Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 05:12 AM

3,226 posts, read 1,606,559 times

Advertisements

Got an email from National Grid yesterday, first time I have seen something like this. I never thought there would be a gas outage, this makes me want to have a backup heat source.

Quote:
Urgent Request:
Please Reduce
Natural Gas Usage

Due to extreme temperatures resulting in increased energy demand and unexpected interstate pipeline disruptions, we are asking for your assistance this evening to help us prevent a potential natural gas outage in your area. We realize this is an inconvenient time while you may be at home with friends and family celebrating the holidays.

We’re asking all natural gas customers in Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Long Island to reduce natural gas usage through tomorrow afternoon.

Here are some simple ways you can reduce your natural gas usage safely:

If your health permits, turn your thermostat down just five degrees at home, and to 60 degrees if you are not at home or, are operating a business.

If possible, avoid using gas fireplaces, clothes dryers and other appliances that use gas, which are not critical to your safety or health.

Along with asking you to conserve, we’ve requested our commercial customers who participate in our Demand Response program switch to alternative fuels. We’re also utilizing liquefied natural gas units for additional supply.

Ensuring safe and reliable service for our customers and the communities we serve is our number one priority and concern. Owners of natural gas pipelines have reported equipment problems caused by the cold weather and the heavy demand for natural gas are challenging their ability to provide adequate amounts of gas throughout the Northeast. The issues that the pipelines are experiencing are outside of our control.
We appreciate your support and cooperation to help ensure the reliability of the natural gas system.

National Grid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 05:28 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Even with tax breaks still way more $$. My sister in law needed a new furnace for main floor. It was $3100 installed last winter for a 55k btu unit. Go get a heat pump for 1400 sq ft for that price. Could of gotten it cheaper she got a variable speed 96% efficient unit.
How does she cool her home? Heat pumps do both and are very efficient A/C units. So you have to factor in the cost of a central A/C unit to make a fair comparison in cost.

Old 12-25-2022, 08:16 AM

983 posts, read 725,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
How does she cool her home? Heat pumps do both and are very efficient A/C units. So you have to factor in the cost of a central A/C unit to make a fair comparison in cost.
Exactly. I wouldn't install heat pumps just for heating. That'd be ridiculous.

Old 12-25-2022, 02:14 PM

260 posts, read 451,321 times
https://longisland.news12.com/nation...te-frigid-cold

Old 12-25-2022, 05:09 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
What a joke. The money people pay for this “service” vs what you actually get in return is ridiculous. No disrespect to the grunts out in the field busting their asses in the frigid cold or hellish heat and humidity.

Old 12-26-2022, 08:34 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
A few years back we had sub freezing temperatures for a few weeks in a row. My neighbors pipes froze. We had the heat cranking using natural gas. Not once did we get a notice that there was a supply issue. There should be no supply issue, the US has massive resources when it comes to natural gas. Things like this are the result of allowing ideology to run public policy. I get it why dumb kids who have been told the sky is falling have fallen for this stuff, but it's time for adults to stop placating them. Your EV car and heat pump and all the money you spend on converting to offset carbon emissions by 10 or 15% will be replaced by a new coal fired power plant being built in China or India or someplace else in the developed world. Not to mention all the new environmental costs involved with EV's and solar panels which we've yet to see the impact of.

Me personally, I'm going to get a wood stove as a back up, I', sure many other people will do, before THOSE are made illegal. And those pollute much more than natural gas.

Old 12-26-2022, 08:39 AM

983 posts, read 725,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
A few years back we had sub freezing temperatures for a few weeks in a row. My neighbors pipes froze. We had the heat cranking using natural gas. Not once did we get a notice that there was a supply issue. There should be no supply issue, the US has massive resources when it comes to natural gas. Things like this are the result of allowing ideology to run public policy. I get it why dumb kids who have been told the sky is falling have fallen for this stuff, but it's time for adults to stop placating them. Your EV car and heat pump and all the money you spend on converting to offset carbon emissions by 10 or 15% will be replaced by a new coal fired power plant being built in China or India or someplace else in the developed world. Not to mention all the new environmental costs involved with EV's and solar panels which we've yet to see the impact of.

Me personally, I'm going to get a wood stove as a back up, I', sure many other people will do, before THOSE are made illegal. And those pollute much more than natural gas.
Ok boomer

Old 12-26-2022, 08:42 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Ok boomer
GenX here junior.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:25 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Not sure why this topic has to become political or ageist.

What climate change and these past storms should show people is that you can't rely on just 1 source of power. Electric grids fail, particularly as we are placing more and more demands on them via heat pumps and EVs without first fortifying the grid sufficiently. Natural gas supply can become limited as higher demands are placed on them.

Having a back up wood based or propane heating system for emergencies makes good sense.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:13 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Ok boomer
Translation: you win the debate. I have nothing intelligent to add.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island