islanders in the Charlotte, NC, metro area: people such as myself who grew up with oil or gas powered furnaces on LI. We then relocated to the Carolina's, where heat pump technology is prevalent, and we're unhappy with it.

I now have heat provided by a natural gas unit, and am much happier with the (far) lower operating costs, and superior heat produced.

Old 12-28-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
That's my point: myself and others would argue that they don't work fine.

There are a lot of former Long Islanders in the Charlotte, NC, metro area: people such as myself who grew up with oil or gas powered furnaces on LI. We then relocated to the Carolina's, where heat pump technology is prevalent, and we're unhappy with it.

I now have heat provided by a natural gas unit, and am much happier with the (far) lower operating costs, and superior heat produced.
Your missing my point. The ones installed down south are NOT meant for the temps up North. MODERN, like MODERN in the last few years, and the PROPER Heat Pumps works just as GOOD as oil/gas. I don't understand why people are in denial. Its the same BS being spoken about small Modcon Gas boilers not working well. Well here we are, and guess what? They work, and they work well. People need to let go of the past.

Old 12-28-2022, 12:39 PM
NDL

Quote:
Your missing my point. The ones installed down south are NOT meant for the temps up North. MODERN, like MODERN in the last few years, and the PROPER Heat Pumps works just as GOOD as oil/gas. I don't understand why people are in denial. Its the same BS being spoken about small Modcon Gas boilers not working well. Well here we are, and guess what? They work, and they work well. People need to let go of the past.
It does regularly get into the 20's here at night, so I don't see why the units used in the Carolina's would be any different than those in NY. In fact, last week we hit a low of 9 degrees. The heat pumps about which I speak are newer, and properly sized, for the homes they heat.

They don't work as well as gas: the heat that comes out of the registers isn't as warm, and they have to cycle constantly to produce heat. Can they keep a home at a constant temperature? Yes, but to do so, they cycle constantly, and producing heat when it's very cold out is a challenge.

Anecdotally, many Long Island transplants who moved to the Carolina's feel as I do about heat pumps.

And I do agree with your point about grid issues needing to be addressed.

Old 12-28-2022, 01:33 PM

34 posts, read 42,532 times
Default Heat Pumps

[b][color="RoyalBlue"]As a former Long Islander, now relocated in Tenn, I can say with authority, that I would not recommend Heat Pumps for LI. When temps get cold and you need to raise temps in house, this puts a strain on your heat pump and its COMPRESSOR to get it to raise the temp in house. It demands more electric to fight the demand. When that happens, your Heat Pumps will automatically go into a "Elec Heat On' cycle. Basically what that is , your pumps will be more expensive to operate to bring the house temps up to the requested heat setting. The longer it operates in that 'Demand' cycle, you're using more Elec to keep up the Heat setting and that can get expensive. The compressors can fail over the length of time faster than just using it at normal temps. It's the Compressors that costs $$$$ to replace before their time. Here in TN the Elec is not too expensive. But I had to keep the temps lower around 66 degrees to prevent the compressor from working harder. I remember LICO experimented with HEAT pumps in Kings Park where I lived around the late 70's. It didn't work out too well and the homes went back to Gas Heat which most homes in my development had already prior.
We just went through some VERY LOW temps, 4 degrees night and the high's were no higher than 9 or 10 degrees day time for 3 days. I have a Propane Fireplace with a fan in it. I ran it for 2-3 hours while watching TV at night. Cost effective. Better than replacing a Compressor.

Last edited by Patton1944; 12-28-2022 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island