Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 07:07 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,193,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Yep had shoes....and boots had to carry the shoes in a bag......It may NOT have been 2 miles......I havent been back there since I was a kid. It was down Steere street around the mill pond thru town and up School Street.
When I had to walk in nasty weather (it wasn't very far, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 mile), my mother made me wear the dorkiest galoshes over my shoes. They were hard to put on so she made me put plastic bags over the shoes so they'd slide in better. I was mortified!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:13 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,874,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
When I had to walk in nasty weather (it wasn't very far, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 mile), my mother made me wear the dorkiest galoshes over my shoes. They were hard to put on so she made me put plastic bags over the shoes so they'd slide in better. I was mortified!
LOL I was a product of the 80s... I had Moon Boots (the ones that changed color in the changing temps to be spicific- I was cool)...and we had to put plastic shopping bags over our socks so we could slide our feet into the boots better! LOL I felt like such a dork...The funny thing is it snows A LOT here- so if you stepped into a huge snow pile and your boot got stuck your foot came right out of that boot and you were left to dig that sucker out of the snow! LOL OH and I had LEG WARMERS of every color... Why don't they make those? They are really a good thing- especially for little girls who wear skirts- they keep their little legs warm... I wish my DD had some... NOT THAT THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH FOOD...LOL... unless you accept the fact that she has little chicken legs.... LOL back on topic...

Old 09-10-2008, 07:21 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,193,703 times
I went to elementary school in the 70's, so I didn't get to have "cool" boots. By the 80's I was in junior high & high school, so I just chose to freeze my a** off rather than wear something that was warm but goofy!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:42 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,049,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I lived in the Bronx and we walked quite a distance to school and also back home for lunch,etc. It wasn't 2 mi more like 3/4mi. We had no car so we walked everywhere.
I'm also a Bronx kid who walked to school. We didn't go to the same schools, did we?

Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,545,777 times
Quote:
LOL, we must have been related, I hated those things and the plastic bags were so embarrassing!

Tonight is tuna casserole, hubby has been bugging me for awhile to make it, salad to go along with it.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:49 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,273,979 times
Not sure what's up for dinner yet. So what's new abou that, right?

I remember in Northern NY, when I was a kid, we had to wear dresses to school (well, the girls did, but the boys wore dress pants) but, since I had to walk about 8 blocks to school, mom made me wear wool pants under my skirts. It was SO dorky looking. Gawd, I hated that. Oh, and she used to make me wear these really ugly t-shirts that had cap sleeves on them, so if you wore anything that was sleeveless, the t-shirt showed. She did that to me till I rebelled in 6th or 7th grade. Now do you understand why I'm the way I am??!!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:51 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,862,732 times
Charley-St. Helena's in Parkchester.

Yep leggings under skirts, capped undershirts-yuk, galoshes-ugh, idiot mittens.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:55 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,667,263 times
You guys and gals are bringing back memories I had completely forgotten. I too walk to school from the 1st grade up. No snow but lots of rain. Standard gear was a rain suit. I had a mile in the first grade. I had a much worse obstacle to overcome that cold and snow. There was a very large & mean red rooster I had to pass by about 3 blocks from the school house and I usually hit the school yard on the run. You had to live two miles to get to ride a bus at that time. Only rainy after noons the teacher would break out newspaper and we were taught how to fold it into a rain hat.

Now for dinner. I'm clueless. Should have thought about it before eating fried chicken for breakfast. It was still good. I just love cold (or hot) fried chicken for breakfast. The cheesy pasta craving are gone after last nights pizza so I an scratch that. It's slim pickings in the fridge and freezer. I really need to go shopping but that's now going to happen in the nasty windy weather we are having at the moment. For the long range prediction it may be more Red Flannel Hash with a can of something green. And then again I'm still clueless.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:56 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,874,941 times
Quote:
I went to elementary school in the 70's, so I didn't get to have "cool" boots. By the 80's I was in junior high & high school, so I just chose to freeze my a** off rather than wear something that was warm but goofy!
LOL I was in 7th grade in the very early 90s... when jean shorts were cool with those sheer lace bottom leggins (that are back in style) and ballet flats... and I was a walker... in Rochester NY weather... with Negative Windchill... LOL I did the same thing... Froze my a$$ off because I was too cool LOL

but I wasn't too cool for hot chocolate when I got home... w/ extra marshmellows of course...

Old 09-10-2008, 07:57 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,049,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Charley-St. Helena's in Parkchester.

Yep leggings under skirts, capped undershirts-yuk, galoshes-ugh, idiot mittens.
Public Schools and then Evander Childs High School and Lehman College. I kept it all local until my Master's ... lol.

P.S. It's meat loaf night! WoooooHoooooo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.