Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 11:02 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There comes a time when voting is no longer effective though, look at our current Govt, and how tyrannical many of its laws and regulations are...yet everyone seems to be under a spell, that its all for their benefit, or to protect their health/ safety.

I dont think the founding fathers could have foreseen or guarded against whats happening today, the mass brainwashing/ conditioning of the public, all so popular public opinion lines up better with what a tyrannical govt desires. Its really very clever and very effective.

The exact same thing is happening with drugs, govt cracked down on doctors and opioid prescription drugs, under the guise of protecting health and safety of the public, now most people actually applaud govt for taking these steps, they believe its truly about protecting their health and safety. They actually are completely fine with a govt agency coming between them and their doctor!!
I am not sure you understand what tyrannical means.

Quote:
I graduated high school in 1994, these were the days before most schools had a police resource officer, and yet these kinds of mass shootings were rare back in the 80s and 90s, how do you explain this?
Social media, 24 hour news cycle, a change in policies worshiping outsiders, people feeling their rights outweigh those of others. There have been a lot of changes in 25 years.
Quote:
A 'militia' would know when a govt has become tyrannical, or when its beginning to overstep its bounds, and would know when its time to take action.

After all, a govt that is or seeks to be, tyrannical, is NEVER going to come out and admit itself to be tyrannical, they would always try to disguise tyranny as something else, safety, health, etc.

To a tyrannical govt a patriot is the same thing as a terrorist.
1.) No. I do not trust a militia.
2.) LMFAO at pathetic militias against the US Military. You can have your pacifiers but look at all who stand against small parts of the US military today and eventually lose. This is with people not even having a real will to fight them or feeling personally invested.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:11 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Is this about a militia to protect children in schools or about gun laws? Because if this is about the gun laws for you then that is a problem.

The past assault rifle bans ironically made Americans buy better guns but made high capacity magazines a commodity. I keep wanting to buy about 300 30rd mags to sell the next time they restrict the sale of new ones but the market seems flooded right now. I think they are a long term commodity.

I am not saying they are not capable, I am saying they can also be the problem. Nobody says they want to grow up and be a school shooter when they are 4 years old.

Having a gun in your household increases chances of gun related violence in a home. I am not sure of the exact phrasing but I have seen numerous studies:
Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

One of my good friends was a firearms trainer for a federal police agency and some of the stories he told me were just plain tragic.

No, what I mean is that every topic you see on this your answer is the the same "More guns", this is not because your want to save children but you just want more guns. Police are generally reactionary for a reason, because we do not want them to arrest people who "we think" might be bad and violate the Rights of innocent people.

OH look, maat55 was spoon fed a new word and is trying to wedge it into every conversation she can.

Look, I not a liberal, I ****ing served in my countries military (US Army, Airborne, Air Assault, Infantry) am not anti-gun so keep trying to label me. You like labels because they make it so you do not have to think and can just listen to your talk radio and use their thinking for yourself.

Did you ever serve in the US military? If you love guns so much why not? Don't you want to save kids?
A “militia” is irrelevant. Again, I’m proposing that volunteer trained teachers with CC’s be allowed to protect themselves and their students. No different than I do out in public, as opposed to having further infringements on 2A.

Honestly, I don’t think these events warrant any big change. I think just posting police cars out front would be a great deterrent. Individual districts should decide their own solutions beit arming a few teachers, hiring security, posting police cars or a combination of these. What should not be discussed is 2A infringements aside from doing a better job of isolating those who should not buy them.

I don’t believe the “problems” that occur in households should be applied to CC ‘s in school rooms. Homeowners can be sloppy and less responsible than CC holders that are in carry mode.

Not so much more guns as less gun free zones that are soft targets.

I don’t care if you dislike labels. I’m referencing a broad mindset that citizens are inferior to government personnel. Your posts appear to reflect this.

No, I did not serve in the military, which is irrelevant.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
A “militia” is irrelevant. Again, I’m proposing that volunteer trained teachers with CC’s be allowed to protect themselves and their students. No different than I do out in public, as opposed to having further infringements on 2A.

Honestly, I don’t think these events warrant any big change. I think just posting police cars out front would be a great deterrent. Individual districts should decide their own solutions beit arming a few teachers, hiring security, posting police cars or a combination of these. What should not be discussed is 2A infringements aside from doing a better job of isolating those who should not buy them.

I don’t believe the “problems” that occur in households should be applied to CC ‘s in school rooms. Homeowners can be sloppy and less responsible than CC holders that are in carry mode.
I think this is where I disagree with you. I do not see CC's as any more responsible or less responsible than anyone else really. That goes for veterans as well. Both groups are part of society, not separate from society.
Quote:
Not so much more guns as less gun free zones that are soft targets.
There will always be soft targets.
Quote:
I don’t care if you dislike labels. I’m referencing a broad mindset that citizens are inferior to government personnel. Your posts appear to reflect this.
No, I am saying that adding more guns to schools is not the solution to gun violence. I mean you can try to call me names and state that I am saying government personnel are superior to citizens but I am not the one suggesting veterans be "assigned" to schools am I?
Quote:
No, I did not serve in the military, which is irrelevant.
It is very relevant to me.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I think this is where I disagree with you. I do not see CC's as any more responsible or less responsible than anyone else really. That goes for veterans as well. Both groups are part of society, not separate from society.

There will always be soft targets.

No, I am saying that adding more guns to schools is not the solution to gun violence. I mean you can try to call me names and state that I am saying government personnel are superior to citizens but I am not the one suggesting veterans be "assigned" to schools am I?

It is very relevant to me.

It’s been clear from the start that we disagree. You clearly have no respect for armed citizens and seem to think your service affords you special insight, which it doesn’t. I really don’t see that we don’t have anymore horse to beat.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
It’s been clear from the start that we disagree. You clearly have no respect for armed citizens and seem to think your service affords you special insight, which it doesn’t. I really don’t see that we don’t have anymore horse to beat.
Well you could answer some questions that have been asked of you, not just by me but several others. You seem to think that carrying a gun makes someone innately "right" and absolves them from answering questions.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:59 PM

Georgia teacher arrested after firing gun in school, police say

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/28/us/ge...ire/index.html

Old 03-01-2018, 01:51 PM

Ex-South Carolina cop who shot fleeing Walter Scott in the back sentenced to 20 years in prison

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chica...story,amp.html

Old 03-01-2018, 01:59 PM

Can we rely on police when shooters are active in school? I hope so in the future if we are going to prevent capable teachers from self defense. Yet, I’ve yet to see cops enter to stop an on going attack.

Four sheriff’s deputies hid during Florida school shooting

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....-shooting/amp/

Old 03-01-2018, 02:16 PM

Police are humans like the rest of us. The vast majority are outstanding at doing the tasks they are trained to do. Unfortunately, as with home invasions and other surprise type crimes, they are minutes away. Even security guards may be minutes away when needed.

The teachers are the only people capable of immediate defense. Those that are capable and desire to, should be allowed to CC with training. Cops are trained for many tasks, teachers need only defend a room. To compare classrooms to homes where guns exist is apples to oranges. Trained CC will be less like to have accidentally shootings.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:30 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Quote:
I am not sure you understand what tyrannical means.

Social media, 24 hour news cycle, a change in policies worshiping outsiders, people feeling their rights outweigh those of others. There have been a lot of changes in 25 years.

1.) No. I do not trust a militia.
2.) LMFAO at pathetic militias against the US Military. You can have your pacifiers but look at all who stand against small parts of the US military today and eventually lose. This is with people not even having a real will to fight them or feeling personally invested.
Who are you talking about? Jihadist terror cells?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates