Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2018, 11:41 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
So, a shooter walks in a classroom and starts shooting? What is your plan to stop him?
You can't and neither can a teacher, a janitor or the lunch lady. If we arm teachers, that will be the first target of a shooter. Only in video games and comic books can you somehow prevail in a gunfight when someone gets the drop on you and is firing a semi-automatic weapon.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Your posts are becoming more pathetic nonsense. I hope you never need a gun and wish you had it, but if you do, I hope you remember I told you so before you become worm food? I’m curious, is your “bravery” seated in believing you go to a heaven upon death? If so, your belief makes as much sense as your survival plan.
And sir, your posts are predicated upon pure fantasy

Old 03-07-2018, 12:36 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,283 times
Quote:
So, a shooter walks in a classroom and starts shooting? What is your plan to stop him?
What is your plan?

Old 03-07-2018, 06:31 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,707 times
Years ago I remember earth quake drills. We have fire drills. Maybe our schools need drills for what to do with a mass shooting.

Maybe our schools should be configured for more emergency exits or safe rooms. A thought.

You can do everything in your power to be a safe driver. You plan, your careful, your car is top notch in safety. But all the plans in the world doesn't change a thing if you're tired, the weather is against you, or something else outside your control happens.

Shootings happen outside our control. They are a variable that isn't planned on. My thought is stay away from large well attended events that are out in the open.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Years ago I remember earth quake drills. We have fire drills. Maybe our schools need drills for what to do with a mass shooting.

Maybe our schools should be configured for more emergency exits or safe rooms. A thought.

You can do everything in your power to be a safe driver. You plan, your careful, your car is top notch in safety. But all the plans in the world doesn't change a thing if you're tired, the weather is against you, or something else outside your control happens.

Shootings happen outside our control. They are a variable that isn't planned on. My thought is stay away from large well attended events that are out in the open.
Then I guess you would also recommend staying away from schools, churches, theaters and shopping centers?

Old 03-07-2018, 07:36 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post

As you hint at, a mass shooting at a school is hard to plan for. The shooter could enter the school and go classroom to classroom, or pull the fire alarm and shoot out in the open after evacuation. Almost no single bit of planning will work for it.

However, many schools have "fake" announcements that alert teachers to shelter in place, which the teachers and often students have been trained at. The announcement might be that "There will be a faculty meeting tonight at 7 p.m. All teachers must attend." That would be the type of signal involved, and not one that students would know.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:51 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
What is your plan?
Allow teachers to be armed to defend the classroom and not be helpless victims.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And sir, your posts are predicated upon pure fantasy
So, sandy Brooke, Florida and other mass shootings are fantasies? Violent crimes are fantasies? The fantasy here is your crime free Utopia.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You can't and neither can a teacher, a janitor or the lunch lady. If we arm teachers, that will be the first target of a shooter. Only in video games and comic books can you somehow prevail in a gunfight when someone gets the drop on you and is firing a semi-automatic weapon.
Shooters typically go room to room. An armed teacher can be prepared once they hear shots fired. There are no guarantees a teacher won’t be surprised, but once shots are fired, armed teachers can get the drop on the shooter. Having classrooms be helpless is ridiculous.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:17 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,327 times
Not that many would volunteer. Many who did would be unsuitable. About 1% of citizens serve in the military. There aren't enough in the pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates