Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:39 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,952,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it is very likely that the republican nominee could be the next president-so the republicans better think about their choice long and hard before they vote. here are 2 different articles on newt that point out that newt would be the most likely candidate to take us to war (besides obama, that is):

Marco Rubio vs. Rand Paul » Patrick J. Buchanan - Official Website

i have to say that personally i am very disappointed with marco rubio. i have seen him speak personally, and found him to be a dynamic speaker-but his position seems to disagree with his rising oratory.

the second on newt's backing:

Adelson, Gingrich, and the Selling of America by Justin Raimondo -- Antiwar.com

it is always important to follow the money backing the candidate-and ask WHY are they backing the candidate with huge sums of money.

after reading these articles, can you really say that newt will be looking out for america first?
Rubio is very adept at saying whatever the people he is talking to, want to hear. He abused his power in the Fla Legislature, he used the TParty to get to the Senate and he will use his fellow Hispanics to go on to high power positions where he can take advantage for himself. He is all about Marco Rubio, nothing else. He fits right into the GOP DC establishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 04:44 AM

12,685 posts, read 6,802,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Rubio is very adept at saying whatever the people he is talking to, want to hear. He abused his power in the Fla Legislature, he used the TParty to get to the Senate and he will use his fellow Hispanics to go on to high power positions where he can take advantage for himself. He is all about Marco Rubio, nothing else. He fits right into the GOP DC establishment.
So you're saying he's a typical politician. I can't say I'm extremely familiar with him, but what you say describes any politician in America with very rare exceptions. Keep hearing his name tossed around as a VP candidate for whoever runs, but I don't really know enough about him to say if that's a good idea.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:45 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
just as obama does.

we need to get off of this democrat/republican "bad" spin of generalization that all of america is caught up in--and just concentrate on trying to elect a decent sincere individual who will put americans first for a change.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:48 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,952,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
just as obama does.

we need to get off of this democrat/republican "bad" spin of generalization that all of america is caught up in--and just concentrate on trying to elect a decent sincere individual who will put americans first for a change.
They all pander and lie. It's just that right now, fewer Dems are so inclined. That is not always the case.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:24 AM

59,543 posts, read 27,857,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
First off I'm no Democrat. I'm sorta-right leaning Independent/former Republican.

If Gingrich gets the nomination the GOP is screwed. Here's the problems:
1.) The most conservative Americans will refuse to vote for Newt because of his many affairs and divorces. His propensity and skill at lying will also keep them home or voting 3rd party on election day.
2.) Anyone who remembers him from the 90's will have a hard time voting for him.
3.) Democrats and left-leaning independents remember Newtie and they hated him with a passion rarely seen from them. Left-leaning independents and Democrats that are a tad lazy about voting will turn out for sure to stop Newt Gingrich from becoming the President of the United States.
4.) A lot of Independent folks will just vote for a 3rd party rather than Newt Gingrich. I'm one of those. If it's a choice between Gingrich and Obama, I'll vote for a third party. Probably Libertarian. And I'm a "Anyone But Obama" guy. I just can't bring myself to vote for Newt Gingrich. It's just asking too much. I honestly thought it was a bad joke when he announced he was running. I never dreamed he could be the frontrunner.
5.) The damage is probably already done, but the GOP looks mind-mindbogglingly stupid chasing after a lecherous adulterous egotistical blowhard as though he was the bestest prize pony candidate ever for "the party of family values."

Right now, Gingrich is the front-runner. Ordinarily, this would give him a boost in head to head polling against Obama. It isn't. He is loses every head to head poll vs Obama ever taken. He's down by 11% in that category right now. Romney has remained locked in a virtual tie with Obama forever and still is. (Paul is the next closest after Romney.) There is a reason this poll result is so consistent. Newt would need a miracle to win the general election.
I couldn't get any further then this, "The most conservative Americans will refuse to vote for Newt because of his many affairs and divorces."

He carried SC which is very much "christian". The exit polls found they accepts his being human and his redemption.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,468,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I couldn't get any further then this, "The most conservative Americans will refuse to vote for Newt because of his many affairs and divorces."

He carried SC which is very much "christian". The exit polls found they accepts his being human and his redemption.
Yes, he seems to have accomplished what Nixon couldn't. The "New Newt". What a bunch of balderdash!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:44 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,041,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Obama has lost the youth vote this time around. That is WHAT put him over
the top last election. I'm betting he's a one term Pres.

Judging from the enthusiastic reception he received this morning at the University of Michigan, that's a false assumption. Wanna make a $10,000
Romney kind of bet?

Old 01-27-2012, 09:17 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,062,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Judging from the enthusiastic reception he received this morning at the University of Michigan, that's a false assumption. Wanna make a $10,000
Romney kind of bet?
Make it $20,000

Let's face it, Obama's "youth" support this time round is
anything but spontaneous....

Old 01-27-2012, 10:08 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,242,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Bob Done on Newt:

"In my run for the presidency in 1996 the Democrats greeted me with a number of negative TV ads and in every one of them Newt was in the ad," he wrote. Dole, who waged an unsuccessful bid for the presidency against President Clinton and was relentlessly attacked for his association with the former House speaker," Dole continued. "He was very unpopular and I am not only certain that this did not help me, but that it also cost House seats that year."
Read more: If ties weren't chilly before, Gingrich, Dole put relationship on ice - Fox News
This is no different than the attack on Nancy Pelosi last year that the GOP employed to win back the House and several seats in the Senate. Attacking the Speaker of the House is fair game in politics. Apparently, it's very effective.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,242,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Romney kind of bet?
Liberal Michigan rallied for Obama? You don't say! I'm surprised I tell ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections