Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 12:31 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Defending a classroom does not require extensive training or liability.
WHAT!!!???

Defending a classroom properly may require more training and certainly contains a lot of liability.

Bullets can go through walls and houses. A school has walls, but unlike a house a school during a school day has a fair number of children behind those walls. The solution we are looking for is how to protect children from getting shot, not how to shoot them.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:01 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If the National Guard IS the militia as you say, why have we not heard a peep from them with all these mass shootings and more gun control laws?

Seems like a militia would be the first group I would want to hear from when it comes to a Govt possibly infringing on the 2nd amendment.

I believe its already been discussed about 'the people' actually being the militia today, there is no well regulated group, its just regular adult civilians that are equally responsible for this duty.
It's not as "I say" but what is. From the second page of this thread.

Title 10 USC Sec. 311. Militia: composition and classes
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, CITIZENS of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

The National Guard is in fact the well trained militia.

And everybody else from 17 to 44 are ( when called upon by Congress) the ( untrained) militia. They will presumably be trained after being called upon. I.e. WWI and WWII.

I caution you that you may not want to hear from the militia when it comes to the 2nd Amendment as not everyone always agrees with each other.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:43 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
So, cops and military practice on humans? Mental preparation helps when survival is necessary. By your mindset, it is best you duck under a table and pray.
most military are being trained 24/7 {with some sleep} for 6 months. Then they are only trained a small amount for general scenarios. You do know some of the meanest badass posers turn into wimpering cowards when the bullets fly in their direction. You can only guess at how people react in a real life scenario.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:45 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I do not see how militarizing the school system with what are basically mercenaries and vigilante militias will do anything but create problems. Who is this 'militia' accountable to?

We'll end up with another disastrous Blackwater situation.
very possible.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:17 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
There is the real world and there is your imagined utopia. In the real world, there are those who will not conform to your utopian ideology. So, some of us do carry legally in public places, without the appearance of the Wild West.
So carry--that doesn't mean the rest of us have to also carry. Carrying guns around simply makes people more paranoid.

Odd you would call a gun free existence a 'utopia.' You call a society where kids and teachers can go to school unarmed, or shop unarmed, or go to a restaurant or any public place unarmed a 'utopia'?

I call it England, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Canada and every other civilized country.

"...At the same time, the combination of glorifying gun usage and promoting action encourages civilians to attempt what even trained professionals like police often can’t do: confront active shooter situations when taken by surprise, with little to no intel on the shooter’s intentions...

"...Even in more private situations, like confronting a robber in your home, the popular conception of the outcome is far from the truth. According to Mother Jones, for every time a gun is used in self-defense, there are seven assaults, 11 suicide attempts, and four accidents in or around the home. In reality, you’re far more likely to die at the hands of your own gun than you are to protect your family by shooting somebody else..."

The “Good Guy With a Gun” Myth | Harvard Political Review

Old 02-25-2018, 02:34 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Presumably a person designated as a FT first responder is going to be equally well armed (and better trained). You aren't going to post a FT guard with only a handgun.
But in any case, getting the same amount of firearms training as a police officer isn't difficult. Its a weekend a year of range time. About 15 hours/year is what cops get. Why can't teachers who choose to participate in that program spend the same amount of time? They have all summer off. You make it sound like its an insurmountable burden..
Make up your mind, you start out by talking about first responders being well armed and well trained then you wander off and start ruminating about why teachers spend the summer training to be first responders? What are these teachers going to carry? Trump says all guns will be concealed so are teachers going to be issued a Taurus PT-25 so they can carry it in their bra or in their pants pocket? This whole argument is so outrageously stupid that I'm wondering why I'm wasting my time typing this.
Quote:
That's exactly why Trump needs to pack the court with young conservatives. Like 6 more appointments - we need three anyway because three will be leaving (in the next 5 years, two will likely die on the bench, one likely will retire). The GOP needs to ram this through while they still have a chance. So that we will be protected for the next 40 years.
It's not going to happen lol, public opinion on this subject has changed.
Quote:
How about the principal and vice principal...both usually earn more than cops.
But they aren't cops, they weren't trained like cops and they aren't equipped like cops unless part of your plan includes making them wear a tactical vest..and should they also carry police radios with them?
Quote:
Your training didn't include ROE and how to distinguish combatants from non-combatants. Guess you are old school. Marines get all that today. Its probably a bit much for a grunt to learn though.
That's rude and you are misinformed. But tell us, where did you serve, and when? Or are you a cosplay soldier who got all your knowledge from playing Call of Duty on your x-box?

Old 02-25-2018, 03:13 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
WHAT!!!???

Defending a classroom properly may require more training and certainly contains a lot of liability.

Bullets can go through walls and houses. A school has walls, but unlike a house a school during a school day has a fair number of children behind those walls. The solution we are looking for is how to protect children from getting shot, not how to shoot them.
You have real knack for hyperbole. My guess there is no amount anal ization to please you. While you are anal izing, the rest of us will find solutions.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:21 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
You have real knack for hyperbole. My guess there is no amount anal ization to please you. While you are anal izing, the rest of us will find solutions.
You want "us" to keep out of your guns.
"We" want you to keep out of our schools.

You aren't offering solutions. You just want more and more guns.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:22 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
So "anal ization" ??? means pointing out irrefutable truths?

Old 02-25-2018, 04:19 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
You have your "solution" and that is more guns. You think that shooting inside a school does not require extensive training or liability. This is probably one of the worst places for a shootout.

To me your solution is like recruiting child molesters to watch children in schools to make sure they are not molested.
Just the presence of guns in schools raise the chances of children dying in school from gun related violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates