Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 05:30 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I had considered his opinions early on. What he continues to assert is that teachers are not capable of protecting themselves and children and this should be left to cops. I understand his concern that introducing armed teachers into classrooms comes with a certain level of risk, but he hyperboles this risk comparing it to homes.
My assertion is that adding more guns to schools is not the solution because it increases risk. People are the weak point with guns, not the guns.
Quote:
I'm sick and tired of the constant whining for gun control as if it is a solution. It's not. I'm sick and tired of people asserting that citizens not trained to be cops are incapable of courage and protecting themselves and students. It worked great in Israel, it can easily work here.
Let us stat some facts:
You are scared, you carry a gun because you are scared.
I am not scared, I do not carry a gun and I walk with confidence. I give respect and I get respect. I have never been attacked by anyone and am not expecting it any time soon.
I do not need a gun to feel confident and safe. I think that fear plus guns is adding gasoline to a fire.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
"Gun folks" aren't the ones whining. We are on the defensive because "anti-gun folks" keep whining for more useless gun control laws.
I am not advocating for gun control laws. You are so scared you judgement is impaired, which is why I question some people having guns.

On September 11th, 2001 I was picking up a custom AR15 I had ordered from a guy in a parking lot because it could not be shipped to me because I did not have an FFL(?). I cannot even remember where I found the guy but it was online and it was a smooth transaction.
This was less than 5 miles from the Pentagon.
Quote:
Being a school administrator doesn't qualify you to claim that qualified trained teachers aren't capable of being armed and defending their classroom.
Being scared does not make you qualified to say they are.

There are a lot of people that have to make that decision, including the other people at the work location.
Quote:
I'm going to assume you don't think we have a school mass shooting problem since you see no need for good guys with guns in your school. We don't live in your utopian la la land.
But not all of us live in fear either....

Old 03-05-2018, 09:35 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
My assertion is that adding more guns to schools is not the solution because it increases risk. People are the weak point with guns, not the guns.
Let us stat some facts:
You are scared, you carry a gun because you are scared.
I am not scared, I do not carry a gun and I walk with confidence. I give respect and I get respect. I have never been attacked by anyone and am not expecting it any time soon.
I do not need a gun to feel confident and safe. I think that fear plus guns is adding gasoline to a fire.
Yes. As a principal, what I used to worry about in terms of guns and knives was the simple presence of a gun or a knife (which fortunately in our school occurred very rarely), but the scared kid who brought a weapon because he was being physically picked on or harassed and just intended to flash the weapon to scare the bullies away...except when cornered, few people really are thinking clearly. Every time I confiscated a gun or knife, that was the scenario the student talked about.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:07 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,237 times
Quote:
I am not advocating for gun control laws. You are so scared you judgement is impaired, which is why I question some people having guns.

On September 11th, 2001 I was picking up a custom AR15 I had ordered from a guy in a parking lot because it could not be shipped to me because I did not have an FFL(?). I cannot even remember where I found the guy but it was online and it was a smooth transaction.
This was less than 5 miles from the Pentagon.

Being scared does not make you qualified to say they are.

There are a lot of people that have to make that decision, including the other people at the work location. But not all of us live in fear either....
Fear has nothing to do with my desire that teachers be able to exercise their right to self defense. Same as anyone one else. It is simple, unless a business, school, mall, theater etc.. is going to guarantee the safety of those on the property by using metal detectors and armed guards(much the same system as airports and courthouses) they have no business preventing anyone from concealed carry for self protection. Since this is excessive, I default to allowing CC. Unguarded gunfree zones are pathetic policies.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:24 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Fear has nothing to do with my desire that teachers be able to exercise their right to self defense. Same as anyone one else. It is simple, unless a business, school, mall, theater etc.. is going to guarantee the safety of those on the property by using metal detectors and armed guards(much the same system as airports and courthouses) they have no business preventing anyone from concealed carry for self protection. Since this is excessive, I default to allowing CC. Unguarded gunfree zones are pathetic policies.
Absolutely the worst idea ever. What happens when the Police respond to a shooting incident and there is a teacher in the hall with a gun? Are they going to do a time out and talk to the teacher or blow his brains out? What happens to kids who are caught in crossfire between a bunch of armed teachers and the suspect, or do you think that teachers will all be deadeye shots and hit their target every time they fire the gun?

Life is not a video game, you don't get to go back to the entrance to the zone and start the mission over when you die like you do in Call of Duty.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:55 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
And where in the Constitution does it give anyone the right to carry anywhere they want? I must have missed that clause.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Absolutely the worst idea ever. What happens when the Police respond to a shooting incident and there is a teacher in the hall with a gun? Are they going to do a time out and talk to the teacher or blow his brains out? What happens to kids who are caught in crossfire between a bunch of armed teachers and the suspect, or do you think that teachers will all be deadeye shots and hit their target every time they fire the gun?

Life is not a video game, you don't get to go back to the entrance to the zone and start the mission over when you die like you do in Call of Duty.
Since when has the cops entered a place while the shooting is occurring? Your assertion is the typical nonsensical wait for the police to clean it up. And for the hundredth time, I have not advocated teachers act as cops, just guard their rooms. You can have a roaming uniformed guard for pursuing a shooter, if they will even do it. Btw, it is ridiculous that you suggest a good guy with a gun attempting to stop a shooter is more a hazard. Pathetic ideology nonsense.

Last edited by maat55; 03-05-2018 at 03:01 PM..

Old 03-05-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And where in the Constitution does it give anyone the right to carry anywhere they want? I must have missed that clause.
I’m not basing this opinion on law. It’s a suggestion to allow citizens at least protect themselves, when those who manage the property are not willing or are inept in doing so.

I’m curious as to why schools are any different than Walmart or the general public. I understand courthouses being gunfree due to its duties, but at least they properly screen those entering. IMO, those who think declaring a property gunfree without proper screening are insanely ignorant.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Since when has the cops entered a place while the shooting is occurring? Your assertion is the typical nonsensical wait for the police to clean it up. And for the hundredth time, I have not advocated teachers act as cops, just guard their rooms. You can have a roaming uniformed guard for pursuing a shooter, if they will even do it. Btw, it is ridiculous that you suggest a good guy with a gun attempting to stop a shooter is more a hazard. Pathetic ideology nonsense.
They do it frequently enough, they did in Vegas.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
They do it frequently enough, they did in Vegas.
Not with schools and homes. It is not possible for police to stop a mass shooter when they are not on the scene to start with. So, where were they during Columbine? Outside. Where were they during the Florida shooting? Outside. Where were they during Sandy hook? Again, declaring gunfree zones is a bad joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates