Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 02:50 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I agree that we need more police officers in school but it's foolish to only depend on others who can't be everywhere at all times and with no guarantee to their actions.
There were professional police officers in parkland. Did they protect the children? How did that turn out?
NO ONE sane wants guns a blazing around kids. no one So your Yosemite sam comment is a prejudicial red herring to your disdain for gun owners.
No one wants a shoot out around kids. Period. The only thing worse than a shoot out, is a defenseless slaughter with no one shooting back.
Its an old quote but it's still true as human nature since that really never changes. There are 3 types of people in the world;
Sheep
Wolves
Sheep dogs
You can ignore the danger but it's still there lurking. The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
The chances of taking down a shooter who has a semi-auto and gets the drop on you are really, really horribly bad. Not to mention there's a real good chance they will at least be wearing a vest which means you better do something to stop your hands from shaking so you can get a head shot off while he's unloading 30 rounds magazines in your direction(I asked my husband who knows a lot more about this than I do and he said it's not that hard to fire 90 rounds from an AR15 in a minute as long as you can change magazines in 4 seconds or less) so you tell me, during that 60 seconds when are you going to get the chance to unholster your gun, aim it at the shooters head and take him out?

The chance of an accidental shooting, capping a kid in crossfire, or a teacher's gun being taken from them and used to kill the teacher or other kids is much, much greater than your chance of being a hero in your fictional scenario.

I would like to see better vetting of people who who can possess assault style weapons but that won't happen so the only things we can do is try to prevent school shootings and I agree with Old Guard, it would require having a Police Officer at every school, doors that you can only open from the inside unless you use an access card or key in a code, perimeter fencing and bulletproof windows.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:12 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,871,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The chances of taking down a shooter who has a semi-auto and gets the drop on you are really, really horribly bad. Not to mention there's a real good chance they will at least be wearing a vest which means you better do something to stop your hands from shaking so you can get a head shot off while he's unloading 30 rounds magazines in your direction(I asked my husband who knows a lot more about this than I do and he said it's not that hard to fire 90 rounds from an AR15 in a minute as long as you can change magazines in 4 seconds or less) so you tell me, during that 60 seconds when are you going to get the chance to unholster your gun, aim it at the shooters head and take him out?

The chance of an accidental shooting, capping a kid in crossfire, or a teacher's gun being taken from them and used to kill the teacher or other kids is much, much greater than your chance of being a hero in your fictional scenario.

I would like to see better vetting of people who who can possess assault style weapons but that won't happen so the only things we can do is try to prevent school shootings and I agree with Old Guard, it would require having a Police Officer at every school, doors that you can only open from the inside unless you use an access card or key in a code, perimeter fencing and bulletproof windows.

You clearly don't understand much about guns or tactical situations.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:33 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I'm not apposed to this. Yet, what is wrong with trained teachers? There is no guarantee that even the hired/volunteer guards will save the day. If I had a child in school, I would prefer they be in a class where the teacher is armed and trained enough to protect a their classroom.
There's no guarantee teachers can do that job either. I simply can't see how a stressed out teacher that makes $35K a year, has to pay out of their own pockets for their own supply, would want to take on this responsibility. If they're throwing bonuses, they'd rather the bonuses be applied towards education.

2 teachers, both whom served in the military provide their reasoning why this is a ludicrous idea
Should America's Teachers Be Packing Heat? - The Opposition with Jordan Klepper (Video Clip) | Comedy Central-

Highlights include:
--"Negligent discharge of the gun, which happens to the best of shooters"
--Teachers are already swamped with work
--"my job is to teach"
--a teacher having a gun is actually a barrier to the student teacher relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
So, "liberal" is a derogatory name? Perhaps your skin is way to thin.
The way you use it? Yes. You seem to assume anybody against your plan is a liberal, whereas if they're for it, they're conservative.

Newsflash.. there are conservatives who are well educated and do NOT like guns! likewise, there are liberals who've served in the armed forces, and not only used guns, but also trained others in how to use them. Don't be surprised if some of the people who agree with you are liberals, and those who don't are conservatives is all.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:07 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Guns and children don't mix. Ever. I don't want kindergartners being around adults with guns. Unless it's the policeman is your friend situation.
My dad mixed me with guns when I was just a kid. i won a national award as just a kid, Distinguished Expert, 4 position smallbore. We were all kids and mixed fine with guns. At that time fewer than 100 people a year in the country achieved it.

You think there's something magical about a cop with a gun and a civilian with a gun is a danger. You couldn't be more wrong and it just reveals how disconnected you are from what the reality of these things are.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:08 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,869,518 times
Just a heads up. Have any of you heard "one shot one kill"?
Even among the very elite military snipers "one shot one kill" is a difficult goal.
I cannot remember the exact numbers but recently I saw an article about the amount of rounds expended in a recent engagement in Afghanistan and the number of confirmed kills per bullet. It was a staggering number.

In a "gun free zone" the shooter has a distinct advantage over his prey. Depending on how long it takes Law Enforcement to arrive the KILLER knows nobody will be shooting back (GUN FREE ZONES). In just a few minutes dozens of UNARMED students and teachers can be shot and killed. Armed Teachers/Janitors/Coaches. . . not in a GUN FREE ZONE remember.

Flashback to the recent Las Vegas shooting. The use of BUMPSTOCKS may have actually saved dozens of lives. Anything that affects ACCURACY keeps the number of kills lower.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:12 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
My dad mixed me with guns when I was just a kid. i won a national award as just a kid, Distinguished Expert, 4 position smallbore. We were all kids and mixed fine with guns. At that time fewer than 100 people a year in the country achieved it.
<>
Then the average teacher is going to be much worse with a gun that you.
"You're hired, Start Monday, 0600"

Old 03-09-2018, 06:13 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,918,925 times
Quote:
Here's what will happen if this comes to pass.

A shooter enters a school. A couple of teachers with guns start playing cowboys and Indians. The police arrive. They see a couple of unidentified men with a gun in a panic situation and shoot them (naturally). Those unidentified men were the teachers, not the intruder. Gee, what could go wrong?
Yeah, cause it's so much better to allow someone to slaughter many innocent lives as they wait for the cops to get to the scene just because the anti-gun people fight against anyone being able to stand up to an attacker and defend the victims.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:35 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post

You think there's something magical about a cop with a gun and a civilian with a gun is a danger. You couldn't be more wrong and it just reveals how disconnected you are from what the reality of these things are.
There's a disconnection alright. Perhaps you ought to start studying some of the polls and see what the majority of Americans think about guns in schools.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:02 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,871,219 times
Quote:
There's a disconnection alright. Perhaps you ought to start studying some of the polls and see what the majority of Americans think about guns in schools.
It doesn't mean they are right either.

Polls can clearly be wrong and biased.

Clearly you guys with your victim mentality win. Let's all live our lives like an ostrich and bury our heads in the sand. We should do nothing. Sit patiently and wait for our turn to be slaughtered next. Don't worry the cops are only 6 minutes away, provided they actually come into the building to engage the shooter.

Good luck

Old 03-10-2018, 07:27 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Then the average teacher is going to be much worse with a gun that you.
"You're hired, Start Monday, 0600"
Again, ONLY if they are not successfully trained. I wasn't trained, until I was. It is really that simple. I learned rapid fire holster draw in about a month, just practicing now and then. I still don't like it because I don't like being under time pressure for anything but I still passed all our qualification tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates