Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is shooting arsonists and looters ok
Yes 150 71.77%
No 59 28.23%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 06:59 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times

Advertisements

You may believe you are justified in shooting a looter in protecting your property. However, once shooting looters gets a start there is nothing preventing the looters from shooting back or first for that matter.

I firmly believe no one has the right to loot, commit arson, and should be held legally responsible
for their acts in a legal setting. The failure here is that the US has no leadership. Not only that but
Trump is actually stoking the fires of these riots to divert attention away from his grossly negligent handling of Covid 19 that has resulted in the deaths of more than 100,000 Americans. There is a strong possibility that it is the Trump loyalists who sent their jackels to accelerate the violence and are the real source of setting fires and destroying property.

As I read several of these posts it is clear that many CD members are blaming blacks for these riots and destruction. However, as I watched the news tonight I saw as many white people as blacks in the same crowds. I also saw a couple of looters running away from a store with their arms full of merchandise and wearing MAGA hats.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:19 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I also saw a couple of looters running away from a store with their arms full of merchandise and wearing MAGA hats.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
As a U.K. citizen, I’ve not got a dog in this hunt, so my lips are zippered shut, but I have a very good friend in NYC, a black defence attorney who has his own practice.
Discussing it with him, he said that aside from being none too surprised at the Minneapolis death occurring, the one thing that he can see coming out of this is that cops, whether black, white, Hispanic or oriental, will begin noticeably dealing with African Americans with kid gloves, and that black would-be law breakers, will feel that they can push the envelope a tad further now, as cops will (maybe), be reticent to arrest them.
This very thing has been happening in Baltimore since the Freddie Gray riots of 2015, and the city is much the worse off for it.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:28 PM

I believe that looters and arsonists must be stopped, by whatever means is necessary. Yes, that includes shooting them. The reason I believe this is that I consider them to be murderers: by their actions they are murdering their neighborhoods or even entire cities.

Take a look at this Streetview of what used to be called Gay Street in Baltimore. (This portion of it is now called Old Town Mall.) It was once a fairly prosperous commercial strip, but the looters and the arsonists destroyed it -- in 1968. And it's still dead. Maybe, possibly, it could have been saved, if the looters and the arsonists had been more effectively stopped.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2953...2!8i6656?hl=en

Last edited by bus man; 05-30-2020 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: original link didn't work

Old 05-30-2020, 07:48 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I could not vote in your poll because you conflate two very different groups of criminals.
Like with any crime, the punishment depends on the severity.

`
I agree that a completed crime would be able to be weighed and the total damage assessed with an appropriate judgement made, subsequent to the damage occurring.

I don't know that it's fair to expect such an exacting emphasis on a would be good Samaritan. You see armed assailants wheeling goods out of a school. You don't know at that point if there are children inside. You don't know at that point what the extent of the damage is.

Perhaps at the end of the day, the rioters were only there for the TVs and were going to leave children inside unharmed, but it would be very difficult for that to be known as a citizen.

We've gotten pretty decent at judgements after all is said and done. This is an action that will disrupt the process. In some ways, no different from proactively shutting down the country in order to prevent an unknown amount of deaths from Covid.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:57 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I believe that looters and arsonists must be stopped, by whatever means is necessary. Yes, that includes shooting them. The reason I believe this is that I consider them to be murderers: by their actions they are murdering their neighborhoods or even entire cities.

Take a look at this Streetview of what used to be called Gay Street in Baltimore. (This portion of it is now called Old Town Mall.) It was once a fairly prosperous commercial strip, but the looters and the arsonists destroyed it -- in 1968. And it's still dead. Maybe, possibly, it could have been saved, if the looters and the arsonists had been more effectively stopped.

your link doesn't work. All I can add is that I've made 1 trip to Baltimore. Stayed in the Inner Harbor, drove by JH Hospital to JHU. Block after block of hollowed out residential townhouses, barely signs of low-level economic activity (bodegas/convenience stores, a couple of restaurants every few blocks).

Old 05-30-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
your link doesn't work. All I can add is that I've made 1 trip to Baltimore. Stayed in the Inner Harbor, drove by JH Hospital to JHU. Block after block of hollowed out residential townhouses, barely signs of low-level economic activity (bodegas/convenience stores, a couple of restaurants every few blocks).
Try this one:

Old 05-30-2020, 09:10 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
That's what the "agitators" want.

In general, I think that authorities have been a day late declaring curfews, asking for assistance, calling out the National Guard, etc. They'll be better prepared next time.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:20 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Even the most egregious of crimes are still considered 'innocent' til the courts hear all evidence or receives an admission of guilt by the alledged. I'm not a fan of our court system ....yet it certainly Beats the ' citizen's making a swift extinquishing of a life.
Buildings can be remade. A life lost ..is not going to be cloned at the age it was snuffed out by an eager sideliner. Did we not learn anything when an innocent citizen...young and on scene...Edward jae song Lee was gunned down?

So to answer the poll. No.
This is not a shoot first ask no questions society.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:28 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,606 times
Looks like just as long as someone gets even, it's all good. Cops seem to be getting even by killing off their "13/90." Property and gun owners appear ready and willing to follow suit. The taxpayers are cheering for killing so they won't have to pay taxes to house another inmate. Whomever covid-19 doesn't finish off, the cheering folks will.

I am not defending looters. Never will. They need to go home and find more productive ways to deal with this, such as gathering up and helping the families of those murdered by overreaction. Maybe even the majority of them should find a way to get on the police force if they want control over others as police do. But as it is, these riots are an overreaction to reaction, just as cops sitting on chests and necks and shooting to kill are an overreaction to a reaction. This won't end until overreaction stops completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates