Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:08 PM

24,516 posts, read 33,352,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
Plus, why wouldn't you want all citizens to have the same rights as a heterosexual couple have?

If you're not gay...then you already have the rights. If you don't agree with gay life style, you don't have to be their friends. Still, how can you want to deny an individual the same rights concerning couple insurance, medical rights, death benefits/wills etc.
They already have the same rights.
Proposition 8 has nothing to do with rights. All the rights that California associates with marriage have already been guaranteed to homosexual couples through "domestic partnership" laws- laws that would be totally unaffected by Prop. 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 07:10 PM

274 posts, read 606,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What "unequal" treatment? Any man can marry any women as long as the fit the requirements (age, for one thing).
A homosexual man can marry a women, just like heterosexuals can, so it is equal treatment.
EXACTLY!!! This was the logic used to refute the lower court ruling in Loving v. Virginia that set precedent to overturn restrictions on gay marriage. I said look it up.

Aside from the gay marriage debate and for my earlier post: The question was to deliver ONE GOOD REASON to vote for Obama. If I was gay, and McCain did not support gay marriage, wouldn't that be a good reason to vote Obama????

Moreover, if I was a woman, and supported Roe v. Wade and McCain does not support that case, then wouldn't it be a good reason not to vote for McCain???

Old 11-01-2008, 07:22 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,644,201 times
Quote:
What "unequal" treatment? Any man can marry any women as long as they fit the requirements (age, for one thing).
A homosexual man can marry a women, just like heterosexuals can, so it is equal treatment.
And that's the unequal treatment.

He can only marry any woman and not any man.

He may have the same rights as any man, but he does not have the rights as every person, and no amount of sophistry is going to change that.

We do not talk about "The rights of man" and mean only the one gender.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:23 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,706,473 times
Quote:
What "unequal" treatment? Any man can marry any women as long as they fit the requirements (age, for one thing).
and the Most Idiotic Post of the Evening Award goes to...

Old 11-01-2008, 07:24 PM

I think he got confused when I told him he was right.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:24 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,637,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
and the Most Idiotic Post of the Evening Award goes to...
Politico - I may have strongly agreed with you in the past, but I applaud you for presenting the award for that comment.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:28 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,706,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Politico - I may have strongly agreed with you in the past, but I applaud you for presenting the award for that comment.
Ah well, thanks, Steve. Just calling 'em, as I see 'em.

But, I do believe you meant to say "disagreed" in your post, as we both know that we rarely agree.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:29 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,398,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez02403 View Post
Because he's not McCain.

btw, I'm voting independent this year because I cannot stand either of them, but if I had to choose between the two of them, it would come down to the "lesser of two evils".

Worst reason, ever.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:30 PM

Sigh! If you only read my other posts on this thread.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,160 times
I agree with hoarfrost and arthur, but... how much do you earn yearly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections