Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,332,615 times

Advertisements

If Gingrich does get the nomination, he can't really campaign on the values platform.

For evangelicals this is a bread and butter issue, at least I thought, until SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

14,975 posts, read 16,531,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is strange. When did Republicans start calling each other out over bigotry of any kind?

Oh...yea, when the victim is a white Mormon. Gotcha. I lost my mind for a second there.
I call out bigots without caring whether they're Republicans, Democrats, or independents or who they're displaying bigotry towards.

56,966 posts, read 35,380,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Which is why I laugh at anyone who says this election will be an easy win for Obama. This isn't 2008.
Again, 50/50....about the same chance he had in the last election against McCain/Palin until pretty late in the game when it became clear that he was gonna smoke them pretty badly.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:00 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,050,472 times
Correct, desertdetroiter, and what the South shows is NY and CA political types are SMARTER, as they accept their side needs others support.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If Gingrich does get the nomination, he can't really campaign on the values platform.

For evangelicals this is a bread and butter issue, at least I thought, until SC.
Republicans can't campaign on values regardless of the candidate because the opponent (Obama) isn't vulnerable on that issue. So the whole subject of values is off the table anyway.

Polls already show that Obama is fairly strong on the values issue anyway, even among folks that don't like him.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:03 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,050,472 times
That is a good point, values and terrorism, two normally weak issues for the Dems, will need to be off the table.

That is why a MR "It's the economy, stupid" campaign is the sole path to the WH. Normal paths, mentioned above, are not available.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:04 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,332,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Such is the dilemma for the GOP. They made their bed with the Solid South and white religious Protestant Conservatives since the late 60's, and now they have to lay in it.

So although the south can't win the election for the GOP, the GOP can't win without the South. Strange, but that's the way it is.
There is a saying, don't put your eggs in one basket.

Texas, the king of the Southern states has been gaining many Hispanic residents in the past decades. Now even though many of these Hispanics are conservative, the racially charged GOP campaigns of yesteryear will not jive very well with them. Add to this that many northerners, especially minority northerners have been migrating to the South.

Quite a pickle for Republicans. Just like Newt's mistress, the GOP is f!@#d

Old 01-22-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Correct, desertdetroiter, and what the South shows is NY and CA political types are SMARTER, as they accept their side needs others support.
Not to dog the South, but myopia isn't exactly a bad word down there....it's a virtue.

To their credit, they have certain principles, and they don't bend very much on 'em. Hell, they have polls showing that large numbers of voters in Mississippi and Alabama STILL think that interracial marriage should be illegal. Never seen a poll of that question for South Carolinian's, but i guarantee you that there isn't much of a difference.

So again, the GOP made this bed many moons ago, strengthened this relationship even further with people like Lee Atwater in the 80's, and this is the result.

Sad, but true.

14,975 posts, read 16,531,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
That is a good point, values and terrorism, two normally weak issues for the Dems, will need to be off the table.

That is why a MR "It's the economy, stupid" campaign is the sole path to the WH. Normal paths, mentioned above, are not available.
Yep.

And it all depends on how the economy does between now and November.

If it improves significantly, Obama will win re-election.

If it stays the same, it will be an uphill battle for Romney, but he could pull it off.

If it gets worse, it would be much easier for Romney.

1,482 posts, read 2,394,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
A lot of people in the South (and, to a lesser extent, elsewhere around the country) feel very differently.
Yes but they can't tell you why a Mormon is not a Christian except for simply ranting but giving nothing more to go on. If a man tells me he believes in the word of Jesus Christ I have no other recourse than to call him a Christian. If a man adamantly tells me he believes in the teachings of Buddha I have to say he is a Buddhist. I an I am even more obligated if I see that that person is following what he claims to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections