Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 06:08 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,643,476 times

Advertisements

So, even though I already know that "reason" is not at work here, I'll take a stab at it:

Senator Obama's perspective on NCLB is less broken than Senator McCain's. Obama wishes to reform NCLB, to make it less "teach to the test" oriented, and to a greater degree than McCain. McCain wishes to expand on the lessons that have been learned from NCLB, and believes the lessons to have been positive. NCLB was and is a disaster, and neither candidate fully understands that, but Obama comes closer.

There are more in the education realm, but I'll stick to this one. If you disagree with it, then we have zero common ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 06:09 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,254,378 times
Wow...I am amazed at how "blinded" McCain supporters seem to be. All McCain does is try to tear down Obama, and it seems that his supporters operate the same way. I have yet to read many posts on here (if any) that discuss McCain's plans and policies.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:10 PM

703 posts, read 856,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
Wow...I am amazed at how "blinded" McCain supporters seem to be. All McCain does is try to tear down Obama, and it seems that his supporters operate the same way. I have yet to read many posts on here (if any) that discuss McCain's plans and policies.
A lot of them are beyond reasoning with at this point.

The closer we get to Tuesday, the more frantic and angry they seem to get.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:11 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,769,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez02403 View Post
Why don't you give us some intelligent reasons to support your candidate?

My reason for supporting Nader this year: I do not like either McCain or Obama. (I voted for a different candidate in the primaries). I live in Massachusetts. There is absolutely no way any candidate BUT Obama will win the state. (And obviously my vote does not matter in any national popular vote). Therefore, since I do not like McCain/Obama, I see no reason to vote for either of them. However, I still want to cast my vote for Nader because I want to exercise my fundamental right to vote, even if he has no chance in winning the election.

But, I guess somehow my reasoning is unintelligent.
Your reasoning is not unintelligent and don't let any of the hate mongers on here tell you otherwise. You have given your reasons and they make sense to you. That's all that matters. They may not be in agreement with others, but you cannot agree with either of the two major candidates, so you are exercising your other options. Good for you.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:13 PM

274 posts, read 606,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Your reasoning is not unintelligent and don't let any of the hate mongers on here tell you otherwise. You have given your reasons and they make sense to you. That's all that matters. They may not be in agreement with others, but you cannot agree with either of the two major candidates, so you are exercising your other options. Good for you.
Apparently it is because some voters think McCain actually has a chance in this state. Might I remind the country of the year Nixon ran for President???

Of course, if I lived in lets say, Ohio, I would probably vote for someone else.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
And within 24 hours the Media has given us more information about Joe 's life than they've given us about Barack's life in the past 18 months.
*laughs*

You've done a fine job learning to cut and paste.

You might want to work on general comprehension of assignments, though, and also there is a bit of lack of clarity in the gap between fiction and non-fiction in the work presented.

Good luck on future assignments.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:19 PM

31 posts, read 37,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
So, even though I already know that "reason" is not at work here, I'll take a stab at it:

Senator Obama's perspective on NCLB is less broken than Senator McCain's. Obama wishes to reform NCLB, to make it less "teach to the test" oriented, and to a greater degree than McCain. McCain wishes to expand on the lessons that have been learned from NCLB, and believes the lessons to have been positive. NCLB was and is a disaster, and neither candidate fully understands that, but Obama comes closer.

There are more in the education realm, but I'll stick to this one. If you disagree with it, then we have zero common ground.
I heard McCain say that he supports vouchers & charter schools, which is, to my understanding, another way of saying that he supports competition in education. I agree that NCLB as executed, has been a farce. But, I am in support of the idea that schools should have to compete for customers (i.e., parents), that all parents should have the means to choose the schools that best fit their students' needs (i.e., vouchers), and that teachers should never, ever get to rest on their laurels and assume employment is a given. I am curious as to what you see in Obama's proposals that will improve the educational outcome of our youth. Seriously

Old 11-01-2008, 06:20 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,769,738 times
OK - FOR THE LAST TIME - I PUT OUT THE STATEMENT SAYING I GOT THIS FROM MY EMAIL......

You Obamabots are so touchy
Poor saps

Old 11-01-2008, 06:20 PM

274 posts, read 606,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnoflogic View Post
I heard McCain say that he supports vouchers & charter schools, which is, to my understanding, another way of saying that he supports competition in education. I agree that NCLB as executed, has been a farce. But, I am in support of the idea that schools should have to compete for customers (i.e., parents), that all parents should have the means to choose the schools that best fit their students' needs (i.e., vouchers), and that teachers should never, ever get to rest on their laurels and assume employment is a given. I am curious as to what you see in Obama's proposals that will improve the educational outcome of our youth. Seriously
But I think all kids should be homeschooled. Therefore, school vouchers is a stupid concept.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnoflogic View Post
You are wrong - I am looking for intelligent debate of the issues. I am seeking to understand the rationale of Obama supporters. If there are intelligent reasons to support Obama, I would love to hear them.
There is a wide gap between the goal of seeking to understand the rationale of Obama supporters and looking for intelligent debate of the issues. Similarly, there is a wide gap between a willingness to share intelligent reasons and an ability to hear such. That we share what we believe to be an intelligent reason and you then discard it based on your own rationale does not make our reason any less intelligent - which you, in the few chances you have had to respond thus far, seem to ignore.

I look forward to seeing if things improve, but I shan't hold my breath, as the saying goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections