Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 11:00 PM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
My idea is to create The Well Trained Militia as the only people permitted to carry or own a semi automatic or more powerful weapon, all well vetted by their peers and with a command structure chartered at the Federal and State level.
"Posted around the site"
Sounds like a good idea to me, people who want one can join the militia, kind of solves two problems at the same time huh?

Old 02-25-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Protect her classroom, not assault a shooter walking up and down the aisles. We are talking last resort end of her life scenario and your grandmother having a Saturday night special is better than your grandmother hoping a thrown book and stapler will cause the shooter to choose the room next door. It doesn't protect the school, she protects herself and as a side effect those in the room with her has the extra measure of security.

However then unions and demand for more money in combat pay you get away from the armed citizen who carries to protect themselves from whatever it is they fear and towards a mercenary who carries a gun because they get extra money. But of course once that teacher takes money as an militiaman those who did not face fire will call her a coward if she did not on a banzai charge if someone started shooting.
What do unions have to do with this? I doubt if very many teachers would offer to do the job of police officers for any amount of money, they took the job because they want to teach children not get in a gunfight. Someone else suggest they should do combat training during summer vacation (which they don't get paid for by the way)

I can't fathom how a teacher in a classroom is supposed to kill a shooter who busts through the door firing a semi-automatic rifle, does the teacher ask for a time out so they can get their gun? The kids will be running and ducking for cover, does the teacher shoot through them or charge through the students to get to the shooter who somehow misses the teacher with one of his 30 rounds? Where is teachers gun, in their desk drawer, bra or pants pocket, or does teacher wear a holster? What's to stop a crazy high school student from assaulting and disarming the teacher and killing the teacher and a bunch of students with the gun.

Did you even think this through?

Old 02-26-2018, 04:42 AM

863 posts, read 795,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Your training didn't include ROE and how to distinguish combatants from non-combatants. Guess you are old school. Marines get all that today. Its probably a bit much for a grunt to learn though.
We absolutely did and don't let anyone say otherwise. ROE, combatant, non-combatant, close quarters fighting, all of it. And I have been retired almost 20 years from a combat arms MOS.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:02 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What do unions have to do with this? I doubt if very many teachers would offer to do the job of police officers for any amount of money, they took the job because they want to teach children not get in a gunfight. Someone else suggest they should do combat training during summer vacation (which they don't get paid for by the way)

I can't fathom how a teacher in a classroom is supposed to kill a shooter who busts through the door firing a semi-automatic rifle, does the teacher ask for a time out so they can get their gun? The kids will be running and ducking for cover, does the teacher shoot through them or charge through the students to get to the shooter who somehow misses the teacher with one of his 30 rounds? Where is teachers gun, in their desk drawer, bra or pants pocket, or does teacher wear a holster? What's to stop a crazy high school student from assaulting and disarming the teacher and killing the teacher and a bunch of students with the gun.

Did you even think this through?
You don't think if a teacher registered as a weapons carrier in school and the schools advertising that X percentage of their teachers are armed, thus saying we are supplementing the campus police, that the local unions won't try to get them extra pay just like they do for language proficiency? I don't think a union would be able to stop themselves if they lost the banning of weapons fight.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:21 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Sounds like a good idea to me, people who want one can join the militia, kind of solves two problems at the same time huh?
Yes that is exactly where I am going with this idea.
There are not enough psychiatrists to evaluate the people that are suspect and get reported to the authorities. There would be evaluation of applicants to TWRM by the membership. Members would be checking each other at all times. Anyone who became radical would be observed and would be controlled. If people wanted semi-automatic handguns or rifles the would have to be in TWRM. Everyone else over 21 would be under the existing legal requirements and could have any kind of six shooter, manual loading, or single shot rifle or shotgun they want.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
You don't think if a teacher registered as a weapons carrier in school and the schools advertising that X percentage of their teachers are armed, thus saying we are supplementing the campus police, that the local unions won't try to get them extra pay just like they do for language proficiency? I don't think a union would be able to stop themselves if they lost the banning of weapons fight.
You didn't finish your first sentence, I'm guessing you meant to say "would be a deterrent". Nope I don't because most mass shooters are suicidal, if not then they are delusional and don't think they can be stopped.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:32 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
<>Someone else suggest they should do combat training during summer vacation (which they don't get paid for by the way)
<>
There are many school districts not on the traditional calendar. Wake county is split with some year round schools and some traditional calendar.
I like the idea of a sign on the door:
CAUTION: UNIDENTIFIED PERSONNEL IN THIS BUILDING MAY BE ARMED AND TRAINED TO PROTECT THE OCCUPANTS. IF YOU ENTER WITH THE INTENT OF DOING HARM YOU SHOULD EXPECT RESISTANCE.

Much better that trying to discourage a killer with "Don't take your guns to town" signage.

OTOH, I'm pretty sure trying to train teachers as defenders is just going to make them the first dead body found afterwards. A teacher who has shooting as part of their life already should be permitted to carry. Recruiting the home ec teacher to be a gunny is not feasible.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
There are many school districts not on the traditional calendar. Wake county is split with some year round schools and some traditional calendar.
I like the idea of a sign on the door:
CAUTION: UNIDENTIFIED PERSONNEL IN THIS BUILDING MAY BE ARMED AND TRAINED TO PROTECT THE OCCUPANTS. IF YOU ENTER WITH THE INTENT OF DOING HARM YOU SHOULD EXPECT RESISTANCE.

Much better that trying to discourage a killer with "Don't take your guns to town" signage.

OTOH, I'm pretty sure trying to train teachers as defenders is just going to make them the first dead body found afterwards. A teacher who has shooting as part of their life already should be permitted to carry. Recruiting the home ec teacher to be a gunny is not feasible.
But more likely it wouldn't even slow them down. Mass shooters would probably like the idea, it would make the whole thing more exciting like a first person shooter, not to mention - if it were an ex-student like Nikolas Cruz he would likely know who was and wasn't armed as would any kid attending the school. Banks with armed guards have been robbed for decades, the perpetrators simply learn the habits/patterns of the guards.

I think the only reason people are even entertaining the idea of arming teachers is because 1) they feel hopeless and want to believe that something will stop this -or 2) they will latch on to any solution that does not involve blaming the gun. And arming teachers does nothing to prevent another Las Vegas massacre, or the Sutherland Springs mass shooting, if we go down this road how many people do we arm before we start talking about limiting who can have access to these guns?

Old 02-26-2018, 08:33 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Quote:
I know, a University of Cleveland study estimated that putting one guard per 1,000 students in every school in the US would cost 22.6 billion a year and that didn't include costs for metal detectors, bullet proof windows, fencing, etc. And at my grandson's school the teachers and parents have to provide supplies kind of makes one wonder where this money is going to come from huh?
Well lessee just in CA alone taxpayers spend 23B a year providing services to illegal aliens. We could stop doing that and instead protect all the kids in the country while they are at school. That’s a convenient coincidence ain’t it?

Quote:
Do you have any idea what it would cost to have cops sitting in cars at schools? Who is supposed to pay for this? I find it peculiar that most of the people calling for these ridiculously expensive solutions are conservatives who claim that they are "fiscal conservatives"
As opposed to sitting around in a parking lot or Starbucks?
When I was in HS we had a full time deputy sheriff on campus. Don’t know if she could have stopped a mass shooting or not but the taxpayers were already paying for that expense.

Quote:
That is the generally given answer. check wiki for the details.
Generally speaking, though, these troops already have day jobs and are no help in this instance. The Well Trained Militia concept is actually a way to get automatic weapons out of the hands of the untrained public and to identify and monitor crazy people who want them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation..._United_States
What automatic weapons are in the hands of the untrained public? There are hardly any and most of them belong to gun dealers and collectors who are likely to be the most well trained gun owners in the public as most are former military or LE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
We absolutely did and don't let anyone say otherwise. ROE, combatant, non-combatant, close quarters fighting, all of it. And I have been retired almost 20 years from a combat arms MOS.
So then you DO know how to pick a shooter out of a crowd. Why did you say that was beyond you?

Quote:
But more likely it wouldn't even slow them down. Mass shooters would probably like the idea, it would make the whole thing more exciting like a first person shooter, not to mention - if it were an ex-student like Nikolas Cruz he would likely know who was and wasn't armed as would any kid attending the school. Banks with armed guards have been robbed for decades, the perpetrators simply learn the habits/patterns of the guards.

I think the only reason people are even entertaining the idea of arming teachers is because 1) they feel hopeless and want to believe that something will stop this -or 2) they will latch on to any solution that does not involve blaming the gun. And arming teachers does nothing to prevent another Las Vegas massacre, or the Sutherland Springs mass shooting, if we go down this road how many people do we arm before we start talking about limiting who can have access to these guns?
You mean FURTHER limiting access? You make it sound like there are no limits currently and that’s not true.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:41 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Everyone is different, but I bet you would change your mind if a shooter entered your class. I carry my gun everyday and would have no reservation doing so in a classroom.
This just says you do not care if you shoot an innocent bystander and I do not think that is exemplary in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates