Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 10:42 AM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times

Advertisements

The disgusting part is that almost all of our tax money goes to salaries and benefits.
Then we get nickle and dimed for other misc “taxes” that are supposedly going to repair and upgrades of infrastructure and such. Which never happens as it should. With the money jacked out of our pockets in taxes and fees, tolls, permits, etc, we should have gold plated buried electrical lines and piping with an infinite life span. But nope. Our infrastructure and utility services suck harder than a milk shake through a crushed straw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 10:42 AM

401 posts, read 945,089 times
I just had a mini-split installed in my 1400 ft home. It will keep up with the temperatures, but I chose to only use it to 20 degrees. I use the oil as a backup if it is lower than 20. The efficiency goes down with the temperature because more electricity is needed to have it meet expectations. I believe I also need to have water circulating through the pipes when the temp is in the single digits. I didn't make this decision because of ideology. I made it when I saw oil prices over $5.00 a gallon. If I count how many tanks of oil I use per year and how much electricity I need to power window air conditioners in the summer, I expect that this will pay for itself. I also like that I can control the temp in each room, individually. So far, my experience has been very good.

Old 12-26-2022, 01:23 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajimenez View Post
I just had a mini-split installed in my 1400 ft home. It will keep up with the temperatures, but I chose to only use it to 20 degrees. I use the oil as a backup if it is lower than 20. The efficiency goes down with the temperature because more electricity is needed to have it meet expectations. I believe I also need to have water circulating through the pipes when the temp is in the single digits. I didn't make this decision because of ideology. I made it when I saw oil prices over $5.00 a gallon. If I count how many tanks of oil I use per year and how much electricity I need to power window air conditioners in the summer, I expect that this will pay for itself. I also like that I can control the temp in each room, individually. So far, my experience has been very good.
If you had access to a natural gas line and the push against its use wasn't ideologically driven it would have been a better option.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:35 PM

401 posts, read 945,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
If you had access to a natural gas line and the push against its use wasn't ideologically driven it would have been a better option.

I agree. I grew up with natural gas before moving to Long Island. Unfortunately no gas lines in sight here.

Old 12-27-2022, 10:07 AM

297 posts, read 133,484 times
Quote:
He literally stated he did not base his decision on idealogy?

I think you misunderstand demand vs ability to supply. The overall demand due to everyone at home during an arctic blast was exceeding the ability to supply and meet demands. It could be an infrastructure limit or worst case scenario they never planned for. Regardless, it can and will help people save money whether you agree or not.

FYI, coal has its own cost; when all the workers eventually get black lungs and eat up healthcare dollars. Those dollars gets subsidized, somehow, someway - this is just a transfer of those dollars to an alternative, and potentially avoiding that imminent future.

This from someone who has a newly installed heat pump and natural gas.

Old 12-27-2022, 01:49 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
He literally stated he did not base his decision on idealogy?

I think you misunderstand demand vs ability to supply. The overall demand due to everyone at home during an arctic blast was exceeding the ability to supply and meet demands. It could be an infrastructure limit or worst case scenario they never planned for. Regardless, it can and will help people save money whether you agree or not.

FYI, coal has its own cost; when all the workers eventually get black lungs and eat up healthcare dollars. Those dollars gets subsidized, somehow, someway - this is just a transfer of those dollars to an alternative, and potentially avoiding that imminent future.

This from someone who has a newly installed heat pump and natural gas.
I said "THE push" against it, not "your push".....so your literally is literally irrelevant, literally.

Old 12-27-2022, 02:20 PM

297 posts, read 133,484 times
Quote:
I said "THE push" against it, not "your push".....so your literally is literally irrelevant, literally.
Why the need to change the topic to suit your purpose? Or maybe recognizing what I was referring to was a bit challenging?

I was referring to what he said in regards to "literally", but you spun it around to what you said - good one.

Anyways best of luck on your wonderful alternate option of a wood stove. Will be super nice having one room blasting with heat and all the other rooms varying from hot to even cold - high five, you win!

Old 12-27-2022, 11:16 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times
89% of downstate NY's electricity is sourced from the burning of oil and natural gas, so I don't understand what NYS legislators are seeking to accomplish by migrating people to heat pumps.

Old 12-28-2022, 07:50 AM

983 posts, read 725,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
89% of downstate NY's electricity is sourced from the burning of oil and natural gas, so I don't understand what NYS legislators are seeking to accomplish by migrating people to heat pumps.
Because the source of electricity is changing too.

"pledging to get 70 percent of its electricity from renewables by 2030"

https://www.nysfocus.com/2022/11/21/...ewable-energy/

Old 12-28-2022, 09:34 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Because the source of electricity is changing too.

"pledging to get 70 percent of its electricity from renewables by 2030"

https://www.nysfocus.com/2022/11/21/...ewable-energy/
Thank you for the link.

I think the State is moving too fast with mandates: hybrids make more sense in the short term, lest something like what happened in TX, happen in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island