Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 12:03 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Sure, I served as well. I carried a weapon when needed BUT, and I am sure this is with you as well, you did not carry a weapon at all times. You carried one when needed. We had Arms rooms where weapons were stored when not needed or if someplace where there was no arms rooms we had guards. I never felt "naked" not carrying a weapon.

Yeah, we had Shotguns (with a huge bayonet), M14's, M203's, M2's and my Armsroom even had an AK47 and a Thompson though those were not carried in the field.

After I got out I did not feel naked not having a gun. I have never needed a gun. I grew up with guns, served and have owned guns. I do not need a gun.

Ok truly being a Citizen of this country how would you feel if you couldn't legally have a Firearm?

My wife even though most her time is in a Office she is required to carry being a LEO and her other Job handles Large sums of cash. Before she got her Pistol I feared for her daily. Before this she worked with HIV and AIDs Patients every day and I worried about her then.

Thing is there is many unforeseen dangers in this world and I would rather have the tools to prevent having anything happen then not being able to have them.

brushrunner

Old 02-27-2018, 12:20 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Ok truly being a Citizen of this country how would you feel if you couldn't legally have a Firearm?
I am not sure. I used to be pro-gun when I was younger but now I have distanced myself from the pro-gun movement because I see nothing in the people that are pro-gun now that I saw with the people who owned guns when I was growing up. I am embarrassed by a lot of the pro-gun people honestly.
Quote:
My wife even though most her time is in a Office she is required to carry being a LEO and her other Job handles Large sums of cash. Before she got her Pistol I feared for her daily. Before this she worked with HIV and AIDs Patients every day and I worried about her then.

Thing is there is many unforeseen dangers in this world and I would rather have the tools to prevent having anything happen then not being able to have them.

brushrunner
But how many times have you NEEDED a gun to defend yourself? I mean really, outside of the service and at a range, hunting or a strip mine I have never carried a weapon. I have been in some pretty rough areas and around some pretty rough people and I still have never felt that I needed a firearm.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I am not sure. I used to be pro-gun when I was younger but now I have distanced myself from the pro-gun movement because I see nothing in the people that are pro-gun now that I saw with the people who owned guns when I was growing up. I am embarrassed by a lot of the pro-gun people honestly.

But how many times have you NEEDED a gun to defend yourself? I mean really, outside of the service and at a range, hunting or a strip mine I have never carried a weapon. I have been in some pretty rough areas and around some pretty rough people and I still have never felt that I needed a firearm.

Ok outside the Military in over 60 years once did my Ex take out an intruder into our house because I couldn't get the Police Department there. She shot him at 3 feet with a 20Ga. Shotgun.

brushrunner

Old 02-27-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Ok outside the Military in over 60 years once did my Ex take out an intruder into our house because I couldn't get the Police Department there. She shot him at 3 feet with a 20Ga. Shotgun.

brushrunner
For a job like hers, which sounds like it exposes her to more dangers than the vast majority of Americans, this is one time. Could she have left if she did not have a gun? Was the person there for her or just there to steal something?

Old 02-27-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
For a job like hers, which sounds like it exposes her to more dangers than the vast majority of Americans, this is one time. Could she have left if she did not have a gun? Was the person there for her or just there to steal something?

Ok first off I had a M16 Issued to me from the Armory 24/7 I slep with my Rifle, at the time it was part of me.

My wife is in a Locked Office geared for a Terrorist Attack, many Cameras and everyone is armed. She enjoys her work too much to leave.

The Guy that my Ex shot was drunk who knows why he came into our house, he sure didn't say.

brushrunner

Old 02-27-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Ok first off I had a M16 Issued to me from the Armory 24/7 I slep with my Rifle, at the time it was part of me.
Was this the entire time you were in?
Quote:

My wife is in a Locked Office geared for a Terrorist Attack, many Cameras and everyone is armed. She enjoys her work too much to leave.
I am not questioning your wife's vocation.
Quote:

The Guy that my Ex shot was drunk who knows why he came into our house, he sure didn't say.

brushrunner
Even though I am not saying she was wrong I am not sure that she could not have avoided the situation. The choice of a 20 gauge was a good choice IMHO.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:32 PM

Yes my Rifle was with me all the time I was in. Started out M14 went to M16 and if I didn't have it with me I had it locked up with my Lock it was mine. The Armory had the Number off of it and my Rank and Name.

brushrunner

Old 02-27-2018, 03:40 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I'm not apposed to this. Yet, what is wrong with trained teachers? There is no guarantee that even the hired/volunteer guards will save the day. If I had a child in school, I would prefer they be in a class where the teacher is armed and trained enough to protect a their classroom.
And where is this teacher's gun going to be kept? In a safe? In a locked drawer? Will it be loaded?

If there are no safety measures in place, then it only makes the classroom even more dangerous than it already is. And if there are safety measures, for example, a lockbox and keeping it unloaded, then how is the shooter going to be deterred anyway - by the time the teacher unlocks the safe, retrieves then gun, retrieves the ammunition, and loads the gun, the shooter could have already shot several and then left.

Plus, many people don't react properly under the stress of a life-and-death situation.

Also, do we want to have teacher brutality too? Isn't police brutality and the school-to-prison pipeline bad enough?

Finally, what do we say of teachers who molest/sexually abuse students? Do we want them to threaten their victims with guns too?

Old 02-27-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
And where is this teacher's gun going to be kept? In a safe? In a locked drawer? Will it be loaded?

If there are no safety measures in place, then it only makes the classroom even more dangerous than it already is. And if there are safety measures, for example, a lockbox and keeping it unloaded, then how is the shooter going to be deterred anyway - by the time the teacher unlocks the safe, retrieves then gun, retrieves the ammunition, and loads the gun, the shooter could have already shot several and then left.

Plus, many people don't react properly under the stress of a life-and-death situation.

Also, do we want to have teacher brutality too? Isn't police brutality and the school-to-prison pipeline bad enough?

Finally, what do we say of teachers who molest/sexually abuse students? Do we want them to threaten their victims with guns too?

Ok I know of schools that during Hunting Season the Kids will bring their Rifles into the school. The Teachers locks them up until it is time to go home. This has always been school policy because so many of the kids hunt.

There has never been as much as and accident in these schools.

Oh they also Ice Skate on the Pond during recess.

brushrunner

Old 02-27-2018, 04:12 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Ok I know of schools that during Hunting Season the Kids will bring their Rifles into the school. The Teachers locks them up until it is time to go home. This has always been school policy because so many of the kids hunt.

There has never been as much as and accident in these schools.

Oh they also Ice Skate on the Pond during recess.

brushrunner
What has that got to do with anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates