Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 11:25 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,536,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The scary thing, dixiegirl7, is as I posted elsewhere, a POSITIVE message is needed to win the real election, and none of these clowns has one. Those little slogans we all diss, Reagan's Shining City on a Hill, Clinton's I Still Believe in a Place called Hope, and Obama's Yes, we can..they play perfectly into America's penchant for optimism, and simply running a "I hate Obama" message is not going to cut it.

News flash: all 3 aforementioned campaign themes had already been utilized.masively.at this point in each campaign.
Romney sort of has one..."let's fight for the America we love."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 11:31 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,217,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I sort of agree, but I don't think it's all about them being anti-Mormon. I think it's also about abortion and gay issues and all that and just a view that Romney is too moderate.

It all factors in but I have heard from some on the ground that there were so many comments made about the Mormonism. I guess one thing you can say is, ignorant or not, they are honest about it.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:32 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,396,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Romney should convert to Christianity. Then he will be anointed the GOP nominee. That's all he needs to do. Reject Mormonism if you want to be president.
Last I heard Mormons accept Jesus Christ (a rabbi) as their savior. They are Christians. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is what they are called and to me and millions of others they get to be Christians. I think you should study their faith a little more if you want to discuss them.

Start here:
Guest Voices: Are Mormons Christians? - On Faith at washingtonpost.com

Old 01-21-2012, 11:34 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,217,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
For starters that doesn't work, as shown in 2008 with Limbaugh urging supporters to vote for Clinton.

Secondly, South Carolina doesn't register by Party, so yes it is an open Primary system, but that actually benefited Romney and hurt Gingrich. Among Republicans the exit polls showed Newt getting 45% of Republicans, and yes Florida is a closed Primary state.

I think it did actually work to some degree. It definitely drew it out which is the motivation. Of course, it doesn't help when you have idiots on your own side telling people to do the same thing (Sarah Palin).

Old 01-21-2012, 11:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,057,498 times
Tom9, While I agree with you, we need to treat as imbeciles anyone who would let a candidates religion or lack thereof factor into a voting decision. When candidate X beats Y over religion, X has pimped the people who voted for him.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:37 PM

22,272 posts, read 19,610,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
We do need to remember that Romney is actually still leading in delegates with 33. If SC is winner take all why does this show Newt with only 21?

Full GOP delegate count so far | Conservative Byte
Different sites are reporting differing figures for the delegate counts, not sure where they are getting 33 for Romney from.

As far as SC goes, the delegates are winner take all, but split between the statewide total and CD total. Most sites seem to show 23-2, Newt. 11 delegates for the statewide winner, with the remaining 14 going to the winner of each of the 7 Congressional districts (2 for each district won). Some reports show 5-1 Gingrich in the district total with 1 being undecided, but it appears most are giving 6 of the 7 CD's to Newt. It is subject to perhaps change, as its based off the CD totals under the new lines, which are not yet final.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 PM

22,272 posts, read 19,610,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I think it did actually work to some degree. It definitely drew it out which is the motivation. Of course, it doesn't help when you have idiots on your own side telling people to do the same thing (Sarah Palin).
The motivation was to draw it out, and it did drag on, but not because Rush said to or Republicans were voting for Clinton.

In this particular case, there is no evidence whatsoever that Democrats in any degree came out to vote in the Primary, and the evidence that does exist shows that South Carolina having an open Primary system actually helped Romney and hurt Newt.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:44 PM

"there is no evidence whatsoever that Democrats in any degree came out to vote in the Primary, and the evidence that does exist shows that South Carolina having an open Primary system actually helped Romney and hurt Newt"

Which tells me SC Repubs are as DUMB as Northeners think they are. I grew up in the Northeast, so I have seen both perspectives.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:46 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,398,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
No get your facts straight. The Republican party is an AMERICAN party. Like there's no Southern Democrats either.
You need a reality check.

The Republican Party's stronghold is the south....period, point blank. If you don't realize that by now, you're woefully misinformed. Without the South, it's a NOTHING party.

I'm not saying that there are no Southern Democrats, but the south hasn't been a Democratic Stronghold in 3 decades....almost 4. Wake up.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 PM

"The Republican Party's stronghold is the south"

True, and McCain held the south. How many terms did he serve? see the GOP problem is the Southerners cannot count to 270. They cannot reconcile themselves to nominatng a man/woman acceptable in the swing states. Needing thos states hurts their itty bitty egos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections