Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is shooting arsonists and looters ok
Yes 150 71.77%
No 59 28.23%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 11:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Is shooting arsonists and looters ok?

If you're not a cop, you risk everything.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:40 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_smith View Post
#blacklivesmatter
But really, they don't. Not to anyone. Everyone not black can feel good about not having to be black.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:41 AM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What this thread shows me is that there are many "conservatives" who are always yelling about following the Constitution, but don't really believe in the Constitution at all.

Can you quote a couple of the posts you consider fit that viewpoint?

`

Old 05-30-2020, 11:42 AM

923 posts, read 526,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Of course shooting is not acceptable for crimes against property. But, something severe needs to happen when 'mobs' of looters and arsonists use "a legitimate protest" as an excuse to loot and burn property. This has happened in Ferguson and now Minneapolis ... and elsewhere.

No rational, civil person condones the apparent treatment of Floyd by the police, and this must be dealt with in the courts, like any other illegal action. But, this lawless rampage (NOT a "response" as some try to paint it) is even more reprehensible and equally perverse -- and has nothing to do with race!

I do not understand the mindset of people who use any opportunity (such as a major storm, or the lights going out in a city, wrongdoing by public officials) ...to steal, loot, rob, burn, etc..... and then pretend that their actions are somehow civilized or justified.
Well said!

Old 05-30-2020, 11:46 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
But really, they don't. Not to anyone. Everyone not black can feel good about not having to be black.
Why didn't you just tell that old joke:
"What's the difference between St. Patrick's Day and Martin Luther King Day?"
"On St. Patrick's Day, everybody wants to be Irish".

I know you were being sarcastic, but this probably isn't the right thread. What happened to Floyd was not right, but burning and looting businesses, and potentially destroying a city, is not right either - the OP is talking about two separate things here, the people who want to link them are the ones with gasoline and matches in their hands.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:48 AM

807 posts, read 689,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
It's come up in Minneapolis, but it seems to be a trouble spot whenever there's an evacuation for a hurricane or key event. Curious what the CD thinks.
It's hard to just answer yes or no, I think it depends on the circumstances. If you/people around you are legitimately in jeopardy of serious physical harm/death as a direct result of a looter/rioter's actions, then I think the answer is yes. However, if this is not the case, then I think you should probably not engage and just let the looter/rioter face the legal consequences of his or her actions.

However, I think that by rioting and looting, any meaningful debate or governance is immediately disregarded because the looters/rioters end up drowning out actual protest groups by causing so much chaos, and nothing is ever accomplished.

I also think that the notable protest groups present in these cases are hard to take seriously. We get it, Black Lives Matter, we know you're mad that another black person was killed by a white person/police officer. In many cases, the death was certainly unjustifiable, and the white person/police officer should deservedly face serious consequences for his actions. HOWEVER.....statistically speaking, there really are not *that many* interracial murders. 2016 is the most recent year that I can find detailed FBI statistics regarding this, but of the 2,870 murders of blacks/African Americans, 243 (roughly 8.47%) were by whites, 2,570 (roughly 89.55%) were by blacks, and the remaining 57 cases were from other or unknown races. The numbers were slightly different for whites, but the same general principal holds true; 3,499 total murders of whites, 2,854 (81.57%) were by whites, 533 (15.23%) were by blacks, and the remaining 112 cases were by other or unknown races. Why then does Black Lives Matter routinely ignore 90% of black murders to focus on the 8.5%??? Do all black lives truly matter, or only the ones that were ended by whites? Perhaps there is a reason why nothing ever really changes....

Old 05-30-2020, 11:48 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Can you quote a couple of the posts you consider fit that viewpoint?

`
Anyone who thinks vigilantism is preferred over our legal system.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:49 AM

923 posts, read 526,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Completely depends on your location and the temperament of those in that location. Who wants to be a completely innocent white cop in a black community right now? Even if your not a cop, don't go in those areas if you are white.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:54 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
It's come up in Minneapolis, but it seems to be a trouble spot whenever there's an evacuation for a hurricane or key event. Curious what the CD thinks.
What, you want to bring out the crazies? My opinion this is a trolling question.

...and I'll nibble, a bit.

Violence needs to be met with appropriate counter force. 99.9% of the time, that does not involve "shooting arsonists and looters" unless they're armed, burning / shooting others in other words a clear threat of death to others. LA riots of '92, Hurricane Katrina in '05 (snipers, I think?) were a few exceptions.

Rest of the time, while the whole thing is a bummer, there are far tamer ways to 1) disperse and 2) arrest troublemakers short of "shooting" them. Jeez Louise.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:05 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
It's hard to just answer yes or no, I think it depends on the circumstances. If you/people around you are legitimately in jeopardy of serious physical harm/death as a direct result of a looter/rioter's actions, then I think the answer is yes. However, if this is not the case, then I think you should probably not engage and just let the looter/rioter face the legal consequences of his or her actions.

However, I think that by rioting and looting, any meaningful debate or governance is immediately disregarded because the looters/rioters end up drowning out actual protest groups by causing so much chaos, and nothing is ever accomplished.

I also think that the notable protest groups present in these cases are hard to take seriously. We get it, Black Lives Matter, we know you're mad that another black person was killed by a white person/police officer. In many cases, the death was certainly unjustifiable, and the white person/police officer should deservedly face serious consequences for his actions. HOWEVER.....statistically speaking, there really are not *that many* interracial murders. 2016 is the most recent year that I can find detailed FBI statistics regarding this, but of the 2,870 murders of blacks/African Americans, 243 (roughly 8.47%) were by whites, 2,570 (roughly 89.55%) were by blacks, and the remaining 57 cases were from other or unknown races. The numbers were slightly different for whites, but the same general principal holds true; 3,499 total murders of whites, 2,854 (81.57%) were by whites, 533 (15.23%) were by blacks, and the remaining 112 cases were by other or unknown races. Why then does Black Lives Matter routinely ignore 90% of black murders to focus on the 8.5%??? Do all black lives truly matter, or only the ones that were ended by whites? Perhaps there is a reason why nothing ever really changes....
So again, white folks see every shooting and killing of every black doing "wrong" as justified.

This is about whites killing blacks and continuing to live well and many times get a pat on the back for it. Whites often pump each other up for 'messing with' and putting fear into blacks, especially at work. White people can often afford lawyers to get them out of the heaviest punishment. White folks are clever enough to get themselves off the hook for just about everything. Every decision is deserved or justified because level of intellect enables them to outwit everyone else, especially blacks.

But then I suppose what this has come to is to be expected. White folks are also of a highly competitive nature - no one is going to 'get one over' on them if it takes killing you off...

This isn't about infighting and gang killings between people of the lowest common denominator. It's about punishment, and who never seems to receive much of it anywhere near equally because they have all the laws already on their side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates