Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:45 AM

117 posts, read 169,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jencoo22 View Post
You had asked for a reason to vote for obama I would like to list a few for you:

1. He is positive and will talk to the people about what is actually going on in the government and keep us up to date.
You know, because being positive is so important. As long as he is smiling and filling my brain with empty promises of hope and change than I am completely fulfilled and feel I'm getting my vote's worth

As for keeping us informed? No, he doesn't. He keeps us informed on the problems with REPUBLICANS, not with Washington as a whole. Palin and McCain are the ones who addressed issues with ALL of Washington and are truly the ones I believe will actually take action in cleaning house.

Quote:
2. He has an open mind and listens to what others have to say without putting them down. Its very refreshing to see in a politician
Just like when he went out of his way to do a background check on Joe the Plumber just because the guy raised a mere question at him?

Or perhaps when Biden spoke on the guy who was questioning the candidates stance on gun ownership:

"I'll tell you what, if that's his baby than he needs help... I don't know that he's mentally qualified to own that gun."

You're right though, he didn't put that guy down at all.

Quote:
3. He is worried about the middle class and being a community organizer as I know many people put him down for this but he realizes what people struggle with everyday.
First of all, we have to clarify what is considered middle class. A LOT of people actually consider themselves middle class. This is one thing I learned in sociology, and it's true.

Quote:
4. Also he got to where he is today; being raised by his grandmother and single mother who died from cancer so he knows what it is like to work hard.
So you're saying he's more qualified because he was raised by his grandma and his mother raised him until she died? Do you know how common this is present day? I was raised by a single mother the majority of my life, that doesn't mean I am qualified to be president.

My cousins are raised by my grandparents and their parents are still alive, but so messed up on drugs that they don't see them anymore. They are doing good in school, but I still don't think they are qualified.

Quote:
5. He is such an amazing dad to his children and a great husband to his wife which shows a lot about his character and I'd love to see a man like that in charge of our country.
So McCain is a terrible husband and a terrible father? Palin, who has a huge family, is a terrible mother and wife? What about Biden? You seem extremely biased and like you hold this man on a Pedestal, not realizing how unstable it is, based on these fantasies you've allowed yourself to create about him. I'm not trying to put you down, but this is just completely ridiculous.

Come on now, McCain has adopted and had his own children. He is a strong family figure as is Palin. So this "argument" for Obama would be a very poor one at that.

Quote:
6. He knows more about how to modernize our country which is much needed. He also is very concerned about education and lowering college cost which means a lot to me personally.
One thing a lot of people fail to do is take advantage of the community colleges, which are significantly less expensive than universities or private colleges. I know that Florida has some sort of plan where if you spend your first two years in a Community College, you're guaranteed to get into a state university within the state, which is brilliant if you ask me.

As for private colleges, they will remain the same price.

Also, this shows and extreme involvement in government intervention into American business. That's what college is, a business. I just don't know what colleges will simple thing about this. Granted yes, I'd like to pay less too... but meh... -_-

As for education:
Quote:
John McCain believes American education must be worthy of the promise we make to our children and ourselves. He understands that we are a nation committed to equal opportunity, and there is no equal opportunity without equal access to excellent education.

No Child Left Behind has focused our attention on the realities of how students perform against a common standard. John McCain believes that we can no longer accept low standards for some students and high standards for others. In this age of honest reporting, we finally see what is happening to students who were previously invisible. While that is progress all its own, it compels us to seek and find solutions to the dismal facts before us.

If a school will not change, the students should be able to change schools. John McCain believes parents should be empowered with school choice to send their children to the school that can best educate them just as many members of Congress do with their own children. He finds it beyond hypocritical that many of those who would refuse to allow public school parents to choose their child's school would never agree to force their own children into a school that did not work or was unsafe. They can make another choice. John McCain believes that is a fundamental and essential right we should honor for all parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 02:45 AM

703 posts, read 860,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What is so "wonderful" about it?
Why can't jps-teacher just accept my views and beliefs like I accept his/hers?

He/she is doing the same thing on another thread... refusing to let another member post his/her views without jps questioning him/her over and over.

But maybe you can answer the question since you stepped in... what "rights" do heterosexuals have that homosexuals don't?
So they are not allowed to express their opinion in multiple threads?

Would you like me to do a search on your name and hold you to the same standard?

I almost always agree with jps-teacher. I find him (or her?) to be extremely intelligent and usually in line with my own beliefs. I also believe that teachers are incredible people. Sorry if that bugs you.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:12 AM

25,903 posts, read 20,909,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreAristotle View Post
The bottom 40% of American don't even pay taxes. :\
Everyone pays taxes, unless there is some card or something that eliminates sales tax, etc. for those earning less than a certain amount that I am not aware of?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 AM

64 posts, read 180,925 times
Quote:
You know, because being positive is so important. As long as he is smiling and filling my brain with empty promises of hope and change than I am completely fulfilled and feel I'm getting my vote's worth

As for keeping us informed? No, he doesn't. He keeps us informed on the problems with REPUBLICANS, not with Washington as a whole. Palin and McCain are the ones who addressed issues with ALL of Washington and are truly the ones I believe will actually take action in cleaning house.

Just like when he went out of his way to do a background check on Joe the Plumber just because the guy raised a mere question at him?

Or perhaps when Biden spoke on the guy who was questioning the candidates stance on gun ownership:

"I'll tell you what, if that's his baby than he needs help... I don't know that he's mentally qualified to own that gun."

You're right though, he didn't put that guy down at all.

First of all, we have to clarify what is considered middle class. A LOT of people actually consider themselves middle class. This is one thing I learned in sociology, and it's true.

So you're saying he's more qualified because he was raised by his grandma and his mother raised him until she died? Do you know how common this is present day? I was raised by a single mother the majority of my life, that doesn't mean I am qualified to be president.

My cousins are raised by my grandparents and their parents are still alive, but so messed up on drugs that they don't see them anymore. They are doing good in school, but I still don't think they are qualified.

So McCain is a terrible husband and a terrible father? Palin, who has a huge family, is a terrible mother and wife? What about Biden? You seem extremely biased and like you hold this man on a Pedestal, not realizing how unstable it is, based on these fantasies you've allowed yourself to create about him. I'm not trying to put you down, but this is just completely ridiculous.

Come on now, McCain has adopted and had his own children. He is a strong family figure as is Palin. So this "argument" for Obama would be a very poor one at that.

One thing a lot of people fail to do is take advantage of the community colleges, which are significantly less expensive than universities or private colleges. I know that Florida has some sort of plan where if you spend your first two years in a Community College, you're guaranteed to get into a state university within the state, which is brilliant if you ask me.

As for private colleges, they will remain the same price.

Also, this shows and extreme involvement in government intervention into American business. That's what college is, a business. I just don't know what colleges will simple thing about this. Granted yes, I'd like to pay less too... but meh... -_-

As for education:

Actually I am attending a community college now and graduate from it this month which I will then be attending a state school...

Old 11-03-2008, 09:27 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,661,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

Equal is defined as having the right to marry ANY consenting adult, not merely those permitted by YOUR religion. Equal is defined as having the right to marry the consenting adult person you LOVE.

That's all your bill does is prevent two people who love each other from marrying.

I can only hope that someday you personally know and receive the kind of discrimination that you are practicing.

You seem to be unable to accept facts, so it would be useless to continue. You can fill your post with all the pretty colors you want but it means nothing.

I am voting YES on prop 8 for the reasons I stated and your distortions and inaccuracies are not helping you case.[/quote]

What facts? What inaccuracies? (I grant that you think my equivalences are distortions, though (oddly enough) I disagree.

You asked Varangian "what "rights" do heterosexuals have that homosexuals don't?"

Funny, I could swear I answered that one in red and black.

I know you're complaining about the pretty colors, but I was trying to find one you could see. Studies have shown that people react differently to different colors. I'm sorry it makes you feel blue after you have red it.

So, simple black? This is the right that YOU choose to deny homosexuals:

Equal is defined as having the right to marry ANY consenting adult, not merely those permitted by YOUR religion. Equal is defined as having the right to marry the consenting adult person you LOVE.

Homosexuals are denied the right to marry the person of their choice, whether for money or golddigging or companionship or merger of interests or all of the other reasons people marry - many of which have little to do with children.

There are legal benefits that come at the federal level with being married that are denied, as well, by the bogus Defense of Marriage Act. I realize that's beyond the scope of the bill in question, but it's a partial answer to your question of rights.

If you cannot see how gays are, in most places, denied the ability and comfort of casually being together in public because they fear being abused for their love - the same way multi-racial couples used to in most places and still do in some - then you are blind.

*shrugs*

If by facts, you mean "My religious beliefs override my belief that the country should not make decisions taking one religion's side over another," then you're right. I don't accept that fact.

If that's not what you mean, then I have no idea what fact it is that you think I am not accepting.

And your claim that you are not discriminating is self-serving bull-oney.

Last edited by jps-teacher; 11-03-2008 at 09:38 AM..

Old 11-03-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
As for education:
Quote:
John McCain believes American education must be worthy of the promise we make to our children and ourselves. He understands that we are a nation committed to equal opportunity, and there is no equal opportunity without equal access to excellent education.

No Child Left Behind has focused our attention on the realities of how students perform against a common standard. John McCain believes that we can no longer accept low standards for some students and high standards for others. In this age of honest reporting, we finally see what is happening to students who were previously invisible. While that is progress all its own, it compels us to seek and find solutions to the dismal facts before us.
And there, if I had no other reason, is a solid reason for voting for Barack Obama.

I agree with the first passage and the last. The problem is that there is a complete disconnect with those passages and the bolded black lines.

NCLB is a failed plan based on a set of lies (evidence if you want it) coming out of Houston, and passed with bi-partisan support predicated on promised by President Bush that he failed to keep almost immediately upon the bill's passage (with evidence, again, if you want it).

Beyond that, 1) There is not honest reporting. 2) There is not a "common standard." 3) At the same time that he recognizes that education is one part of equal opportunity, he fails to see that it is not the only one, and that many other parts of his approach to government preclude that equal opportunity.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 AM

78 posts, read 98,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnoflogic View Post
On this site and many others, I have challenged Obama supporters to produce arguments in support of their candidate and his policies. To no surprise, I have encountered very little in the way of rational argument, but instead a lot of emotional ranting, or clear evidence that the responder has not done very much research, and cannot in fact defend their choice. So, let's hear it Obama supporters - why should I vote for him?
Because he will go after the person that caused so many americans to die? and in doing so uphold the stance that our current president spent so much time on TV claiming was the reason we were sending troops overseas to begin with?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varangian View Post

Would you like me to do a search on your name and hold you to the same standard?

I almost always agree with jps-teacher. I find him (or her?) to be extremely intelligent and usually in line with my own beliefs. I also believe that teachers are incredible people. Sorry if that bugs you.
It's not that I'm not allowed to express my opinion. It's that I'm not allowed to repeatedly question hypocrisy and lies when they are being uttered repeatedly.

And certainly not in many colors. Rainbows are teh gay, don'tcha know!

Old 11-03-2008, 01:44 PM

24,602 posts, read 33,561,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varangian View Post

Of course they are allowed to. Just as I am. He/she seems to be unwilling to accept my views and beliefs.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:55 PM

24,602 posts, read 33,561,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
You seem to be unable to accept facts, so it would be useless to continue. You can fill your post with all the pretty colors you want but it means nothing.

I am voting YES on prop 8 for the reasons I stated and your distortions and inaccuracies are not helping you case.
What facts? What inaccuracies? (I grant that you think my equivalences are distortions, though (oddly enough) I disagree.

You asked Varangian "what "rights" do heterosexuals have that homosexuals don't?"

Funny, I could swear I answered that one in red and black.

I know you're complaining about the pretty colors, but I was trying to find one you could see. Studies have shown that people react differently to different colors. I'm sorry it makes you feel blue after you have red it.

So, simple black? This is the right that YOU choose to deny homosexuals:

Homosexuals are denied the right to marry the person of their choice, whether for money or golddigging or companionship or merger of interests or all of the other reasons people marry - many of which have little to do with children.

There are legal benefits that come at the federal level with being married that are denied, as well, by the bogus Defense of Marriage Act. I realize that's beyond the scope of the bill in question, but it's a partial answer to your question of rights.

If you cannot see how gays are, in most places, denied the ability and comfort of casually being together in public because they fear being abused for their love - the same way multi-racial couples used to in most places and still do in some - then you are blind.

*shrugs*

If by facts, you mean "My religious beliefs override my belief that the country should not make decisions taking one religion's side over another," then you're right. I don't accept that fact.

If that's not what you mean, then I have no idea what fact it is that you think I am not accepting.

And your claim that you are not discriminating is self-serving bull-oney.
[/quote]

Marriage is not a "right" it is a privilege, just like getting a driver's license.

This is going nowhere... I think you just want to argue. One of your distortions is comparing homosexuals to those of another race or to women. Homosexuals are not a race so comparing them to blacks is ridiculous.

I will state for the last time... I am voting YES on prop 8 because it will reinstall the people's will as expressed by the passage of prop 22 in 2000 by 61% of California voters.

Prop 8 does not in any way diminish the legal protections or status already granted to same-sex couples.

As California Supreme Court Justice Carol Corrigan wrote in her dissenting opinion: "Domestic partnerships and marriages have the same legal standing, granting both heterosexual and homosexual couples a societal recognition of their lifelong commitment."

Prop 8 has nothing to do with rights. All the rights that California associates with marriage has already been granted to homosexual couples through "domestic partnership" laws- laws that would be unaffected by prop 8.

I hope I have explained it thoroughly and if not, I probably won't be able to so I won't try anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections