Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:59 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,444,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Here's the difference: Say what you want about Bush. I think he was a horrible president, but he came off as likeable, friendly, kinda folksy, and a lot of people liked that. He also didn't have any personal baggage, except for his alcoholism back in the day. Gingrich has absolutely NO qualities htat make him likeable in any way whatsoever. He was not well liked in the 90s, is a serial adulterer and is clearly erratic. The guy's crazy. Americans don't like crazy. We like stable people--or people who at least appear to be stable.

Put it this way. If Romney gets the nomination, I might sit out the election or go third party. If Gingrich gets the nod, I'll be voting for Obama. Hell, I might even volunteer for his campaign just to make extra sure that Gingrich doesn't get in.
What makes you think Newt wasn't liked in the 90's? On what do you base that opinion? That isn't to say that he didn't have some enemies. I doubt any politician doesn't have a few enemies. But, by-and-large, Newt was liked. Otherwise, he would not have been given the Speakership.

Who gives a damn about his personal life? How many people do you know that are divorced? Since when has this become important to Democrats?

This country is in very deep trouble, because of Obama. I'm looking for political savvy, and for someone who knows how an economy works, and knows the proper roll of government. Newt does, and so does Rick Santorum, whom I also like, and Herman Cain, who, sadly, dropped out.

Newt is not "crazy"

Any one of the candidates currently running would be better than Obama.

To say that if Newt were the Republican nominee you would vote for Obama shows that you are totally clueless about the issues we face and the postition that Obama has put this country in.

A vote for Obama is a vote to complete the destruction of America. Is that what you want?

I seriously question the intelligence of anyone who makes such a vow. That would be suicide for America.

I think you'd better re-think what our current position is. I don't think you realize what we are facing as a nation. We are in deep, deep trouble, and it has been Obama and his policies that have done this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 05:20 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,521,222 times
Quote:
What makes you think Newt wasn't liked in the 90's? On what do you base that opinion? That isn't to say that he didn't have some enemies. I doubt any politician doesn't have a few enemies. But, by-and-large, Newt was liked. Otherwise, he would not have been given the Speakership.
Nope he was not liked. I can't begin to tell you the amount of polls during the mid nineties that showed high disapproval for Gingrich. And four years later he was kicked out of the speaker's chair himself

Quote:
Who gives a damn about his personal life? How many people do you know that are divorced? Since when has this become important to Democrats?
I might ask the same of you. Since when does infedelity NOT matter to Christians? Oh that's right--personal lives only matter when it's DEMOCRATS involved. Any man who would run out on his wife for another woman is scum and isn't worthy of any respect. Wouldn't you agree? And yes, I did find Clinton's behavior horrible.

Quote:
Says you. But then, your entire worldview is shaped by a hatred of the president.

Quote:
A vote for Obama is a vote to complete the destruction of America. Is that what you want?
Of course not! What kind of question is that? Why would I want the destruction of my country? And no, one man cannot destroy a nation of 300 million people. Great countries rise and fall over time. One 4-8 year stint by one branch of the federal government does not destroy a country.

Quote:
I seriously question the intelligence of anyone who makes such a vow. That would be suicide for America.

I think you'd better re-think what our current position is. I don't think you realize what we are facing as a nation. We are in deep, deep trouble, and it has been Obama and his policies that have done this
And I question the intelligence of a person who can trace all of the country's problems to one man. The problems that face America are many and complex, began before Obama (and in some cases, before Bush). So to blame his policies for everything that's wrong in this country is stupid. Simply stupid.

I recommend you get out of your little Fox News/Talk Radio/Tea Party bubble and get some sense. You won't, but whatever.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:22 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,401,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
We deserved what we got with Bush and if we are dumb enough to elect a Gingrich, we would deserve what that would do to us as well.
I get what you're saying...but, I imagine it would be a very close election, with a huge section of Americans either voting Dem, voting third-party/write-in, or staying home. And I wouldn't wish Gingrich as President on anyone, not even his supporters. So, I disagree.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,330,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

This country is in very deep trouble, because of Obama. I'm looking for political savvy, and for someone who knows how an economy works, and knows the proper roll of government. Newt does, and so does Rick Santorum, whom I also like, and Herman Cain, who, sadly, dropped out.

Newt is not "crazy"

To say that if Newt were the Republican nominee you would vote for Obama shows that you are totally clueless about the issues we face and the postition that Obama has put this country in.

I think you'd better re-think what our current position is. I don't think you realize what we are facing as a nation. We are in deep, deep trouble, and it has been Obama and his policies that have done this.
Newt, is that you?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:57 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,802,797 times
Quote:
Of course not! What kind of question is that? Why would I want the destruction of my country? And no, one man cannot destroy a nation of 300 million people. Great countries rise and fall over time. One 4-8 year stint by one branch of the federal government does not destroy a country.
Warning. I am about to be facetious. I do not actually have a relevant point here, just pointing out something kinda obvious.

Yes one man can destroy this entire nation of 300 million people. It's as simple as launching a full nuclear strike on both Russia and China simultaneously. The counter-strike would leave turn the USA into a giant radioactive wasteland.

No, I don't think it's actually going to happen. But the point is that technically Barack Obama could single-handedly destroy the USA very quickly. He wouldn't need four years to do it.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
And I question the intelligence of a person who can trace all of the country's problems to one man. The problems that face America are many and complex, began before Obama (and in some cases, before Bush). So to blame his policies for everything that's wrong in this country is stupid. Simply stupid.
I completely disagree with this and would like to be the voice of reason here.

Can't we all just get along and place the blame where it rightfully belongs? It's all Tom Cruise's fault. He did it. We wouldn't have any problems at all in America or in the world if it weren't for Tom Cruise. Stupid Tom!

That is all.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:01 PM

9,700 posts, read 5,153,108 times
The difference between GWB and Gingrich is that the Republican establishment actually liked Bush. Does Gingrich have even one member of Congress that's backing him?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy
Ever since one Newton LeRoy Gingrich tried to impeach President Clinton over it I expect. And boy did LeRoy have to dig for it there! All he could come up with was perjury since you'd never be able to impeach a standing president over adultery and nothing else. Lucky break for Newtie that Willie panicked and lied about it when pressed. What would Newtie have done if Bill hadn't lied though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy
Newt is not "crazy"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Newt, is that you?
That bit alone should answer your question. Yes, obviously it is Newtie himself. So kind of him to drop in on us!

Hi Newt! How are you and the third lady doing?

Old 01-27-2012, 09:07 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,636,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Not satisfied, the Democrats are still after him, and are making every effort to slander his name in any way they can.
We don't have to go after him as Romney is doing it quite well.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:16 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,697,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Rubio is very adept at saying whatever the people he is talking to, want to hear. He abused his power in the Fla Legislature, he used the TParty to get to the Senate and he will use his fellow Hispanics to go on to high power positions where he can take advantage for himself. He is all about Marco Rubio, nothing else. He fits right into the (I took out the letters GOP because I think they are all the same ) DC establishment.
I agree 100 %
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections