Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is shooting arsonists and looters ok
Yes 150 71.77%
No 59 28.23%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 05:17 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I can only assume it wasn't worth it to them to try to loot stores that had armed citizens standing in front of them.
That would make them truly "hole-y" when churches reopen.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:21 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
From a retired police officer:

Speaking in very general terms, as state law varies:

You may use deadly physical force (DPF/shooting in this instance) to terminate or prevent:

A DPF Attack
Rape
Armed Robbery
Burglary of an Occupied Dwelling
Arson

You may generally never use DPF to prevent or terminate a property crime. That is, a larceny (theft of property), destruction of property, theft in general.

You may not use DPF to stop a physical force attack.

Rich
I think the lack of such ability leaves a particular target of harassment, property crimes, and theft open to repeat offenses. In instances where police are tied up with more pressing matters, the follow-up on any such matters is essentially nil. No one is going to be home 24/7 ready to run off a trespasser before a crime can be committed. We have jobs, sleep schedules, errands, and responsibilities. Criminals aren't bound by such limitations!

With restricted use of force, and a local police with no interest in following up on property crimes, what is to become of the neighborhoods who "are consistently meeting their comprehensive deductibles each year"? I think this is steering toward blame-the-victim / coddle-the-offender. If you stop serving justice to the lesser-but-serious crimes, property-owners will have no choice but to act in defense to send a message to all would-be offenders.

You can't tell me that a gun cannot be used in self-defense during an orchestrated lynching where traffic is blocked, car windows are broken, and people are being pulled out of their vehicles only to be beaten with 2x4's. The willful blindness by authorities in such determinations is appalling. It completely ignores the lopsided odds of survival in gang attacks on an individual and a single perp outsizing his victim by two times or more.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:40 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,660 times
Default Where's the cops when you need one?

Absent from the recent videos now circulating on the web are the police. I saw a Target big box store with empty shelves. How long did it take to clear it out? Where's the cops when you need one?

I watched a guy have his head caved in in Oregon while the police stood and watched.

What's up? Selective enforcement?

Old 06-02-2020, 08:41 PM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Its not a simple yes or no question. It depends on the situation and shoot to kill or shoot to stop. If someone with a Molotov cocktail is running down the street and about to launch their weapon and shooting them in the legs will stop them I would say yes. Shoot to kill, maybe.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:44 PM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Absent from the recent videos now circulating on the web are the police. I saw a Target big box store with empty shelves. How long did it take to clear it out? Where's the cops when you need one?

I watched a guy have his head caved in in Oregon while the police stood and watched.

What's up? Selective enforcement?
There was a store in Philadelphia that was looted for 15 hours straight.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...ht-owner-says/

I think many cities are more concerned about not upsetting the protesters than keeping control of their cities.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:46 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Its not a simple yes or no question. It depends on the situation and shoot to kill or shoot to stop. If someone with a Molotov cocktail is running down the street and about to launch their weapon and shooting them in the legs will stop them I would say yes. Shoot to kill, maybe.

Shooting a running person in the leg is not actually a real thing. It's just a movie thing.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:48 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,800,444 times
Quote:
and shooting them in the legs will stop them
Another moronic liberal concept.........shoot a running criminal in the leg.......

Old 06-02-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I think many cities are more concerned about not upsetting the protesters than keeping control of their cities.
There is a group that has been persecuted for thousands of years that has every right to get upset (link) and to date has not joined the festivities. Yet our rage and pain are constant.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Another moronic liberal concept.........shoot a running criminal in the leg.......
At point-blank range it is a good idea; otherwise it's for a movie set.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:15 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
At point-blank range it is a good idea; otherwise it's for a movie set.

"Point-blank" range is the distance at which a bullet will strike the actual point of aim, neither higher nor lower in its ballistic path. Generally speaking, that's going to be too far away to confidently target the extremities of a moving adversary.

And if you did, the overwhelming probability is that the round will completely penetrate that extremity to strike something (or someone) beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates