Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2023, 10:32 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Sadly I would rather have a window unit, you only have to look at it for 3-4 months a year.
Lol good point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2023, 05:58 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Wait until they force all of us to install solar. It will happen, and I'm sure in California and New York at first. I seriously can't wait to GTFO.

Old 01-07-2023, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Wait until they force all of us to install solar. It will happen, and I'm sure in California and New York at first. I seriously can't wait to GTFO.
In CA it’s already forced if you get new construction you have to install solar, not a choice. Since NY is a CARB state we pretty much follow California.

Old 01-07-2023, 08:49 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Hackle got what she wanted. She basically told conservatives in NY there’s the door, don’t let it hit you in the ass on the way out. Of course she back tracked it somewhat but we all know she really meant it.
Cuomo's approach was every much the same.

I marvel, in amazement, at how elected officials can, in so many words, tell a part of their constituency, 'get out.'

Something is very wrong.

And on the flipside, that approach is not helpful: instead of entreating people by using persuasive arguments, they're alienating them through incendiary rhetoric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Bottom line efficiency is very rarely fiscally responsible. A hybrid car saves gas $$, you need to drive it 100-150k miles before your even with the increased upfront cost. Maybe a heat pumps saves a few bucks they cost more upfront. A 20 seer condenser is cheaper than a 14 but it could take 15 years to make the $$ back. Until these fake green items such as heat pumps or electric cars get there energy from renewables and not from gas oil and coal power plants it’s really just a wast of $$ and not doing much for the environment.
Excellent points raised.

Quote:
I seriously can't wait to GTFO.
I'm surprised that you haven't already. Don't forget to pay the 1% excise tax on the purchase price of your home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
In CA it’s already forced if you get new construction you have to install solar, not a choice. Since NY is a CARB state we pretty much follow California.
The climate in NY is different than it is in CA; solar becomes less effective on cloudy days.

I'm sure the panels will be quite effective when covered with snow. Don't worry however, 89% of downstate NY gets their electric from oil and gas powered powerplants, which will ensure that your electric heatpumps will work.

Old 01-07-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Cuomo's approach was every much the same.

I marvel, in amazement, at how elected officials can, in so many words, tell a part of their constituency, 'get out.'

Something is very wrong.

And on the flipside, that approach is not helpful: instead of entreating people by using persuasive arguments, they're alienating them through incendiary rhetoric.

Excellent points raised.

I'm surprised that you haven't already. Don't forget to pay the 1% excise tax on the purchase price of your home.

The climate in NY is different than it is in CA; solar becomes less effective on cloudy days.

I'm sure the panels will be quite effective when covered with snow. Don't worry however, 89% of downstate NY gets their electric from oil and gas powered powerplants, which will ensure that your electric heatpumps will work.
This isn’t North Dakota. A properly sized system will easily over produce what you need in the spring and summer months and the unused credits carry over and make up for the cloudy days and the tiny handful of days you may have snow on your panels. That being said no one should be forced to buy solar, heat pumps, or anything else they don’t want to buy.

Old 01-07-2023, 03:47 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
It's already mandated in NYC. Since liberal progressive hippy-dippy democrat diseases, sorry "schemes", seem to be spreading from that area to rest of state via Albany or whatever don't be too surprises if solar does become mandated.

https://www.nyc.gov/site/hpd/service...20until%202024.

Same commission that is mandating heat pumps isn't going anywhere nor are they done yet. There's room yet for more mischief a foot.

Old 01-07-2023, 05:25 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
They’re all sick in the head.
And everyone of these policies and such are loaded to the gills with hypocrisy.
It’s amazing how stupid people can be with this shet. Free thinking is having with the dinosaurs somewhere.

Old 01-07-2023, 07:51 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
This isn’t North Dakota. A properly sized system will easily over produce what you need in the spring and summer months and the unused credits carry over and make up for the cloudy days and the tiny handful of days you may have snow on your panels. That being said no one should be forced to buy solar, heat pumps, or anything else they don’t want to buy.
Point of use solar is a fantastic alternative for three out of four seasons in NY.

I have friends with solar, and they say that the system is fantastic, sans those days when inclement weather is present. Between that, and material that I read about TX having issues with solar in the winter, I only assumed that solar was impractical, in the winter, on LI, to power heatpumps.

Am I incorrect?

Old 01-08-2023, 09:45 AM

983 posts, read 725,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
They’re all sick in the head.
And everyone of these policies and such are loaded to the gills with hypocrisy.
It’s amazing how stupid people can be with this shet. Free thinking is having with the dinosaurs somewhere.
I'm assuming you have a better solution to curb CO2 emissions then...I'm all ears.

EDIT: and methane

Old 01-08-2023, 10:55 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
I'm assuming you have a better solution to curb CO2 emissions then...I'm all ears.

EDIT: and methane
Yeah I do. But why would I tell anybody? Especially the random Internet forum stranger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island