Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 05:24 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,046,835 times

Advertisements

Well, being the big fish eater that I am (not), I wouldn't be that excited about it either. How is he as a cook in general? Was this just an off night?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:29 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Well, being the big fish eater that I am (not), I wouldn't be that excited about it either. How is he as a cook in general? Was this just an off night?
Thats a joke in our house..........I do 99% of the cooking. He made supper last month.....I think the first time in 6 years. It was delicous....a chicken and artichoke and mushroom and tomato dish that he used to make years ago.

He cooked the calamari last night because he wanted it Japanese style....I think he gets a little tired of the Italian style....and especially since it is often over fried and dried out....too crispy for him. He liked what he cooked last night and ate a lot of it....no left overs....I thought it was nasty!

I bet if his mother cooked it, I would have liked it. He oversimplify recipes.....he just used soy sauce
and a little sugar....it was too strong....I bet his mother would have used other ingredients to simmer it in....dashi, mirin, soy sauce diluted with a little water. She is a wonderful cook.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:07 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
No going out last night...weather turned out bad and decided to stay at home so we had hamburgers. The weather is looking wet all week so not sure if we'll get to try out that new restaurant any time soon. The roads between here and town have a tendency to get bad so don't like taking chances when we have food here. Guess it will be there for awhile anyhow. Ha! Tonight will be goulash. Good and filling without a lot of fuss. I'll make enough to freeze half of it for another dinner too.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:28 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
Today is one of my runnin' around days...Just got back from walking to the bus stop...I swear they make kids walk so far these days! I remember when the stop was right outside your front door! We are six houses away... I think that is a tad far for a five year old...especially when the snow and wind comes....brrrrr..... anyway got PreK drop off and pick up...Karate...and a PTA Meeting... I am thinking dinner is going to be quick and easy tonight... something the kids can grab and go before class... might do the Mother of all Cop Outs and make them Chicken Nuggets I will make hubby dinner after all the craziness settles... he will hold off until 8pm without complaining... I have that chicken breast I have been waiting on... I might pan fry it with some garlic, evoo, lemon juice, s & p... a salad... there is some zucchini waiting to be eaten... sounds like a plan...

Old 09-10-2008, 06:38 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Tonight was to be burgers on the grill but the wind is pretty bad right now. Could be enchiladas.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:56 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
I lived in the Bronx and we walked quite a distance to school and also back home for lunch,etc. It wasn't 2 mi more like 3/4mi. We had no car so we walked everywhere.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:59 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I know how old timers (me) tell of "when I was a kid"... but we really did walk about 2 miles to the school house and had to cross over the bridge near the dam at the end of the mill pond. That was in northern RI and the snow, ice and sub zero weather was extreme. The wind really ripped across the pond and hit us as we crossed the bridge. We moved there when I was in the 2nd grade.....I started in Canada where the temps went to 40 below.......NO Buses and we didnt have a car....everyone walked....(and I did start school at age 5). We even had to walk home for lunch so that was 4 trips a day! IT DIDNT HURT US A BIT! We had a good time; and there weren't any obese children.
UGH... we don't get to 40 below... but it gets nasty here...(we are ALMOST Canadian LOL- Rochester) not uphill both ways either LOL....I don't like her to walk down by herself... life is just not the same as it was when even I was a kid... (NOT THAT LONG AGO BTW) I was a walker too as a kid...BUT.. not for two miles though! HOLY CROW! I would have been in tears...in that COLD... talk about a migraine! LOL

Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,192,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I know how old timers (me) tell of "when I was a kid"... but we really did walk about 2 miles to the school house and had to cross over the bridge near the dam at the end of the mill pond. That was in northern RI and the snow, ice and sub zero weather was extreme. The wind really ripped across the pond and hit us as we crossed the bridge. We moved there when I was in the 2nd grade.....I started in Canada where the temps went to 40 below.......NO Buses and we didnt have a car....everyone walked....(and I did start school at age 5). We even had to walk home for lunch so that was 4 trips a day! IT DIDNT HURT US A BIT! We had a good time; and there weren't any obese children.

We did have a hot breakfast loaded with calories every morning. The school provided hot cocoa...we had to bring a mug from home. I guess the poor teacher was stuck with washing all those cocoa cups along with all the other extra chores that teachers do.....imagine keeping track of all those snow pants and mittens and hats.

But Elston, did you have shoes?

Anyway, if anyone is looking for an easy chicken breast recipe, I made Giada's chicken picatta on Sunday for DH birthday. It came out REALLY GOOD! I always get nervous when I make a new dish.

Recipes : Chicken Piccata : Food Network

The only things I changed were to add some chopped fresh spinach at the end, instead of parsley. And, instead of pouring the sauce over the chicken, I added a little bit of heavy cream and simmered it. I then tossed in thin spaghetti. It was a hit!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:02 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
I lived in the mountains and it was cold and snowy there too. Nothing like the east or midwest but still cold. We walked to school and back home--about 1 1/2 miles each way everyday. We had no buses and since my dad was our teacher he just walked along with us. We didn't know anything different and enjoyed our daily walks to and from school.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:04 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
But Elston, did you have shoes?

Anyway, if anyone is looking for an easy chicken breast recipe, I made Giada's chicken picatta on Sunday for DH birthday. It came out REALLY GOOD! I always get nervous when I make a new dish.

Recipes : Chicken Piccata : Food Network

The only things I changed were to add some chopped fresh spinach at the end, instead of parsley. And, instead of pouring the sauce over the chicken, I added a little bit of heavy cream and simmered it. I then tossed in thin spaghetti. It was a hit!
Yep had shoes....and boots had to carry the shoes in a bag......It may NOT have been 2 miles......I havent been back there since I was a kid. It was down Steere street around the mill pond thru town and up School Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.