Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:04 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

I am gay. I was pleased when Obama announced his personal support for same-sex marriage. But it's just that -- personal.

Obama has stated that he believes same-sex marriage should be left for the states to decide, which is exactly how it always has been. He will not seek a constitutional amendment to federalize gay marriage.

Romney believes we need a constitutional amendment to keep marriage defined as between a man and a woman. However, the chances of this happening are ZERO! Do you know what it takes to pass a constitutional amendment? Both the House and Senate in Congress must BOTH vote in favor of the amendment with a 2/3 majority vote. Once this passes, the amendment goes to each of the 50 states, and must pass with 75% of the states' votes. Does anyone seriously think this will even happen? I mean, 50% of Americans support same-sex marriage as of this year. I can't see any sort of federal/constitutional amendment to legalize or ban same-sex marriage.

In other words, regardless of who is elected president, NOTHING will change for the gay community in terms of marriage equality. Nothing.

I am gay and support same-sex marriage, but I'm just being realistic. Plus, why do gays act like same-sex marriage is the one and only issue our country is facing?! I mean, Republican's aren't even thinking about gay marriage. Instead, they're thinking about taxes, healthcare, economy, jobs, etc. They're not voting for Romney because he's against gay marriage (except for a small minority). I find it disturbing that so many gays are single-issue people and fail to see the big picture of what is happening in our country right now.

Once again, I am gay, and out with certain people. I am 100% happy with who I am. But it's frustrating that most gays overlook ALL other issues and only focus on marriage. Ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 01:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
I think most people just have enough to think about besides that.

To me, if one is a conservative you must necessarily believe that government should intrude in the private lives of its citizens as little as possible. In that sense, I simply don't care who marries whom, as long as they are both of the legal age of consent. Because it's not my business and it's not the business of the Federal government. That is conservatism.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am gay. I was pleased when Obama announced his personal support for same-sex marriage. But it's just that -- personal.

Obama has stated that he believes same-sex marriage should be left for the states to decide, which is exactly how it always has been. He will not seek a constitutional amendment to federalize gay marriage.

Romney believes we need a constitutional amendment to keep marriage defined as between a man and a woman. However, the chances of this happening are ZERO! Do you know what it takes to pass a constitutional amendment? Both the House and Senate in Congress must BOTH vote in favor of the amendment with a 2/3 majority vote. Once this passes, the amendment goes to each of the 50 states, and must pass with 75% of the states' votes. Does anyone seriously think this will even happen? I mean, 50% of Americans support same-sex marriage as of this year. I can't see any sort of federal/constitutional amendment to legalize or ban same-sex marriage.

In other words, regardless of who is elected president, NOTHING will change for the gay community in terms of marriage equality. Nothing.

I am gay and support same-sex marriage, but I'm just being realistic. Plus, why do gays act like same-sex marriage is the one and only issue our country is facing?! I mean, Republican's aren't even thinking about gay marriage. Instead, they're thinking about taxes, healthcare, economy, jobs, etc. They're not voting for Romney because he's against gay marriage (except for a small minority). I find it disturbing that so many gays are single-issue people and fail to see the big picture of what is happening in our country right now.

Once again, I am gay, and out with certain people. I am 100% happy with who I am. But it's frustrating that most gays overlook ALL other issues and only focus on marriage. Ugh!
What a sensible approach. You are right, in every point even if I happen not to be in favor of same sex marriga. THe Pres of the USA isn't going to change this, no one is and eventually it will be a non issue. I happen to feel the same about abortion. With the exception of late term abortions, though I am pro life, I don't think abortion rights or lack of same should be an issue in the Pres election. Roe versus Wade will be with us forever. No Pres is going to choose supreme court juctices that are going to overturn it. If they were going to, it would have happened under Bush.

Nita

Old 06-18-2012, 01:46 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Well, perhaps in practical terms nothing will happen. But if I were gay, I would have a hard time placing my trust in Romney. He has shown he has no courage or convictions on this issue. Which means you are at the mercy of the Tea Party faction. If they get the power, or feel the need to consolidate their power, I would not be surprised if they throw you under the bus as a classic "wedge issue." Your cause will not advance under Romney, and may just regress.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:51 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Conservatives want social issues out there because they know that as a Mormon, Romney will not get the vote of the religious right unless these issues are front and center just like in 2004 when bush promised that he would ban gay marriage if the religious right voted for him. and we all know how that turned out.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:53 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,075,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Conservatives want social issues out there because they know that as a Mormon, Romney will not get the vote of the religious right unless these issues are front and center just like in 2004 when bush promised that he would ban gay marriage if the religious right voted for him. and we all know how that turned out.
How wrong and ill informed can one be?

The Democrats have been bringing up social issues to distract the people from the economic disasters and creating phony wars on everybody to demonize the right....

Old 06-18-2012, 01:56 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
How wrong and ill informed can one be?

Well judging from your post, very ill informed. The right are the ones wanting to ban gay marriage, the right are the ones wanting to ban abortions and so on and so on.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Surveys have indicated the issue will not impact the election one way or another.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:31 PM

92 posts, read 56,769 times
It should be a non issue period. Government does not need to invade people's marriage. No matter if they are woman/man woman/woman or man/man. It is none of the governments business. They make these things issues by sticking their nose in them.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:39 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
There already is an amendment to the Constitution that ensures rights of gays to marry: the 14th Amendment equal protection clause. The anti-gay marriage laws are so unconstitutional that even the Republican activist court will go 8-1 on this next year when it gets there. Obama is a constitutional law prof and knows that the opponents will never be able to show a valid public purpose in denying marriage rights to gays. They are losing in all the lower courts. Just be patient for another year or so. It will be faster than an amendment which would get nowhere with the bigots who pull Romney's strings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections