Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:20 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,864,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Still on Bush?

Against him in 2000 was Al Gore.
Against him in 2004 was John Kerry.

Maybe if democrats had voted better people in to take on Bush, he wouldn't have won.
Gore did win 2000, with Jeb's florida magically putting Bush in the winner's seat, but 2004 is a good example as Dean was well on his way to handedly beating Bush, but from the dem implosion, having no real #2 to lead the pack, and just dealing with Kerry cost them the election.
We are seeing that now with the R's implosion, complete decisiveness, many clearly against Romney and others Newt, the GOP is going to lose because of their party crashing down on itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,051,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
2.) Anyone who remembers him from the 90's will have a hard time voting for him.
That's the only reason you/GOP needs.

Anyone who became eligible to vote in the late '80's-mid '90's remembers Newt Gingrich. That's a lot of us....

Old 01-27-2012, 01:31 AM

29,264 posts, read 22,582,716 times
The Democrats are concerned about any Repub nominee.
The majority of them are taking nothing for granted. That's why you don't see any phony displays much here.
But do not take the lack of posing and bragging as fear- the Dermocrats have already had their fights over Obama's abilities and performance. Those differences went on for over 18 months, starting in late 2009. Now, majority has quiet confidence in their man.

The Republicans are just now going through the same struggles the Dems underwent earlier. I can't say why it took them so long- maybe Sarah Palin kept too many of them distracted, or maybe too few realized that only Mitt Romney was putting together a 50 state strategy in place; I dunno.

Whatever is happening with the conservatives, the Dems are not going to get in the middle of it. But once the nominee is decided, it will be another story. They believe enough of the folks who voted for Obama once will do so again to win him a second term against any one of the current Republican field.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:37 AM

12,685 posts, read 6,783,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Gore did win 2000, with Jeb's florida magically putting Bush in the winner's seat, but 2004 is a good example as Dean was well on his way to handedly beating Bush, but from the dem implosion, having no real #2 to lead the pack, and just dealing with Kerry cost them the election.
We are seeing that now with the R's implosion, complete decisiveness, many clearly against Romney and others Newt, the GOP is going to lose because of their party crashing down on itself.
When you demand a recount only in the counties you won, your entire Florida recount is a scam. Democrats can whine about that travesty of a recount till doomsday, but the fact remains that they were trying to steal Florida by cheating and padding their numbers rather than making it a 100% legit and statewide recount.

It's kinda pissing me off that Ron Paul gets ignored in the process, but the Romney vs Gingrich feud may shape up much like Hillary vs Barack in 2008. The 2008 election was won before the general election even got started and it was won in the Democrat primaries. Possibly you are right, but a long drawn out fight in the Repug primaries could actually benefit them more than it hurts them.

That alternate possibility only works out for the GOP if Romney or Paul wins out of course. Newt is so flawed his scandals have scandals. He has zero chance in the GE.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
They believe enough of the folks who voted for Obama once will do so again to win him a second term against any one of the current Republican field.
Obama has lost the youth vote this time around. That is WHAT put him over
the top last election. I'm betting he's a one term Pres.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:13 AM

29,264 posts, read 22,582,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Obama has lost the youth vote this time around. That is WHAT put him over
the top last election. I'm betting he's a one term Pres.
No. The youth vote was certainly a big part of his victory, but the women voters counted for even more. And the undecided voters of all ages and genders counted for even more than the women.

They all added up as the momentum increased.

There's no doubt that this election will be closer. But at this moment, I don't think anyone can say with any accuracy how any of these groups will swing, or if they will swing at all, or how much will occur. Right now, the only group that seems to be close to as they were in 2008 are the female voters.

Obama has lost very few of the committed young volunteers who did so much of the early groundwork that helped him early on. Of course, they all will be 4 years older, and their networking may have changed as they aged, but the same skills they brought to the '08 campaign are still there.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No. The youth vote was certainly a big part of his victory, but the women voters counted for even more. And the undecided voters of all ages and genders counted for even more than the women.

They all added up as the momentum increased.

There's no doubt that this election will be closer. But at this moment, I don't think anyone can say with any accuracy how any of these groups will swing, or if they will swing at all, or how much will occur. Right now, the only group that seems to be close to as they were in 2008 are the female voters.

Obama has lost very few of the committed young volunteers who did so much of the early groundwork that helped him early on. Of course, they all will be 4 years older, and their networking may have changed as they aged, but the same skills they brought to the '08 campaign are still there.
Women voters? Maybe a No Sarah Palin/
Yes Hillary. I'm telling you - Hillary is not seen the
same way she was back then. She has become
hawkish. The direction Obama is taking this campaign: us/them is going to fail.
He's been a terribly disappointment for those that voted for him.
I am not one of those folks (that voted for him),
but I know MANY. Libertarians tend to hang out with
more Dems

Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,972,711 times
it is very likely that the republican nominee could be the next president-so the republicans better think about their choice long and hard before they vote. here are 2 different articles on newt that point out that newt would be the most likely candidate to take us to war (besides obama, that is):

Marco Rubio vs. Rand Paul » Patrick J. Buchanan - Official Website

i have to say that personally i am very disappointed with marco rubio. i have seen him speak personally, and found him to be a dynamic speaker-but his position seems to disagree with his rising oratory.

the second on newt's backing:

http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2...ng-of-america/

it is always important to follow the money backing the candidate-and ask WHY are they backing the candidate with huge sums of money.

after reading these articles, can you really say that newt will be looking out for america first?

Last edited by floridasandy; 01-27-2012 at 04:02 AM..

Old 01-27-2012, 04:32 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,926,942 times
I think the Dems are more worried that he won't.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:38 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,972,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think the Dems are more worried that he won't.
probably true.

let's face it, though, the democratic party should have plenty to be worried about with their own warmonger in chief dragging this country down economically.

hopefully, the republicans will think before they elect a "mistake".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections