Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 03:56 AM

574 posts, read 382,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
If you want some guy like this guarding your kids......... fine. I don't.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0
if they can do the job and possibly stop a shooter if it were to happen, why should anyone care what they look like, where they live, how many teeth they do/don't have? you're obviously not looking for a debate here

Old 02-27-2018, 05:08 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Typical bs that only government officers/military are capable of self defense, mentally and physically. Average people do it everyday. Happened in Tulsa recently in a liquor store. Two women fought for their lives and won. Many homeowners successful defend themselves at home. What these people have in common is they think through the possibilities, have a plan and fight to survive.

There’s no guarantee you can react fast enough if you are surprised. Yet, when a shooter goes room to room, you have an advantage of gaining position to get the drop on anyone who comes in the door. These things need to be thought about in advance so that reaction is second nature. I don’t know why kids aren’t being taught to throw chairs and charge when they have no other option. Ducking under tables and waiting to be shot doesn’t make sense, but it’s natural to do that when there is no plan. People freeze because they don’t plan ahead. But, I guess planning ahead is just fantasy when it’s not a government program.
The thing I trust about trained professionals is that they do not need to label people to feel better about themselves and if they do they can, and often are, disciplined for it. Many pocket Rambo's injure themselves or the ones they love with their own guns. I guess I view many pocket Rambo's as I do George Zimmerman, as cowards emboldened to be bullies because they have a gun. Something they would not do if they did not.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:49 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
The thing I trust about trained professionals is that they do not need to label people to feel better about themselves and if they do they can, and often are, disciplined for it. Many pocket Rambo's injure themselves or the ones they love with their own guns. I guess I view many pocket Rambo's as I do George Zimmerman, as cowards emboldened to be bullies because they have a gun. Something they would not do if they did not.
So, you are generalizing everyone with a cc license as “pocket rambos”. Got it, your opinion is ridiculously biased and not worthy of attention.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:45 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Not to mention hunters that shoot themselves or others or fall out of raised blinds.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:46 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
[quote=SSeligman;51156702]if they can do the job and possibly stop a shooter if it were to happen, why should anyone care what they look like, where they live, how many teeth they do/don't have? you're obviously not looking for a debate here[/QUOTE
My point being you cannot just ask for "volunteers" from every day life to be expected to compently protect kids in a school. the pictures are just a visual aid of examples of common people who may or may NOT be what is needed.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:48 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
So, you are generalizing everyone with a cc license as “pocket rambos”. Got it, your opinion is ridiculously biased and not worthy of attention.
as if some of them are not?

Old 02-27-2018, 06:59 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Most of these mass shooters are suicidal they don't give a crap if the school is a gun free zone or not.
Statistics say otherwise.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:08 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post

Create a new modern day Citizens Militia to fill the job of armed school guard against all threats.

Militia members can be volunteers who have been trained in the military so serve. There is a huge pool of discharged or retired ex-military members who would serve in a heart beat by simply being assigned to this task.

The details of this type of service could be worked out on a state by state basis with limited or no federal involvement. (less red tape)
Thats an absolute big NEGATIVE on this horrible horrible horrible idea. I mean seriously, WTF!?!?!? People seemed to have lost their friggin' minds on this. You want some yahoo walking around your child's school armed? Some dude who you have no idea what his background is? No friggin' way. Military background is no where near enough. People need to be not only trained but also (and MOST importantly) proven to be mentally fit for the job. Remember, Chris Kyle was killed by a armed guy who was "trained in the military".

Stupid stupid stupid idea.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:49 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Where did you learn that they are the same?

Actually a Pistol is way better than a AR15 in close quarters, because most time the shooter will want to shoulder the weapon. So an AR 15 is not made for Close Quarter shooting.

Most so called Assault Weapons are chambered .223. Most Pistols are bigger. An AR15 is Semi Automatic so is most Pistols.

There isn't any difference other than one has a Longer Barrel.

brushrunner

Old 02-27-2018, 07:50 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
You have generalized a LOT in this thread.

See this post as an example:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/51132960-post6.html

The funny thing is I have lived almost my entire life without carrying a weapon and never have I ever felt I needed one. When I was an Airborne, Air Assault qualified infantryman in the United States Army we only had our weapons as needed. For training, in the field, cleaning, etc...

I lived in the barracks for almost my entire time and even personal weapons were required to be kept in the arms room. I purchased a Mossberg shotgun that had a bayonet from some guy in my company. It stayed in the arms room until I got out. I never felt unsafe.

I do not think adding more guns to schools will keep anyone safer, I personally feel it will just introduce more risks. I see no reason for this at all. The murderer gets to pick the time and place of the incident. This is an advantage that will be almost impossible to counter. If they do not like something they just wait. For those that are suicidal knowing that there are more people walking around with guns may just embolden them to action so they can get the suicide by cop/rent-a-cop. To me your gun is a pacifier. It makes you feel more secure and enables you to go on with your day. I do these things without a pacifier and do not have problems. Your gun may be able to protect you in a small set of circumstances but it will not protect you from a lot of circumstances like being run over by a truck or hit in the back of the head with a brick. If I ever felt the need to act against someone and I knew or suspected they were armed with anything I would just change my actions to mitigate the risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates