Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,335,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know what? It's really not ironic in the slightest. There is nothing much more important to the average Mormon than family. To us, marital infidelity is considered one of the worst sins a person can commit.

If you were a Mormon, it wouldn't surprise you in the slightest.
Well if that's the case, this is a big problem. The Republican Party is a southern party before it's anything else, and he needs strong southern support to win the general election.

I don't know what's so bad about being a Mormon to southern voters (all Christian faiths are frauds to me....don't see why Latter Day Saints should be singled out for ridicule), but they need to get over it if they want to oust Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,324,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I wonder...

Why are Christians hypocrites when they vote for adulterer Gingrich, but if they vote for abortion Democrats, they are OK?
If you are a staunch anti-abortionist and you vote for a pro choice candidate, you are a a hypocrite.

I don't know anyone like that, but good job at deflecting and hijacking the thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:03 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,335,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
That sounded wrong. I didn't mean to say it like that. What I was trying to say was that it's ironic that these evangelicals don't like him because he is a Mormon and because they are so big on their religion and "family values," yet the one they don't like because of religion has the strongest "family values" of them all.

I apologize if I offended you or any other Mormon.

I'm a big Romney supporter.

I don't particularly like being "discriminated against" for being Agnostic, so I understand what it's like to have others dislike your religious beliefs (or, in my case, the lack thereof).

What I find shocking is Christians discriminating against other Christians. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with such hatred from holier-than-thou Catholic and mainstream Protestant Christians who think you aren't Christian at all.
Whaaaaat? You mean bigotry actually exists on the right? Wow, that's a revelation.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:06 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,542,456 times
Romney should convert to Christianity. Then he will be anointed the GOP nominee. That's all he needs to do. Reject Mormonism if you want to be president.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:06 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,515,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If you are a staunch anti-abortionist and you vote for a pro choice candidate, you are a a hypocrite.

I don't know anyone like that, but good job at deflecting and hijacking the thread
Plenty of "pro-life" people vote for "pro-choice" candidates.

Plenty of "pro-choice" people vote for "pro-life" candidates (including me because I am generally conservative).

It's one issue. I don't think voting on more than one issue makes people hypocrites.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:07 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,032,190 times
"In South Carolina, voters who said that religion matters a great deal to voted 9 percent for Mitt Romney and 43 percent for Gingrich. Among voters who said religion was not important, 42 percent voted for Romney. Let me repeat. 9 percent to 42 percent depending on the voter's religiosity. And the largest religious voting block in South Carolina is Evangelicals."

That is despicable. A Jim Crow religious litmus test. What SC may have built is the foundation for Obama's second term.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:08 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,772,905 times
Quote:
Evangelical Republicans Are Hypocrites
Clearly not all of them. Just the ones that are willing to support an amoral SOB like Newt Gingrich, especially those who voted for him so they didn't have to vote for the Mormon guy.

But I think a lot of them fell for one of Newton LeRoy's patented con jobs. They actually think he is a career conservative Republican when nothing could be further from the truth. Newton's was a moderate if ever there was one. He record says he's closer to being a Democrat than any Republican I've ever seen run for President.

Not doubt, they see him talking over everyone and yelling at people in debates and they're thinking, "This is the guy that'll beat Obama!" Those ones are complete idiots and unbelievably gullible, but they're not entirely bigoted nor hypocritical.

The majority of Evangelicals aren't the problem. It's the idiot minority. Apparently, in South Carolina that idiot minority is a lot bigger than most states. Just ask Miss South Caroline 2007. They don't have maps. We need to sent them some.

Seriously, when I heard Gingrich entered the race last summer I thought it was a joke!!

Old 01-21-2012, 11:08 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,515,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
That is despicable. A Jim Crow religious litmus test. What SC may have built is the foundation for Obama's second term.
I agree that it's horrible. It's even worse given that Romney has better "family values" and has behaved in a far more "Christian" manner than Newt. I guess they don't really care about values after all...they just care about hating Mormons.

I don't agree that Newt is likely to be the nominee. I think he may just be experiencing a second surge as "flavor of the week." I'm concerned about Florida and I wasn't before, but I am not THAT surprised that Newt won SC.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,032,190 times
I do agree Newt will not be the nominee, but he may wound MR enough to make a 2nd Obama term inevitable. I doubt the idiots who do compose most of the primary base will be smart enough to put 2 and 2 together afterwards.

Although, it should be noted, there is NO party registration in SC. Anyone can vote in any primary.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,206,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Is the title a broad brush? Does it apply to every Evangelical Republican? No. But I believe the broad brush applies to a whole lot of them.

In South Carolina, voters who said that religion matters a great deal to voted 9 percent for Mitt Romney and 43 percent for Gingrich. Among voters who said religion was not important, 42 percent voted for Romney. Let me repeat. 9 percent to 42 percent depending on the voter's religiosity. And the largest religious voting block in South Carolina is Evangelicals.

I heard a lot of excuses like "Newt has family values" and "Newt is more honest" to explain why they vote for him. Let's be honest -- it was code for Romney is a Mormon!!!!.

Newt got kicked out of Congress for ethics violations, and Newt his a serial cheater, who has treated his ex-wives like dirt. Yet now he is now the "values" candidate in this contest. On the radio today, I actually heard one voter as say he would rather vote for a serial adulterer than a Mormon. What a disgusting display of bigotry and hypocrisy due to blinding religious bias.

I agree and I am becoming more and more embarrassed to be both a Republican and a southerner. I will say that I grew up in the southern Baptist church and never saw this sort of bigotry against other religions very much. However, my own family was not like that and we were taught at home not to judge other people's religious followings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections