Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:11 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
I thought that charities that were legit had to get a city permit to ask for money at intersections? That way, if they are permitted, they should have more credibility. Might be worth contacting Plano City Hall on that one.

And for what it's worth... do you realize that you're on a public street? That means you'll have to deal with the public - the good, the bad and the ugly.
Correct. If the city allows it then the can collect on that cities public streets. I saw some the other day at the corner of 190 & Coit. Did I give to them? No. I used it as a chance to explain to my daughter how some people do need to go out and collect money in this fashion and that depending on the charity I do give to them. For the one I saw the other day I could not tell what charity it was nor did I even see a name or sign on the bucket. I went on to explain that there are times we do give to those that say they are in "need" and they may end up using the money in a way that WE did not intend for it to be used. While it makes us sad and hurts in our hearts I told her that someday it is the part of us that we will answer to when we meet God. They will also have to answer to their misuse of funds given to them and used unwisely. I try to use these things as a lesson.

What area cities DO have laws against panhandling?

Now, can someone get the little children selling little goodies off the streets of Cabo San Lucas. It really ruins my trips there when I have to feel the need to give them a quarter for something I don't need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 09:11 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebinD View Post
That goes to the heart of the difference here.

Some people see those people and think -ewww...poor...dirty...criminal and they don't want to see it. they live in a sanitized world and anything that challenges your utopia is relegated to object status - clutter if you will. Something to "deal with" , and compare them to inanimate objects like signs!

Some people see those people and see - pain...tragedy...guilt -some of us see the PEOPLE and wonder about them -and wonder about the city of Dallas being the largest city without a city run homeless shelter, wonder when last they ate, wonder where they will go when the storms hit, wonder how they got there, wonder how a country so proud of it's soldiers could be so unforgiving to it veterans. They are people and they have a story and a life. They are real and they don't always stay where they "belong".
You have a good heart my friend. May many blessings be sent your way.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:13 AM

105 posts, read 240,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
That's why lh post regarding permits was pertinent. If it is legal, there's nothing that can be done about it. If it's not, then they will be removed.
Natch - of course you can't just pass a law, responsible city management should provide an alternative. I think a nice homeless shelter and day laborer center should go in right near Target.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:13 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'll have to agree w/ lhnewbie. WHAT A SNOB!!!!!!!! So those "poor" people over in EAST Plano or CENTRAL Plano do not deserve the same respect YOU DO since YOU live in WEST Plano. Right Sorry honey, the CITY of Plano is NOT going to institute a law that DIVIDES the city into zones as such. For the CITY of Plano to try to make different laws for one side of Plano ONLY would be ASSININE and only showing how SOME people view themselves better than others. Exactly what YOU have demonstrated. Talk about an uproar and I'd be rooting for those "poor" people over in EAST Plano on this one. Yep, EAST Plano is soooooooo POOR that the PRESIDENT of TI lives on THAT SIDE Shot, even the PRESIDENT of the Dallas UNITED WAY lives on the EAST side of 75 (just not in Plano but a "lowly" burb)

Maybe YOU should stop limiting your daily drives to just WEST Plano. Let me guess, you have even tried to have "WEST Plano" put on your drivers license because you want EVERYONE to know you don't just "live in Plano" but rather WEST Plano.
Funny, this sounds much like the rants we've heard numerous times when you were on the other side, shilling for where you live. You can "root" all you want, but until you live there and pay taxes there, you don't get a say.

And she can define the area in which she lives as west Plano, her subdivision, or her street. The fact is she doesn't want to see it where she lives, and she's perfectly entitled to that expectation, in her town.

.....However ridiculous that expectation may be.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
I think there are two issues here:

1. Are the people at the corners legally allowed to be there. No one has posted any info on this other than my comments about calling City Hall to see if there is a permitting process for said charities on street corners.

2. The attitude of privilege. This is where my last post came from. If it's legal, and I am assuming it is, then maybe you should keep your snobbishness (is that a word) behind the gates of your neighborhood (I'm presuming that a person that thinks they shouldn't have to see the less fortunate lives in a gated community to keep the rubbish out).

Just because a person is arguing point #2 doesn't make it any less relevant, it's just a different argument completely.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebinD View Post
Natch - of course you can't just pass a law, responsible city management should provide an alternative. I think a nice homeless shelter and day laborer center should go in right near Target.
I wouldn't call that thinking. I'd call it dreaming. And yes, a city most assuredly can pass a law regarding these things. They can pass a law on vagrancy, loitering, panhandling, and use of the right of way.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:20 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
Quote:
Why is it unreasonable to assume the point was: we give in our own way; we shouldn't have to deal with it on the streets?

To many people it's visual clutter, no less than bandit signs in the right of way. Many cities have ordinances banning those. And in her town, her opinion does mean more than yours. She's not complaining about them in LH...

Your post regarding permits was much more relevant.
So if non-Plano residents should not chime in with their opinions, perhaps Rachie should not have posted here in the first place. After all this is the "Dallas" forum, not the "Plano" forum

Ty I really do not have a problem with you. You made a post several pages back that I agree with totally, and that is that posts such as the original one do more harm than good for Plano.

What if someone from out of state came to this forum and was thinking about moving to Plano. All someone would have to do is point them to this thread and they probably would not want to move to Plano. Dallas in general has a bad rap the precedes it, this stuff only perpetuates a negative stereotype.

I can only hope that the OP's sentiment stems from some belief that if she doesn't see it, she can pretend it does not exist. To say that certain people "don't belong" in her area is nothing short of segregation.

You and Rachie may not like seeing those things, and may not like it in your area, but you can't say they don't belong.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:22 AM

105 posts, read 240,611 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call that thinking. I'd call it dreaming. And yes, a city most assuredly can pass a law regarding these things. They can pass a law on vagrancy, loitering, panhandling, and use of the right of way.
duh - of course they can pass a law - sarcasm dude! (ETA or dudette )

Old 08-22-2008, 09:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Mary, you make a lot of assumptions about where people's sentiments/motivations come from, and that is biggest reason we are having an argument on this thread.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
I think there are two issues here:

1. Are the people at the corners legally allowed to be there. No one has posted any info on this other than my comments about calling City Hall to see if there is a permitting process for said charities on street corners.

2. The attitude of privilege. This is where my last post came from. If it's legal, and I am assuming it is, then maybe you should keep your snobbishness (is that a word) behind the gates of your neighborhood (I'm presuming that a person that thinks they shouldn't have to see the less fortunate lives in a gated community to keep the rubbish out).

Just because a person is arguing point #2 doesn't make it any less relevant, it's just a different argument completely.
And again, you're absolutely correct. Personally, I think the OP should check into it if it bothers her so much. That's pretty much going to be a black and white issue, and if it's legal, and she is still bothered by it, then she can work to try to get it changed (we can only hope she has better things to do).

As far as attitude, go back to my post early on in the thread. Every town is going to have citizens with different levels of expectations. Always been that way, always will. It's their town, not yours. They get a say, you don't (of course I mean 'you' as in anyone who doesn't live there).

The OP wasn't trying to get anyone in other towns to believe what she does, yet many are trying to force their beliefs on her. If it really bothers someone that badly, then for God's sake, move to that town and try to change it. Otherwise, your passionate, semi controlled rants, your insults, and your attempts to force others to subscribe to your values are all in vain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas