Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 05:01 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I’m not basing this opinion on law. It’s a suggestion to allow citizens at least protect themselves, when those who manage the property are not willing or are inept in doing so.

I’m curious as to why schools are any different than Walmart or the general public. I understand courthouses being gunfree due to its duties, but at least they properly screen those entering. IMO, those who think declaring a property gunfree without proper screening are insanely ignorant.
I think people should be able to bring guns to Trump rallies

Old 03-05-2018, 05:02 PM

50,769 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think people should be able to bring guns to Trump rallies
I totally agree. If it's good enough for schools where there are present (which Trump stated), then it's good enough for the White House, Trump rallies, and the Capitol building. Heck, it might give him a chance to run into situations unarmed and save the day.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:20 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,484,998 times
Quote:
Not with schools and homes. It is not possible for police to stop a mass shooter when they are not on the scene to start with. So, where were they during Columbine? Outside. Where were they during the Florida shooting? Outside. Where were they during Sandy hook? Again, declaring gunfree zones is a bad joke.
You only think that because you can only comprehend one tool. Outside of the service and the range and perhaps some special circumstances I have NEVER carried a gun and have never felt I needed one.

School shootings have declined since the 90's and you are fearful and reactionary. Personally I do not think that is the way to make clear and intelligent decisions.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
You only think that because you can only comprehend one tool. Outside of the service and the range and perhaps some special circumstances I have NEVER carried a gun and have never felt I needed one.

School shootings have declined since the 90's and you are fearful and reactionary. Personally I do not think that is the way to make clear and intelligent decisions.
It easy to say you haven't needed one, until you need one. I could provide you a thousand stories where people wish they had one.

Twice I am glad I had one, and glad I didn't need to use it. Both these encounters could have went sideways on me.

You can keep asserting I'm fearful and reactionary until your blue in the face, but it will not be true. Crime and shootings are a reality. Schools shootings can happen at anytime any place. People die everyday at the hands of criminals. Allowing Americans to be prepared to protect themselves should be the rule. It is selfish and irresponsible of you and governments to tie their hands.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/

Old 03-06-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
It easy to say you haven't needed one, until you need one. I could provide you a thousand stories where people wish they had one.
A thousand "stories" vs hundreds of thousands daily, in this country, not needing them. Sounds reasonable.
Quote:
Twice I am glad I had one, and glad I didn't need to use it. Both these encounters could have went sideways on me.
But they did not AND no telling if the gun would have helped you or hindered you. You can say that definitely it would have but you do not know for sure.
Quote:
You can keep asserting I'm fearful and reactionary until your blue in the face, but it will not be true.
You carry a gun because you are afraid.
Quote:
Crime and shootings are a reality. Schools shootings can happen at anytime any place. People die everyday at the hands of criminals.
And then you go on to prove it.
Quote:
Allowing Americans to be prepared to protect themselves should be the rule. It is selfish and irresponsible of you and governments to tie their hands.
What happens when the criminals also have guns? I mean you can think you are Rambo but I doubt that.
Quote:

Old 03-06-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
A thousand "stories" vs hundreds of thousands daily, in this country, not needing them. Sounds reasonable.

But they did not AND no telling if the gun would have helped you or hindered you. You can say that definitely it would have but you do not know for sure.

You carry a gun because you are afraid.

And then you go on to prove it.
What happens when the criminals also have guns? I mean you can think you are Rambo but I doubt that.
You are welcome to play Russian ruelet, I’ll keep my gun and fire extinguishers.

Actually, on both occasions I was prepared and not surprised by the possible threats.

I carry because I value my life and the possibility of it being taken away is ongoing. Do you keep fire extinguishers? Life insurance?

If a criminal has a gun? I hope he doesn’t have the drop on me and I’ll be glad I have a fighting chance to survive.

Your posts are becoming more pathetic nonsense. I hope you never need a gun and wish you had it, but if you do, I hope you remember I told you so before you become worm food? I’m curious, is your “bravery” seated in believing you go to a heaven upon death? If so, your belief makes as much sense as your survival plan.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Actually, on both occasions I was prepared and not surprised by the possible threats.
The problem is that you perceive these two instances as threatening and nothing happened but you have no idea how many actual threats, if any, you were not aware of. The way you post is like a cartoonish/westerns viewpoint on real life.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:48 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,015 times
Listening to the radio today.. .

At the Oscars a heavy armed presence was shown. Inside was supporting gun control.
Interesting contrast there.

One guest on a radio show talked about grief and how we point and place blame. Now it's on guns.
He said the students know when one of theirs is bad news.
Make a loners club on a campus, a place to share information and reach out to fellow students. Those at school do know the trouble makers. They know the kids to avoid. If kids don't feel comfortable speaking up on someone they know is going to cause problems, that needs to change.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Listening to the radio today.. .

At the Oscars a heavy armed presence was shown. Inside was supporting gun control.
Interesting contrast there.

One guest on a radio show talked about grief and how we point and place blame. Now it's on guns.
He said the students know when one of theirs is bad news.
Make a loners club on a campus, a place to share information and reach out to fellow students. Those at school do know the trouble makers. They know the kids to avoid. If kids don't feel comfortable speaking up on someone they know is going to cause problems, that needs to change.
Guns may not be the problem but they are not the solution.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Guns may not be the problem but they are not the solution.
So, a shooter walks in a classroom and starts shooting? What is your plan to stop him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates