Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 07:57 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Actually a Pistol is way better than a AR15 in close quarters, because most time the shooter will want to shoulder the weapon. So an AR 15 is not made for Close Quarter shooting.

Most so called Assault Weapons are chambered .223. Most Pistols are bigger. An AR15 is Semi Automatic so is most Pistols.

There isn't any difference other than one has a Longer Barrel. I prefer semi-automatic in almost all situations to fully automatic as well.

brushrunner
I personally would almost always prefer to have an AR15 over a pistol. They are not the same. Sure in very close quarters the pistol may be OK but I prefer the 30 round magazine, low recoil, the ability to buttstroke (not the best weapon for it but good enough if needed) and the penetration.

If your weapon is an AR15 you use its advantages, you do not let the person with the pistol choose their advantages.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:02 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I personally would almost always prefer to have an AR15 over a pistol. They are not the same. Sure in very close quarters the pistol may be OK but I prefer the 30 round magazine, low recoil, the ability to buttstroke (not the best weapon for it but good enough if needed) and the penetration.

If your weapon is an AR15 you use its advantages, you do not let the person with the pistol choose their advantages.

Ok you bring up 30 round Magazine. You can't get High Capacity Magazines for other Weapons?

This sounds like it is not a Weapon Problem but added pieces. Lots of people are saying these Rifles are not for hunting. I beg to differ .308 Bushmaster is a Great hunting Rifle. I have to admit it is much easier to Customize over the older Rifles but put a Legal 10 Round Magazine on it and your good to go.

brushrunner

Old 02-27-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
You have generalized a LOT in this thread.

See this post as an example:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/51132960-post6.html

The funny thing is I have lived almost my entire life without carrying a weapon and never have I ever felt I needed one. When I was an Airborne, Air Assault qualified infantryman in the United States Army we only had our weapons as needed. For training, in the field, cleaning, etc...

I lived in the barracks for almost my entire time and even personal weapons were required to be kept in the arms room. I purchased a Mossberg shotgun that had a bayonet from some guy in my company. It stayed in the arms room until I got out. I never felt unsafe.

I do not think adding more guns to schools will keep anyone safer, I personally feel it will just introduce more risks. I see no reason for this at all. The murderer gets to pick the time and place of the incident. This is an advantage that will be almost impossible to counter. If they do not like something they just wait. For those that are suicidal knowing that there are more people walking around with guns may just embolden them to action so they can get the suicide by cop/rent-a-cop. To me your gun is a pacifier. It makes you feel more secure and enables you to go on with your day. I do these things without a pacifier and do not have problems. Your gun may be able to protect you in a small set of circumstances but it will not protect you from a lot of circumstances like being run over by a truck or hit in the back of the head with a brick. If I ever felt the need to act against someone and I knew or suspected they were armed with anything I would just change my actions to mitigate the risks.
Pacifier I tell you what here we carry, my wife carries and I sleep better at night knowing this. We went through CCW Training and not afraid to use if needed.

brushrunner

Old 02-27-2018, 10:24 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Not to mention hunters that shoot themselves or others or fall out of raised blinds.
If this weren’t a designated thread I would sworm you with improper police and military mishaps. They are just humans like the rest of us. Grow up.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:32 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
If this weren’t a designated thread I would sworm you with improper police and military mishaps. They are just humans like the rest of us. Grow up.
Swormed by the police? I shutter to think.
Cue the band:
"I don't want to grow up, I'm a Heckler & Koch Kid"

Old 02-27-2018, 10:49 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
It's clear that as long as America remains a gun culture more must be done to protect our children while they are in school. Lots of Ideas float around but there is one that is plain to see but is ignored. Ready?? Here goes...........

Create a new modern day Citizens Militia to fill the job of armed school guard against all threats.

Militia members can be volunteers who have been trained in the military so serve. There is a huge pool of discharged or retired ex-military members who would serve in a heart beat by simply being assigned to this task.

The details of this type of service could be worked out on a state by state basis with limited or no federal involvement. (less red tape)
Great. A bunch of badly-trained, self-important kooks wielding untold firepower, just itching to use it.

Nothing could possibly go wrong here.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Ok you bring up 30 round Magazine. You can't get High Capacity Magazines for other Weapons?
You can but I can get a 100rd drum mag for an AR15 as well, which I do not believe I have ever seen for a pistol.

Thing is though for those high capacity pistol magazines is if you are playing "good guy with a gun" you have to carry them every day, everywhere you go, while the bad guy gets to choose when he gets to "mag up".

I will admit that I am not a fan of the 100 rd mags. 40 would be my max. 30 rounds is very comfortable on the AR15 platform.
Quote:
This sounds like it is not a Weapon Problem but added pieces. Lots of people are saying these Rifles are not for hunting. I beg to differ .308 Bushmaster is a Great hunting Rifle. I have to admit it is much easier to Customize over the older Rifles but put a Legal 10 Round Magazine on it and your good to go.

brushrunner
.308 is a great round. In the Army my MBR was an M14 and it was great. But a day at the range could feel like you were in a fight the next day. We had 20 round mags for the M14. 30 Rounds were too heavy and bulky. 20 round mags were not light.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Pacifier I tell you what here we carry, my wife carries and I sleep better at night knowing this. We went through CCW Training and not afraid to use if needed.

brushrunner
Have you ever "needed" to use a gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
This is a reason against having militias in schools, not a reason for.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
You can but I can get a 100rd drum mag for an AR15 as well, which I do not believe I have ever seen for a pistol.

Thing is though for those high capacity pistol magazines is if you are playing "good guy with a gun" you have to carry them every day, everywhere you go, while the bad guy gets to choose when he gets to "mag up".

I will admit that I am not a fan of the 100 rd mags. 40 would be my max. 30 rounds is very comfortable on the AR15 platform.

.308 is a great round. In the Army my MBR was an M14 and it was great. But a day at the range could feel like you were in a fight the next day. We had 20 round mags for the M14. 30 Rounds were too heavy and bulky. 20 round mags were not light.

Like I say this is more a Add On problem than Weapon.

We started out with M14, Great rifle. Went to M16 over time a Great Rifle. we also carried .45Cal. Pistol and at times 12Ga. Shotgun.

Pendleton was a Great place to learn about weapons, when we left we was expected to use them if needed. If the Bad Guy was using His Weapon I was always Glad to have what I had, if I didn't have one I felt very naked.

brushrunner

Old 02-27-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Like I say this is more a Add On problem than Weapon.

We started out with M14, Great rifle. Went to M16 over time a Great Rifle. we also carried .45Cal. Pistol and at times 12Ga. Shotgun.

Pendleton was a Great place to learn about weapons, when we left we was expected to use them if needed. If the Bad Guy was using His Weapon I was always Glad to have what I had, if I didn't have one I felt very naked.

brushrunner
Sure, I served as well. I carried a weapon when needed BUT, and I am sure this is with you as well, you did not carry a weapon at all times. You carried one when needed. We had Arms rooms where weapons were stored when not needed or if someplace where there was no arms rooms we had guards. I never felt "naked" not carrying a weapon.

Yeah, we had Shotguns (with a huge bayonet), M14's, M203's, M2's and my Armsroom even had an AK47 and a Thompson though those were not carried in the field.

After I got out I did not feel naked not having a gun. I have never needed a gun. I grew up with guns, served and have owned guns. I do not need a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates